Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

40 minutes ago, EyelandPychePhD said:

Have you noticed how seemingly personal the PsyD essays (equivalent to the PhD statement of purpose) are? They seem to be asking for autobiographical information which feels strange to me because I have read on so many occasions that self-disclosure about something personal is not appropriate in the context of applications. For example, some of the prompts might say something like, "Describe an ongoing conflict you've had with a person, or someone who you've had feelings of ambivalence toward. What is your understanding of your feelings toward this person. What has happened in your life which contributes to how you view this person?" (paraphrasing obviously)- but then they might even add the caveat, "this question requires a degree of self-disclosure". I have some ideas on how to balance the line between just enough self-disclosure, keeping the topic oriented toward how this situation made me shaped my perception and growth in a way that would make me a better clinician. It just feels so odd to self-disclose in this setting, but I am actually excited to tackle this challenging prompt given the strange ramifications. The perfect formula must be to divulge some hints about how you think and work through problems and how you experience yourself subjectively and intersubjectively, without getting too "wierd" with it. And, of course, only disclosing information to make a point about how it made you a better aspiring psychologist. Again, I have read in so many instances that disclosing personal information is not a good idea (to name some random examples, such as talking about an abusive romantic partner or substance-abusing parent) in the setting of an application. Sure, perhaps this factored into you're decision to pursue psychology, but I've been told not to self-disclose, unless the interviewer asks something like "tell me about yourself, what are your hobbies" and then you can proceed to tell them about how you are training for a marathon or taking up knitting. I was so thrown off when I saw that a lot of the PsyD programs are outwardly asking you to self-disclose. 

Yikes, which programs are these? That honestly sounds like a red-flag of the program, in that they might not be too focused on providing evidence-based training. 

10 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Your credentials seem pretty solid. I wouldn't worry about the lack of clinical experience. Unless you have a master's, very little clinical experience available post-bacc is actually anything remotely similar to what a psychologist does. You have a good number of presentations, and it isn't expected to have multiple publications without an advanced degree. I have to respectfully disagree with EyelandPsychePhD about publishing in open access journals by yourself. PIs want to see that you are open to learning how to properly conduct and disseminate research. Publishing something in a low impact open-access pay to play journal won't necessarily signal the right message, and can instead backfire. They may think you feel you do not need mentorship since you are striking out on your own at this early stage of the game, they may question your academic/scientific standards, etc. While these may in no way represent you, these are just some pre-conceived notions PIs may develop from the limited information they have about you. I don't know how far a publication in 1 of those journals will bump you up, and there is a likelihood it'll bump you down. 

In terms of school selection, faculty research fit should be #1. Honestly, location should be dead last. While it is understandable that you may want to live somewhere "more exciting" like New England or California, so does everyone else. Those schools get hundreds more applications simply for their location, so the competition is much steeper. In terms of culture, even universities in more mid-western areas are typically going to have small city/college town vibes that have things like coffee shops, music venues, etc. on the off chance you actually have some free time (chances are, you won't have very much of it anyway). Plus, this field is one where relocation is more the rule than the exception. You will also likely have to relocate again for internship and possibly for post-doc and your 1st job (if you want to go TT academia, you will almost 100% have to relocate for your 1st job. Given your interest in some clinical science programs like Harvard and UC Berkeley, I'm assuming a research-oriented career is your goal). Also, interviews are just as important for the applicant as for the program. If you apply to a program in a "less desirable" geographic location but a good research fit and are granted an interview, it is fine to go in with the open question of "can I see myself here for 5-6 years?" Chances are that your stipend will go further and make it easier to afford COL in those areas anyway. 

Thanks so much for your insight. In terms of publications, I agree and will not be submitting any more papers before applying.

In terms of the school selection, I also believe faculty research fit is key...how do you go about finding the faculty you most want to work with? I have been looking at schools/programs and then the faculty accepting students for this cycle, reading their research and seeing who, if any, I'd like to work with. I guess, in terms of location, I am from the Boston area and am working in a Harvard lab now so I'd like to stay in NE, however, you raise good points about how many other people also want to come here...lol. Perhaps I need to get over the fact that I may live in a state I am unfamiliar with and far from my family. 

In conclusion, I am rethinking to add a few mid-western schools. But still a little overwhelmed/unsure about how to search for faculty. Lit. searches?

Thanks!!

