Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 9/27/2020 at 5:07 PM, EmpatheticMastermind said:

Who else has an "official" list of schools they're applying to? (Official is in quotes because I have a finalized list but also a consistent anxious desire to look through programs again just in case lol).

It feels both surreal and exciting to take this big step forward in the process, and feel a bit closer to submitting apps and hopefully getting interviews. 

Feeling like I started a bit late (Middle of September 2020), but I have basically finalized a list of 17 Clinical Psychology PhD programs that I plan to apply to. It is certainly daunting and exciting all at the same time. Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, VeriWolf said:

Feeling like I started a bit late (Middle of September 2020), but I have basically finalized a list of 17 Clinical Psychology PhD programs that I plan to apply to. It is certainly daunting and exciting all at the same time. Best of luck to you!

Don't let the lateness get to you too much, I'm still waiting to hear from some POI's! I'm afraid my finalized list will be too small, maybe as little as 8. It's hard finding that cut-off point of reach vs. safety schools to include. Sure, I'd like to apply to Yale this cycle, but do I really want to pay an exorbitant fee to be one of 700 ridiculously qualified people?...

Just now, EileanDonan said:

Don't let the lateness get to you too much, I'm still waiting to hear from some POI's! I'm afraid my finalized list will be too small, maybe as little as 8. It's hard finding that cut-off point of reach vs. safety schools to include. Sure, I'd like to apply to Yale this cycle, but do I really want to pay an exorbitant fee to be one of 700 ridiculously qualified people?...

I totally feel you! Many of my POIs have not responded, but luckily a majority of them have and the responses have been rather encouraging. Last year, I only applied to 8 programs, so I am casting my net a bit wider this year in the hopes of being accepted. The fees are definitely tough though.

20 hours ago, VeriWolf said:

I totally feel you! Many of my POIs have not responded, but luckily a majority of them have and the responses have been rather encouraging. Last year, I only applied to 8 programs, so I am casting my net a bit wider this year in the hopes of being accepted. The fees are definitely tough though.

I currently have a list of 10 programs that I applying to that I've received confirmation from PIs that they will be accepting. I see that you've applied to 8 before, and I wanted to see if you feel like 10 isn't enough? I've tried to not be too stingy with where I want to apply but also still keep it within my interests with COVID a lot of the schools I originally had on my list are unable to accept students this run. Did you regret only applying to 8 schools last cycle? Should I aim for more? If you don't feel comfortable answering this question I completely understand, thanks in advance!

11 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

I currently have a list of 10 programs that I applying to that I've received confirmation from PIs that they will be accepting. I see that you've applied to 8 before, and I wanted to see if you feel like 10 isn't enough? I've tried to not be too stingy with where I want to apply but also still keep it within my interests with COVID a lot of the schools I originally had on my list are unable to accept students this run. Did you regret only applying to 8 schools last cycle? Should I aim for more? If you don't feel comfortable answering this question I completely understand, thanks in advance!

Honestly, I don't regret applying to only 8 last year. I actually got 2 interviews and it was a wonderful experience. I am actually reapplying to 1 of the schools I got an interview at because the POI didn't actually end up taking any students last year due to budget restrictions. This year I am only applying to so many because they do actually have professors available that I want to work with. I also happen to be in a good situation, even with COVID that I can afford to apply to that many so I figured might as well go for it. My advice is go for that list of 10 schools and spend time working on making an excellent personal statement and whatever other application materials your schools might ask for. I wish you the absolute best!

11 hours ago, clincal_j said:

I'm confused about stipends/TAships. When schools say they give you a 20k stipend, is that including the TAship or not? Can you apply for TAships above your stipend?

90% of the time stipend comes from TA/RAship. So no I don't think you can apply for another TAship on top of that. You can apply for fellowship/grant tho

5 hours ago, RandomPotato said:

90% of the time stipend comes from TA/RAship. So no I don't think you can apply for another TAship on top of that. You can apply for fellowship/grant tho

I see. I think I was confused because I heard UCSB only gives 5k in stipend and tuition is only guaranteed for the first year...so that means it's not a fully funded program?

