Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Third rounder checking in ?‍♀️I am also very nervous. It's really difficult to know how this cycle will shake out. Could be 10x harder, could be better for those of us with extra experience and GRE scores, faculty could have no money for new students... I honestly have no idea. I think the pressure feels more intense this time because I don't know if I have it in me to apply again! 

I totally agree - the idea of going through the process again is so daunting, even without the added craziness of covid

I'm also kinda dreading this cycle, especially as a Canadian applying to American schools. Second time applying (almost my third but decided to work that cycle instead) and it'll be my last time. My first attempt was in 2018/2019--feels like EEEONS ago lol. Sending everyone good vibes!!

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

I'm also kinda dreading this cycle, especially as a Canadian applying to American schools. Second time applying (almost my third but decided to work that cycle instead) and it'll be my last time. My first attempt was in 2018/2019--feels like EEEONS ago lol. Sending everyone good vibes!!

What's next for you if you dont' get in this year?

10 hours ago, HopefulPsych2020 said:

What's next for you if you dont' get in this year?

Thinking of applying to law this cycle too. Anyone else considering that as a backup? 

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

Thinking of applying to law this cycle too. Anyone else considering that as a backup? 

have you completed the LSAT? how did it compare to the GRE. I am also applying to Canadian programs and thinking of school Psych as a backup. I did consider Law but am afraid of my letter of recommendation writers thinking I am not passionate about clinical psych.

I applied once before in 2018 and had no success at application stage but I felt I was going into the process very blind (I'm an international applicant). I didn't apply last cycle because I didn't feel confident and was waiting on two publications however they are still in the reviewing process and recently both got asked for further revisions for the 3rd time both over 1 year (sigh). I'm applying this year but I am worried about this cycle because of the pandemic and if the GRE is waived this will place more attention on other factors. Unfortunately, as well I had a really good RA position in the area of my PhD interest that got pulled last week because I can't relocate due to visa/covid :(

Edited by psychapplicant21

On 8/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, psychapplicant21 said:

I applied once before in 2018 and had no success at application stage but I felt I was going into the process very blind (I'm an international applicant). I didn't apply last cycle because I didn't feel confident and was waiting on two publications however they are still in the reviewing process and recently both got asked for further revisions for the 3rd time both over 1 year (sigh). I'm applying this year but I am worried about this cycle because of the pandemic and if the GRE is waived this will place more attention on other factors. Unfortunately, as well I had a really good RA position in the area of my PhD interest that got pulled last week because I can't relocate due to visa/covid :(

i thought i had it rough. best of luck!

Now that we're getting closer to applications, how many programs are y'all applying to? My expectation is in the 10-12 range, although could go as high as 15. I'm worried about applying to fewer because of competitiveness. I would love to walk out of this cycle with an offer (who doesn't???), but if not, at least a few interviews.

44 minutes ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

Now that we're getting closer to applications, how many programs are y'all applying to? My expectation is in the 10-12 range, although could go as high as 15. I'm worried about applying to fewer because of competitiveness. I would love to walk out of this cycle with an offer (who doesn't???), but if not, at least a few interviews.

I currently have 15 on my list but I am worried about cost. Trying to weigh the chances of getting in to some of my schools versus the amount I will need to pay for the application?

1 hour ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

I think a general rule of thumb is around 10. One of my mentors really shifted my perspective about how many programs to apply to...she said that it's unlikely we have a great fit with 15 programs, and fit is possibly the most important aspect of applications. If it feels like a stretch to draw similarities between faculty research and your interests a program is gonna notice that ya know? It could be better to apply to fewer, have more time to nail your statements and really let fit shine through

1 hour ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

I'm still undecided - my interest list is almost 30, but I have very little idea of how many of the PIs are actually accepting this cycle. I plan on having the list greatly whittled down by the end of September once I've reached out to more folks. I definitely want to stick to the usual 10-15, although this year has been so weird for me. For all I know, I'll just select a handful I'm particularly excited for and otherwise wait till the next cycle (again). I feel like I'll be ancient by the time I start! On the plus side, there's the potential to save loads on GRE costs this year, so it's easier to afford throwing in a few extra schools.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:05 PM, EmpatheticMastermind said:

I currently have a list of around 8 that I am highly interested in. I suppose I should look for more due to competitive nature of these programs. 