20 minutes ago, scientistsam said:

In conclusion, I am rethinking to add a few mid-western schools. But still a little overwhelmed/unsure about how to search for faculty. Lit. searches?

Thanks!!

Yep. Looking at a program's website might give you some idea what POIs are researching, however, you might not get the full picture. 

If you already have specific research interests, best bet is to look at the authors of papers you like/ have referenced in your work. Look at the institution of the authors, see if they are currently accepting students, or if they are young - from which lab. 

Contacting potential supervisors also might work - while their website mentions the general areas of research, they may be currently undertaking new projects, thinking about new areas or actively looking to switch into some new sub-field (it happened to me more times that I can count). Remember there is a time lag of 2-3 years or so between the time they research something and when they publish, so you may be surprised. Only way you can know this is if you contact them or have a contact in their lab.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, scientistsam said:

Thanks!!

I agree with the advice @SoundofSilence gave above. Do a search in Google Scholar and/or look through articles of interest you've saved and start there. Since you seem particularly interesting in programs with a Clinical Science lean, maybe also check out the PCSAS accredited list and see what faculty fit with your interests: https://www.pcsas.org/accreditation/accredited-programs/

Hi everyone!! Just posting because I'm getting nervous about my application stats.. I'm applying to a PhD in clinical psychology, and I'm only applying to schools that I feel are a direct match to my research interests (which have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the amount of schools i'm applying to.. which is also making me nervous lol).

At this point i'm mostly concerned about my GPA. in undergrad I had a 3.45 overall, but a 3.7 psych GPA. I recently completed a Masters but due to some ~mental health issues~ and taking very difficult research/stats heavy classes I didn't do as well as I would have liked (I finished with a 3.58, and most of the research/stats heavy classes I took had a B average anyways). I feel like my Masters GPA might screw me over... because grades in some programs can be inflated. I do not want to address my 'challenges' during my masters in my statement, because I know that's a red flag for schools/advisors. I do, however, have a very strong cv with posters and two pubs so i'm hoping this will be my saving grace. I guess I just want to know if anyone else is feeling the same way? If I'm over thinking or if this is something I do legitimately need to be concerned about?

On 9/21/2020 at 3:39 PM, ssg said:

At this point i'm mostly concerned about my GPA. in undergrad I had a 3.45 overall, but a 3.7 psych GPA.

I totally feel you! The posters and two publications sound like it can definitely help you though. If you get any interviews, and they ask you about your GPA, then that's something you can share with them if you'd like! 

I'm was also thinking of applying to clinical psych programs, but I think I'm on the other end lol. I have a good GPA but very little research experience. In my opinion, I think you could very well get a few interviews, which is good! Good luck, you got this :) 

Hi everyone!

Anyone applying to Rutgers for PsyD Clinical Psychology program? I recently started working on my SOP but I am a little confused as to what should I add in the SOP. The website seems a little confusing. Do you think it is a good idea to name the research centres I would want to be a part of, if admitted? Or should I be including faculty member names whose research area sort of aligns with mine? Since it is a PsyD program and I am not sure how much of my research experience and interests should I be including in the statement. 

What according to you is the best approach for writing statement of purpose for PsyD programs in general?

Who else has an "official" list of schools they're applying to? (Official is in quotes because I have a finalized list but also a consistent anxious desire to look through programs again just in case lol).

It feels both surreal and exciting to take this big step forward in the process, and feel a bit closer to submitting apps and hopefully getting interviews. 

ATTN: Clinical Psychology Doctoral Applicants for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle

As the chair of the Diversity Committee of the Ph.D. Program in Health Psychology and Clinical Science (HPCS) at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, I am writing to ask your assistance in identifying promising underrepresented or minority students to apply to our doctoral program. HPCS is committed to bringing the knowledge of health and clinical psychologies to bear on understanding and addressing poor mental and physical health with sensitivity to the intersectionality of identities and lived experience. HPCS is accredited by APA in clinical psychology.

We are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion. We acknowledge the importance of recruiting diverse graduate students across ethnic, racial, sexual orientation, and other identities from across the nation in order to create a professoriate that more closely reflects the heterogeneity across the nation. To that end, we are eager to receive applications from promising underrepresented or minority students whose research interests would fit or add to our Ph.D. program. If you know of any such individuals, please share the attached flyer with them.