Just now, psychcoffeegal said:

Hey guys, this might be a dumb question, but why not? Is it safe to submit on the deadline of programs, Dec 1 or is it smart to submit beforehand. It's my first time and I'm kind of in a rut here. 

I would definitely not wait until December 1st on the dot, because tech fails do happen. But as far as an advantage to applying early, that doesn't usually have any impact on clinical psych admissions. They typically gather all apps and take them to admissions committees on the same day. 

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

I would definitely not wait until December 1st on the dot, because tech fails do happen. But as far as an advantage to applying early, that doesn't usually have any impact on clinical psych admissions. They typically gather all apps and take them to admissions committees on the same day. 

I second this. Servers can become overloaded and have difficulties. I know last year PSYCAS went down for a little bit around app deadline time. 

1 hour ago, PsychApplicant96 said:

What are people's thoughts on applying to a PhD and PsyD program at the same school? Is this a bad look? 

It depends on the school. Some, like Rutgers, expressly state that you have to choose 1 on their website. 

Can anyone tell me why Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine Clinical Psychology PhD Program application requests publications to be listed in MLA format? My experience has always been APA. Under "Additional Statements" within the application, it says the following: 

1370795702_ScreenShot2020-10-12at3_27_48PM.thumb.png.56bf9be7d3e25887142452bd84e3a6bb.png

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated, since I have yet to receive a response from the Admissions Assistant. Thanks in advance! 

Question for y'all: If a program doesn't specify that your personal statement needs to be double-spaced and they only give a page limit would it look bad to make it single-spaced to give myself more space to write?

@VeriWolf My professors from my Master's program have told me that if the program does not specify a statement to be double-spaced, then leave it single-spaced. That's what I've been doing so hopefully they have not steered me in the wrong direction! 

Someone please help solve my confusion. For applications that use PSYCAS, we don't have to mail schools our transcripts right because PSYCAS sends them? For schools who do not use PSYCAS, the ones that have their own application systems, how do we send the official transcripts? I notice that they ask to upload unofficial ones on the application but I'm guessing they also require the official ones sent.... Sorry this might be a no brainer question but this whole process is so overwhelming!!

Someone please help solve my confusion. For applications that use PSYCAS, we don't have to mail schools our transcripts right because PSYCAS sends them? For schools who do not use PSYCAS, the ones that have their own application systems, how do we send the official transcripts? I notice that they ask to upload unofficial ones on the application but I'm guessing they also require the official ones sent.... Sorry this might be a no brainer question but this whole process is so overwhelming!!

Usually they have an address on their website that you will need to send the transcripts too (most of the time it is the graduate office at the school, but sometimes not). You will have to reach out to your undergrad and request that they send the transcript to that address. Some schools have an electronic system in place (such as Parchment) that you can use which is much faster than having your undergrad mail a physical copy. I would look at your undergrad's website for requesting and sending transcripts and see which options they provide.

Just now, ColoradoGirl94 said:

Usually they have an address on their website that you will need to send the transcripts too (most of the time it is the graduate office at the school, but sometimes not). You will have to reach out to your undergrad and request that they send the transcript to that address. Some schools have an electronic system in place (such as Parchment) that you can use which is much faster than having your undergrad mail a physical copy. I would look at your undergrad's website for requesting and sending transcripts and see which options they provide.

Thank you! I went to a community college which my credits transferred to at my undergrad institution, It's a mess sending two transcripts to every school :(

@psychcoffeegal Definitely not a no brainer question considering the process is very overwhelming! From my experience thus far with the applications I have submitted, each program will indicate whether they want official transcripts to be submitted for the review process (while still uploading unofficial copies on the portal) or if they only require official transcripts after an applicant has been accepted into the program. 

For example, USC requires unofficial transcripts to be uploaded in the application portal, but also official transcripts emailed to its graduate admission's email address. University of Colorado-Denver is the same. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I went to a community college which my credits transferred to at my undergrad institution, It's a mess sending two transcripts to every school :(

I will say the majority of my programs seem to only require unofficial for the application. They stipulate that if offered admission, then you'd have to send in official transcripts before beginning the program. 

I feel you on sending multiple transcripts....I have *5* different transcripts to send because I was a flighty undergrad who attended 4 different schools before earning my degree ? I wish they would just accept the transcripts where a degree was earned!