Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 2/7/2021 at 7:32 AM, hello_psych said:

Hello people who applied to CCNY (CUNY)! Did anyone figure out what was the deal with CUNY's application system this year? Someone on the results page had posted there were some issues with applications (unclear as to what that was exactly). And another person had posted that CUNY sent their rejection letter to an email ID they had not provided the school with, so basically security concerns. 

It also seems like some people received rejection letters from CCNY but I have neither received an interview invite or a rejection notification. So, what exactly is the deal here? Should I assume rejection? Note that I had reached out to their admissions to ask when I can expect to hear back but they never replied. 

I don't know about the application issues but CCNY has already extended all interview invites. I interviewed there on February 4th and their second interview day is the 9th. 

1 hour ago, clinicpsyyyc said:

Anyone hear back from Harvard yet?

Received this response last week (Feb 3rd) from the department: 

"Thank you for your interest in the Clinical Psychology PhD program at Harvard. Faculty are currently reviewing applications and conducting interviews. Interviews (whether via phone, Zoom, or in person) are always part of the admissions process for our eventual admits, but not all applicants will receive an interview. We expect interviews to take place through mid-February. Admissions decisions will be sent out in early March." 

22 minutes ago, sweetater said:

have people being hearing back from the PGSP PsyD consortium? I have seen postings on the results page but haven't heard anything from them

I interviewed with them 1/12 but haven't heard anything since. Judging from previous years' results they don't send final decisions out till mid-late February.

27 minutes ago, Baguette said:

I interviewed with them 1/12 but haven't heard anything since. Judging from previous years' results they don't send final decisions out till mid-late February.

Thank you so much for this! did you apply early decision or regular?

Is anyone else feeling pressure from schools to make a decision? I got accepted into my top choice last week and I really want to accept the offer (and they’re pressuring me to accept it), but next week I have my last interview with a program that is VERY good, but I feel kinda meh about the PI. Is it wrong of me to keep my top choice waiting so I can go to an interview to this other program? I feel like I am being rude, but also want to explore ALL my options??

5 minutes ago, Frogandtoad said:

Is anyone else feeling pressure from schools to make a decision? I got accepted into my top choice last week and I really want to accept the offer (and they’re pressuring me to accept it), but next week I have my last interview with a program that is VERY good, but I feel kinda meh about the PI. Is it wrong of me to keep my top choice waiting so I can go to an interview to this other program? I feel like I am being rude, but also want to explore ALL my options??

I do not think it is rude on your part. But I do think it is rude on the part of the program to try to pressure you to make a decision before April 15th!

2 hours ago, Frogandtoad said:

I'm in the same boat. I have one acceptance, and I accepted it because it was my top choice. Maybe that was too eager of me. But then I unexpectedly got an interview from a program ranked even higher, though my PI options aren't too flexible there.  Although my gut feeling tells me that I'll end up finally going with my first choice anyway, I still think it would've been better if I had waited. I don't like the idea of being that person who accepts an offer and then rejects it later.
So I believe that it's right of you to wait it out. And it's only a matter of one week. I hope you get more clarity after the second institute's interview day. All the best with your decision making process!

Edited by anindianchick

2 hours ago, Yikesimstressed said:

If the UMSL acceptance poster sees this and is willing to DM their initials I’d really appreciate it! Congratulations!!! :)

I'm a little confused about that acceptance...the DCT was very clear that he would be calling to give initial offers. All historical data says they call. Seems weird to me?

12 hours ago, Frogandtoad said:

All schools need to follow the rules - they CANNOT pressure you or ask you to make a decision before April 15. Of course they want to know sooner, because it helps them know that they can fill their cohort and get their top picks. But you can absolutely finish your other interviews and wait to hear if you have other offers before responding to your first offer. It is not rude to wait.

On the other side of this, holding on to multiple offers until April 15 is also not good etiquette and leaves programs and many other applicants on waiting lists in a tough spot. So take your time to decide, and then offers go when you know you won't accept them.

15 hours ago, Frogandtoad said:

It's unacceptable for the school to be pressuring you but I was also advised by my mentor that there is kind of an ~unspoken rule~ that you should not be holding on to more than one offer at a time. It does sound you only have the one offer you are holding on to so I do not see the issue in waiting to interview at the next school. It seems that your concerns with the upcoming school is the PI so you'll probably quickly figure out during that interview if you just want to accept your top choice.

15 hours ago, Frogandtoad said:

The school shouldn't make you feel pressured to make a decision. You have the right to wait until April 15th to make a decision! However, it is just courteous to inform the school of your decision as soon as possible once you decide. Allows applicants on the waitlist plenty of time and saves them some stress. 

17 minutes ago, stressednsleepdeprived said:

Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting off a waitlist post-interview may be? 

It completely depends on the program and the year and who is ahead of you and how many interviews/offers they have and are waiting on and if the POI gets to make another offer if their first choice turns them down and so many other factors.  But know that MANY people are accepted from waitlists every year. And it doesn't mean you are second or third best. Don't give up yet! 

Someone posted for Harvard: "I emailed the Program Coordinator and she said that most of the interview invitations have already been sent. She also said that the faculty is still conducting interviews and there's a slim chance of still getting one. However, it should be safe to assume that if we have not gotten an invitation yet, we will not be getting one this year. Good luck everyone and best wishes!"

I emailed the Program Coordinator just now to see if my PI: RM is receiving funding, seeing as some faculty members are not getting it for the upcoming year; if he is, I asked if interview invites have been sent out for him.

Fingers crossed.