As the flyer indicates, we will be hosting an open house for potential applicants who are of underrepresented or minority backgrounds on October 5, 2020 from 7:00-9:00 EST. We welcome the participation of your students.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with increasing the diversity of our graduate student applicant pool.  If you have any questions about our Ph.D. Program please do not hesitate to contact me or review our website, www.cuny.hpcs.org

Sincerely,

Margaret Rosario, PhD
Chair, Diversity Committee
Health Psychology and Clinical Science
Graduate Center
City University of New York

New York, NY

hpcsdiversity@gc.cuny.edu

HPCS_Diversity_OpenHouse_Flyer_9-25-20.jpg

On 4/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, EileanDonan said:

Hi! I'm hoping to apply this fall as well, although I don't feel I can definitely say I will between the economic effects of the pandemic and the current status of my CV. I've been splitting my time between volunteering in a lab at my local university, working at a facility for women offenders, and non-relevant remote work. Definitely not ideal, but I've been applying like crazy to full-time research jobs as I find them! I should redo my GRE, but recent developments have really taken the focus off that for the time being.

I'm also aiming for clinical programs, particularly with a forensic specialty. I have 12-15 schools of interest, from Texas A&M and Nevada-Reno to Penn and Yale (you can only dream...) I'm hoping at the very least to be able to apply to the non-crazy-competitive schools this year. I graduated from a small college with smaller research output, so it's been something of an uphill battle for me.

You should look at the Clinical/Forensic program at CUNY's John Jay College if you're not already. I've heard good things!

On 9/27/2020 at 4:39 AM, Aneesha B said:

Hi everyone!

Anyone applying to Rutgers for PsyD Clinical Psychology program? I recently started working on my SOP but I am a little confused as to what should I add in the SOP. The website seems a little confusing. Do you think it is a good idea to name the research centres I would want to be a part of, if admitted? Or should I be including faculty member names whose research area sort of aligns with mine? Since it is a PsyD program and I am not sure how much of my research experience and interests should I be including in the statement. 

What according to you is the best approach for writing statement of purpose for PsyD programs in general?

Hi! I am applying to Rutgers PsyD! I included a faculty member as well as a few classes i was interested in. I would definitely mention research experience that is always good!! The approach I took was to come from a genuine place but also trying to be as straightforward as possible. I have an intro with a little background about me and why I want to pursue psychology, how that developed and a few of my clinical/work experiences. Then dedicated a paragraph to the school.

Has anyone else made much headway on their SoP yet? Out of everything, writing this feels like the most herculean task. Does anyone have any recommendations for any sources/examples they've found particularly helpful with this (I've found some, just curious to hear others' input as well)?

Edited by EileanDonan

7 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Has anyone else made much headway on their SoP yet? Out of everything, writing this feels like the most herculean task. Does anyone have any recommendations for any sources/examples they've found particularly helpful with this (I've found some, just curious to hear others' input as well)?

Honestly, the best advice I've heard is to have as many different people as possible to read it and give feedback (your parents, friends, professors, colleagues, dog, person behind you when the supermarket line is too long). One professor I talked to said he had more than 20 people read his SoP when he was applying and he thought it made a huge difference.

How important is it to email POI before applying? From what I've heard some people email all the PI's they are interested in at different universities, but some people don't email any PI's. Trying to decide if it is worth it to draft out an email or to focus my time on PhD SOP's and PsyD essays. 

1 hour ago, PsychApplicant96 said:

How important is it to email POI before applying? From what I've heard some people email all the PI's they are interested in at different universities, but some people don't email any PI's. Trying to decide if it is worth it to draft out an email or to focus my time on PhD SOP's and PsyD essays. 

The jury's split on this one. Some people think it gets their name out there, so when the PI is reviewing applications, your name stands out. Others also hope that it's a good way to make a good 1st impression. It really depends on the PI. Some try to maintain as neutral as possible and will either not respond or email back a standard "I look forward to reviewing your application." Others may actually start a dialogue and possibly have an informal Zoom call or something, although the latter is more rare I believe, especially in clinical/counseling psych. People get in who have emailed faculty and others have gotten in without emailing faculty. I don't think it necessarily increases chances. However, if you do, it's best to make sure you have a specific question (that cannot be answered by reading their website) and not just say "hi, I'm applying" because they'll see that when they start reviewing applications. 