Hello everyone!

It will be my first time applying to clinical psych programs and I have a question regarding psych GRE (the subject test). I saw lots of schools not requiring it for the application, but some of them mentioned that due to the requirement of APA, students should take the subject GRE prior to entering the program / by the end of the first year of program. I am wondering if this requirement applies to everyone or only those without a undergrad psych background? In other words, can this be waived if the student have completed certain courses/undergrad degree? I couldn't seem to find this info on the APA website. Info much appreciated!

2 minutes ago, lazyxu said:

Hello everyone!

It will be my first time applying to clinical psych programs and I have a question regarding psych GRE (the subject test). I saw lots of schools not requiring it for the application, but some of them mentioned that due to the requirement of APA, students should take the subject GRE prior to entering the program / by the end of the first year of program. I am wondering if this requirement applies to everyone or only those without a undergrad psych background? In other words, can this be waived if the student have completed certain courses/undergrad degree? I couldn't seem to find this info on the APA website. Info much appreciated!

Can you give an example from a school where this is written? It's been a few years since I applied, but I do not remember coming across anything that said that. The APA doesn't care about the Psych GRE as far as I know and it would make no sense to take a GRE after you've already started a program. 

12 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Can you give an example from a school where this is written? It's been a few years since I applied, but I do not remember coming across anything that said that. The APA doesn't care about the Psych GRE as far as I know and it would make no sense to take a GRE after you've already started a program. 

It's mostly from the following two schools, it seems to be required for UMaryland; for Stony Brook, I was hoping to find specifications for "previous coursework in both developmental and social psychology":

University of Maryland (https://psyc.umd.edu/graduate/frequently-asked-questions-(faq)Is the GRE subject test in Psychology mandatory?
The subject test is recommended, but it is not required.  If you are applying to the Clinical Psychology program however, the GRE Psychology Subject Test must be taken by the end of the first year in the Clinical Psychology Graduate Program. Therefore, the Clinical Psychology Graduate Program highly recommends taking the GRE Psychology Subject Test before applying or before the start of students' first year in the program (Clinical Psychology Only).

Stony Brook (https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/psychology/graduate/admission_requirementsPsychology GRE Test for Clinical Psychology Admissions: 
APA accreditation requires all Clinical Psychology doctoral students to demonstrate entry-level knowledge in major domains of psychological science. To meet these requirements, admitted students to the Clinical Psychology program must have either completed (a) previous coursework in both developmental and social psychology with a grade of B or better, or (b) achieved a score of 70th percentile or higher on the Psychology GRE Test.  There is no Psychology GRE Test requirement to apply to the Clinical Psychology program, but admitted applicants are expected to complete these benchmarks prior to entrance into the program.

Edited by lazyxu

44 minutes ago, lazyxu said:

It's mostly from the following two schools, it seems to be required for UMaryland; for Stony Brook, I was hoping to find specifications for "previous coursework in both developmental and social psychology":

University of Maryland (https://psyc.umd.edu/graduate/frequently-asked-questions-(faq)Is the GRE subject test in Psychology mandatory?
The subject test is recommended, but it is not required.  If you are applying to the Clinical Psychology program however, the GRE Psychology Subject Test must be taken by the end of the first year in the Clinical Psychology Graduate Program. Therefore, the Clinical Psychology Graduate Program highly recommends taking the GRE Psychology Subject Test before applying or before the start of students' first year in the program (Clinical Psychology Only).

Stony Brook (https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/psychology/graduate/admission_requirementsPsychology GRE Test for Clinical Psychology Admissions: 
APA accreditation requires all Clinical Psychology doctoral students to demonstrate entry-level knowledge in major domains of psychological science. To meet these requirements, admitted students to the Clinical Psychology program must have either completed (a) previous coursework in both developmental and social psychology with a grade of B or better, or (b) achieved a score of 70th percentile or higher on the Psychology GRE Test.  There is no Psychology GRE Test requirement to apply to the Clinical Psychology program, but admitted applicants are expected to complete these benchmarks prior to entrance into the program.

