Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I'm sure we all guessed that this year's applicant pool would be bigger than years past. Anecdotally, in case you're interested in speculating how much of an increase... University of Georgia's app deadline was 11/15 so they've begun reviewing, a clinical psych professor from the program tweeted that they've seen a 30-40% increase.

4 minutes ago, 23208838 said:

I'm sure we all guessed that this year's applicant pool would be bigger than years past. Anecdotally, in case you're interested in speculating how much of an increase... University of Georgia's app deadline was 11/15 so they've begun reviewing, a clinical psych professor from the program tweeted that they've seen a 30-40% increase.

Nooooooo I applied to him ? RIP my dreams.

3 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Nooooooo I applied to him ? RIP my dreams.

Aww! I also applied to UGA (different professor) so I understand how you're feeling. In the thread, he speculated that if the applicant pool is really good, faculty may accept more students than normal, making the following cohort smaller. Ya never know!

It's ~80 more applicants for them, but I expect interview invites will probably start next week, so we'll all know soon. Best of luck! ??

4 minutes ago, 23208838 said:

Aww! I also applied to UGA (different professor) so I understand how you're feeling. In the thread, he speculated that if the applicant pool is really good, faculty may accept more students than normal, making the following cohort smaller. Ya never know!

It's ~80 more applicants for them, but I expect interview invites will probably start next week, so we'll all know soon. Best of luck! ??

Ha, thanks. ? Can't say I was really surprised, but still!...

Generally, I expect POI's are going to have the pick of the litter this year, and I'd be willing to bet that next year is going to see an increase in applications as well. COVID pushes some to apply sooner, while it pushes others to wait an extra year. I think it will be a while until things equalize. I just hope I don't end up needing to pick a back-up career. ?

25 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Generally, I expect POI's are going to have the pick of the litter this year, and I'd be willing to bet that next year is going to see an increase in applications as well. COVID pushes some to apply sooner, while it pushes others to wait an extra year. I think it will be a while until things equalize. I just hope I don't end up needing to pick a back-up career. ?

There was a response in that twitter thread from another professor about how, while he's gotten way more emails from interested applicants, many of them are either pretty questionable fits or not that competitive. I'm hoping that our earlier speculation that total app numbers increasing won't significantly impact the number of competitive applicants.

Has anyone had any weird issues with submission portals? I uploaded all my documents and confirmed that they were uploaded. Under "application checklist" it states they they didn't recieve my personal statement, but there's a section right under it titled "uploaded materials" and it states that they have recieved my personal statement. Should I be concerned or do you think it's just a glitch in the checklist?

9 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Has anyone had any weird issues with submission portals? I uploaded all my documents and confirmed that they were uploaded. Under "application checklist" it states they they didn't recieve my personal statement, but there's a section right under it titled "uploaded materials" and it states that they have recieved my personal statement. Should I be concerned or do you think it's just a glitch in the checklist?

I would call. I’ve had a few glitches like that, and generally the admissions office has been very quick and kind in fixing them. Plus, I’d much rather spend a few minutes on the phone than stress about it for the next week!

Just now, Kylar said:

I would call. I’ve had a few glitches like that, and generally the admissions office has been very quick and kind in fixing them. Plus, I’d much rather spend a few minutes on the phone than stress about it for the next week!

Thanks! I've sent them an email and I'll sure to call them. I'm just worried I won't get a response with the holiday approaching. Have you found that in most cases they have recieved your materials and it's just the website states otherwise?

2 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Thanks! I've sent them an email and I'll sure to call them. I'm just worried I won't get a response with the holiday approaching. Have you found that in most cases they have recieved your materials and it's just the website states otherwise?

Yeah 100% of the time lol. But not always linked with my application 

Just now, Kylar said:

Yeah 100% of the time lol. But not always linked with my application 

Awesome! I actually just refreshed and the application checklist updated...I guess it really was just a glitch. This application process has not been helpful on my nerves lol Thank you so much for your quick response and helpful comments :)

9 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

I’m afraid on top of the extra applicants POIs will be less apt to take on students. I spoke with someone in the beginning of the September and she was so interested in taking a student but I recently found out that she isn’t so sure anymore and It’s going to take someone to really knock her socks off for her to take someone during covid now I WANT TO CRY

53 minutes ago, Schy said:

I’m afraid on top of the extra applicants POIs will be less apt to take on students. I spoke with someone in the beginning of the September and she was so interested in taking a student but I recently found out that she isn’t so sure anymore and It’s going to take someone to really knock her socks off for her to take someone during covid now I WANT TO CRY

I’m not sure if this will ease your anxiety or fuel it so I apologize in advance, but I’m more inclined to think if a POI is no longer sure about taking a student it has a lot more to do with lack of funds/budget cuts if anything. I had correspondence with a few POIs who were initially interesting in taking students but very recently (ie few weeks ago) updated me that they were no longer accepting due to budget cuts in the department/ still haven’t heard back from grant agencies due to COVID. I guess what I’m trying to say is the only thing you can do is submit your best application and hope things work out. These programs will always be competitive one way or another we just have to try to stay as optimistic as possible! 