13 hours ago, PsychApplicant96 said:

The only reason I email PIs is to ask specific questions about their research/lab to make sure they are indeed a good fit for me. And, the only reason I have to do that is if the lab website isn't updated with current projects. I think if you approach it with the mindset of "I want to gather more information for my own purposes" rather than "I need to make a good impression for applications" it shifts the experience a bit (at least for me)

14 hours ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

Honestly, the best advice I've heard is to have as many different people as possible to read it and give feedback (your parents, friends, professors, colleagues, dog, person behind you when the supermarket line is too long). One professor I talked to said he had more than 20 people read his SoP when he was applying and he thought it made a huge difference.

I wonder if this can sort of backfire, though? Last year I initially wanted to approach writing this way, but very quickly got conflicting feedback from multiple people. I eventually went back for more feedback from one mentor that I really trusted, and that got me much farther in less time. 

I would really only use friends/family for grammar/spelling checks, because they don't know what is expected for these types of statements. 

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

I wonder if this can sort of backfire, though? Last year I initially wanted to approach writing this way, but very quickly got conflicting feedback from multiple people. I eventually went back for more feedback from one mentor that I really trusted, and that got me much farther in less time. 

I would really only use friends/family for grammar/spelling checks, because they don't know what is expected for these types of statements. 

I think it's reasonable to just pick 2-3 of your most trusted profs for their input, especially regarding the more academic and persuasive elements of your SoP. Friends and family do make sense for critiquing general flow, but unless they're familiar with your field as well, I would take these with more of a relative grain of salt.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:39 AM, Aneesha B said:

Hi everyone!

Aneesha, I am also applying to Rutger's Psy.D program and finished my SOP. Well almost. I agree with you that the website is a bit confusing. I did name the research centers/clinics that I am interested in and the faculty member involved in it. I did also include my research experience in my SOP since I've worked in two research labs. The other part of my SOP is my clinical experience and then the last paragraph is about the program and research and why I think it would be a good fit yadayada. I guess it depends how much research experience you have? What other programs are you applying to? This process is so nerve wrecking. I am relieved that Rutgers won't let us submit GRE scores, it is one less anxiety in this whole process, I wish all schools would follow ...

In terms of having others look over SOP, I personally would also not pick more than 3 people otherwise it gets confusing I assume. I would pick one professor, maybe a Ph.D student you know and one other person. I agree with EileanDonan, I would try to pick people in your field. 

Edited by PyschMama

I hope this doesn't just get buried in this thread.

I'm the Associate DCT at the University of Central Florida - UCF (bye-bye anonymity :). A lot of schools are making the decision to waive the GRE this year. We have had dozens (maybe hundreds) of calls/emails asking if we are waiving it for our program. We have been waiting on word from the University as to whether or not we could. We just received word, and immediately made the decision to waive it this year (and potentially for the future as well). To clarify, we aren't just waiving it. We won't see any GREs, whether they're sent or not. So, if you had contacted us, and were dissuaded from applying because the GRE had not been waived yet, please reconsider. 

Now for a shameless plug :). My research group (SURG - twitter: @SUDSuse) will be accepting at least 3 new students (perhaps as many as 6) next year. The mentors are Lidia Meshesha (behavioral economics and substance use), Mike Dunn (drug and alcohol expectancies and alcohol-related sexual violence), and Rob Dvorak (theory driven harm reduction approaches, substance use etiology, and binge eating). All of us have funded research to develop and test mobile (smart phone-based) interventions. Did I mention we also have a large research bar :o? It's a great learning environment, a very cool place to go to school, and one of the most fun, stimulating, and collegial research groups I've ever seen (in fact, I took my lab to Paris last year to present our research!). Anyway, please free to contact any one of us with questions (or to let us know you plan to apply so we can keep an eye out for your application). Best of luck in this crazy process!   

Hi everyone! This is the first time I've every used grad cafe so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong location. One of my LoR writers asked if I could send her links to all my applications ASAP, as she is just wants to make sure she has all of them set and ready to go. For one of the programs I am applying to their application has no place to upload transcripts, personal statements, or even request letter writers despite instructions on their website saying all of this can be done through the application. Is it possible that once I submit application I will receive a link to another portal? I double and triple checked to make sure there isn't a link to a supplementary website to upload my materials and I can't find any information besides a link to the application I filled out already. I wondering if I should reach out to the grad admissions coordinator? I don't want to ask any stupid questions but I also don't want to prematurely send in application that literally has none of the required materials attached. Any thoughts?