The Maryland 1 is so weird. I'm still not sure what the utility of it is for them if they've already admitted you.

Previous coursework just means that you took a class in undergrad that covered developmental psychology and another that covered social psych. If those were the names, that makes it easier to prove equivalency, and they may ask for syllabi if the content was covered but the school just named it something weird. 

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and definitely new to the whole graduate school application process. I am naturally getting anxious about my prospects for next year. I am looking to pursue a PsyD (Rutgers is my top choice), but just received a 150Q/159V score on my GRE. I am mostly concerned that I will have no shot at Rutgers and am beginning to worry about some of the less competitive programs with those scores as well. Rutgers' average GRE is 160V/160Q as a reference. 

I have to begin studying for the Psychology subject test, which will take away time from me boosting my general GRE quant score. Does anyone have any recommendations or has anyone been accepted to Rutgers/ other PsyD programs in the NYC area? I would love to hear from people who have gone through this before.

Thanks!

Hi All!

New to the board so I don't know how to reply directly to quote peoples posts! 

Kenny 12345, I feel ya. My GRE scores were not good this year. I ran into issues with studying enough in a time of family crisis, but I don't know how much I can improve or if I have it in me to retake this year. May apply w/o scores for schools that are waiving GRE. I certainly have not been accepted to Rutgers. Only NYC program I have considered applying is Columbia TC for Counseling or Clinical.

I'm a non-traditional student, (read: older than probably most applicants, with kids) so if there is a specific board for this someone please let me know?

I do have experience applying to grad schools (goodness knows). I have now completed 2 Master's (one in Clinical, and one MS in psychology) along the journey (long story). I have been accepted to one Clinical Psych PsyD program (not APA) that I did not attend, and two Clinical Psych Phd programs (non-APA that I took 6 months of coursework in years ago then did not continue for several reasons). Most recently (last year) was accepted to start a Clinical PhD (APA accredited) this Fall but had to turn down due to location constraints plus zero funding and VERY expensive program.  Totally painful to turn this down, as I am starting to worry I may never get my doctorate.

For anyone who has advice on this, would you suggest me to to keep applying to: APA schools with funding, APA schools w/o funding (but less expensive), or APA very competitive schools (but who knows if they will accept me due to ageism(?) and my limited research experience?  Should I be concerned that my Masters degrees will be a mark against me. For what its worth, my aim is Counseling Psych doctorate rather than Clinical at this point, so perhaps a bit less competitive? I need to stay within a certain geographical radius of my parents who have serious health issues.

I have considered licensing at Masters level several times but have resistance to it. I really am passionate about research in particular areas and would like to teach/supervise/ work at college/university level. . Where I live psychologists make about twice as much as masters level clinicians too so there's that incentive. i have a family to support.

Anyway, I am almost certainly applying to my top choice school (closest to my parents, best fit with POI, funding, is Counseling doctorate) this Fall, perhaps a handful of others. Tough since all other programs in my area are Clinical not Counseling though. Definitely. I still need more research experience. Have about a year and a half of clinical experience. No publications yet (I know).  I welcome any helpful thoughts, suggestions?

3 hours ago, PsychMom7 said:

Hi All!

New to the board so I don't know how to reply directly to quote peoples posts! 

Kenny 12345, I feel ya. My GRE scores were not good this year. I ran into issues with studying enough in a time of family crisis, but I don't know how much I can improve or if I have it in me to retake this year. May apply w/o scores for schools that are waiving GRE. I certainly have not been accepted to Rutgers. Only NYC program I have considered applying is Columbia TC for Counseling or Clinical.

I'm a non-traditional student, (read: older than probably most applicants, with kids) so if there is a specific board for this someone please let me know?