27 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

I’m not sure if this will ease your anxiety or fuel it so I apologize in advance, but I’m more inclined to think if a POI is no longer sure about taking a student it has a lot more to do with lack of funds/budget cuts if anything. I had correspondence with a few POIs who were initially interesting in taking students but very recently (ie few weeks ago) updated me that they were no longer accepting due to budget cuts in the department/ still haven’t heard back from grant agencies due to COVID. I guess what I’m trying to say is the only thing you can do is submit your best application and hope things work out. These programs will always be competitive one way or another we just have to try to stay as optimistic as possible! 

That actually does make me feel a lot better. While it sucks that some things are just out of our hands....it’s also a relief and it’s not a slight on our application or capabilities. Thank you for the rationale! 

It

2 hours ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

As someone with professors for friends, a significant factor is the worry of balancing remote work, the potential stress of adding an additional student, along with potential funding challenges. 

we are going through hard times as applicants but maybe it makes us stronger ???

5 hours ago, Psych1313 said:

If a program asks you to write a statement of intent in 500 words or less, how much over/under do you think is acceptable?

Use as much of it as possible, but I would not by any means go over 500, this is a practical skill as grant applications and paper abstracts are also usually word limited.

5 hours ago, Psych1313 said:

If a program asks you to write a statement of intent in 500 words or less, how much over/under do you think is acceptable?

I've had a few schools with 500 word limits so I truly empathize with you - it is not a lot of space. But, to echo what has already been said, I would not go over the word count. Some of my application portals actually required me to copy and paste my essay in so they could ensure it was within the word count. Even for the ones that allowed be to upload what I wanted, this is one way of POIs assessing whether you can discuss your work in a concise and clear manner. While they may not notice a word or two over it will be clear if you have a sentence+ over the limit.

53 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

I've had a few schools with 500 word limits so I truly empathize with you - it is not a lot of space. But, to echo what has already been said, I would not go over the word count. Some of my application portals actually required me to copy and paste my essay in so they could ensure it was within the word count. Even for the ones that allowed be to upload what I wanted, this is one way of POIs assessing whether you can discuss your work in a concise and clear manner. While they may not notice a word or two over it will be clear if you have a sentence+ over the limit.

Thanks for the input and being able to relate. I didn't say it in my post but, wow I'm having a hard time. My SOP for most schools allow for 2 pages or a 1500 word count. 500 seems unreasonable, especially since I feel I have a lot of research and clinical experience to highlight, let alone my career goals and fit with POI. 

My original thought was that it was a kind of test to see if the applicant is able to be concise and follow guidelines. Although, I thought maybe being 50 words over or under would be acceptable ?

24 minutes ago, Psych1313 said:

Thanks for the input and being able to relate. I didn't say it in my post but, wow I'm having a hard time. My SOP for most schools allow for 2 pages or a 1500 word count. 500 seems unreasonable, especially since I feel I have a lot of research and clinical experience to highlight, let alone my career goals and fit with POI. 

My original thought was that it was a kind of test to see if the applicant is able to be concise and follow guidelines. Although, I thought maybe being 50 words over or under would be acceptable ?

Under can always be acceptable if you reasonably address everything necessary. I usually struggle to get to minimum page/word limits lol

11 hours ago, Psych1313 said:

Most of my schools have also allowed for 2-3 page length statement of purpose, so I completely agree with you on 500 being unreasonable. I struggled and I honestly am still not fully pleased with how much I had to cut out, but my PIs were adamant that I had to meet the word limit. While I do think a part of it is a test, I do also think since the SOP is so short they may be giving more emphasis on the letter of recs or writing samples (my schools with short SOP have asked for a writing sample). 

Hang in there I'm sure what you have is great!

19 hours ago, Psych1313 said:

Maybe you've already done this, but I would poke around the admissions site to see if they have program-specific guidelines for this. For one of my applications, the program website actually said something like "ignore the SOP directions on the application". In another one of my applications, if you went to the FAQ specifically, they said they were not strict about the word count. I wish they could consolidate these directions somehow because it makes me nervous about which direction to follow!