I do have experience applying to grad schools (goodness knows). I have now completed 2 Master's (one in Clinical, and one MS in psychology) along the journey (long story). I have been accepted to one Clinical Psych PsyD program (not APA) that I did not attend, and two Clinical Psych Phd programs (non-APA that I took 6 months of coursework in years ago then did not continue for several reasons). Most recently (last year) was accepted to start a Clinical PhD (APA accredited) this Fall but had to turn down due to location constraints plus zero funding and VERY expensive program.  Totally painful to turn this down, as I am starting to worry I may never get my doctorate.

For anyone who has advice on this, would you suggest me to to keep applying to: APA schools with funding, APA schools w/o funding (but less expensive), or APA very competitive schools (but who knows if they will accept me due to ageism(?) and my limited research experience?  Should I be concerned that my Masters degrees will be a mark against me. For what its worth, my aim is Counseling Psych doctorate rather than Clinical at this point, so perhaps a bit less competitive? I need to stay within a certain geographical radius of my parents who have serious health issues.

I have considered licensing at Masters level several times but have resistance to it. I really am passionate about research in particular areas and would like to teach/supervise/ work at college/university level. . Where I live psychologists make about twice as much as masters level clinicians too so there's that incentive. i have a family to support.

Anyway, I am almost certainly applying to my top choice school (closest to my parents, best fit with POI, funding, is Counseling doctorate) this Fall, perhaps a handful of others. Tough since all other programs in my area are Clinical not Counseling though. Definitely. I still need more research experience. Have about a year and a half of clinical experience. No publications yet (I know).  I welcome any helpful thoughts, suggestions?

Always apply to APA accredited schools that offer funding. The PhD is a long route 5-7 years and even if you are funded, its barely enough for one person to live on, let alone a family. Taking on an unfunded program will mean that you would be in significant debt for a much longer time and you would need much longer than finishing your program to just "break even" with your finances.

It looks like you are geographically restricted and are considering this when applying for grad school, but it is also important to think about this when you apply for internship and post-doc. These application processes are also very competitive and may require you to move to a different state twice, even if you get into a program in your geographical area. Its important to consider whether or not this is a dealbreaker for you.

Finally its important to think about what you would like to do as a clinician. Master's level clinicians can provide psychotherapy, and psychologists can provide psychotherapy and assessment. As someone credentialled with a masters degree, if you wish to teach, you can adjunct some classes (though the pay is usually a bit low for this ~4,000-5,000 a class each semester). The only difference which you outlined is the ability to conduct research independently and the ability to condict assessments. Consider what you would want for a standard day in your practice. And be realistic in your expectations. Most say they want to do research, teaching, and clinical work, (myself included) but in reality most end up choosing 1 or 2 of these things due to time constraints/quality of life/maximizing income.

And a side note, in my experience, ageism shouldnt be an issue. Several students in my program started in their mid 30's-and early 40's so they're not the traditional applicant and did not have an issue.

Hi dr bubbles. Thanks for your reply.

What you say makes sense. I appreciate the input re ageism as well.That is great to know.  I think what I may do is apply to several schools that are at least semi-near my folks. I have looked at these schools several times. Yes most of them are clinical programs, but you are right about the funding being key. I am trying to discern if it is more important to seek the counseling focus to my degree or to obtain a doctorate versus not. I have spent 2 years trying to rationalize to myself what I would end up paying at the school where I got my Masters and if I went there for the PhD and the cost is just so much. The upside to these pricey programs is not having to move. But even they say for internship you might need to relocate. 

Of course I will still apply to the nearby counseling psych program since that seems the best fit all around anyway, has funding, and is near my parents.

Thinking over what you said- I could consider moving again in 5-7 years for internship if need be. Out of state is not out of the question. I don't know how my parents will be then, but if I can go to school close by for the short to mid-term they could see their grandkids and I could be there for my parents as well. 

I have given a lot of thought to how it would be to teach, do research, be a clinician but tbh I don't have enough experience to say for sure until I get more experience doing all of the above. I hope to gain more experience very soon on those fronts.