Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

29 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Someone said that Penn State has had a 50-100% increase of applications this year. I'm very curious to hear about other programs numbers as well. I think some individuals are panic-applying to schools for possible financial security, and may not necessarily be the most competitive. What are everyone's thoughts?

where did you hear this? im panicking now:(

31 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Someone said that Penn State has had a 50-100% increase of applications this year. I'm very curious to hear about other programs numbers as well. I think some individuals are panic-applying to schools for possible financial security, and may not necessarily be the most competitive. What are everyone's thoughts?

I think it's a combo of GRE requirements being waived, other job opportunities/funding situations being cancelled due to COVID, and the awful job market. I'm sure not everyone in the new wave of applicants is super competitive, but I still think there will be more competitive candidates in general this year, which worries me.

4 minutes ago, clincal_j said:

Reddit; someone's research professor from Penn State informed them. Said around 700 and are expecting 800 by tomorrow for their clinical program.

Edited by PsychApplicant2

Just now, spring2000 said:

I think it's a combo of GRE requirements being waived, other job opportunities/funding situations being cancelled due to COVID, and the awful job market. I'm sure not everyone in the new wave of applicants is super competitive, but I still think there will be more competitive candidates in general this year, which worries me.

Totally agree. Also, a lot of people are applying because if the reduced fees as well... and virtual interviews mean no traveling, so no spending $$ on traveling. I doubt that all 700-800 applicants will be super competitive. 

4 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I think we can assume that most programs will see a significant increase in applications.

I've said it before somewhere, but I can imagine we won't see as big an increase in competitiveness. It takes years to prepare for graduate applications. I agree that most panic-appliers are doing it as a last-ditch effort to make a life change. 

Yup, I totally agree with this too. I think anyone who's super prepared and has a good fit stands a good chance of being admitted. I just think it's interesting to see the increase in numbers!

1 minute ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Reddit; someone's research professor from Penn State informed them. Said around 700 and are expecting 800 by tomorrow for their clinical program.

What subreddit? I'd be curious to see the thread!

11 minutes ago, clincal_j said:

Try not to panic. It's hard to know right now how this will impact applicants that were well-prepared. Just because there is a bigger applicant pool, doesn't mean you'll be against a larger pool of competitive applicants. 

9 minutes ago, KeepItCaffeinated said:

To people applying to UNC Chapel Hill, are you including the prompts in your personal statement?

I did, mainly to help organize myself, and to show that each prompt response was under 250 words.

5 hours ago, clincal_j said:

I'd like to further add that I follow a few PIs on twitter (non that I'm applying to just people I think are cool) and they've stated that although there has been an increase in applications there also has been an increase in people who are applying and are not good fits with their research. I do think applying to grad school has become much more manageable for certain people this year due to programs being more accommodating (which is great I would rather know these programs are willing to be understanding than pretend like things are normal), but this also has lead to a huge increase in the applicant pool. I completely empathize with you as I am very stressed about applying this cycle but all we can do is our best and hope that our best is good enough! Send positive vibes your way :)

Hi everyone! Try not to panic too much regarding the influx of applications this year. More applications doesn't necessary mean more competitive applications. A lot goes into preparing doctoral applications (securing great letters of rec, taking time to prepare your personal statements and cater them to each program, and finding professors with the greatest fit for you)! I know that I spent a huge amount of time researching so many programs and have attended many sessions advising on how to best apply to doctoral programs. I assume that many of you have done the same. People that have chosen to apply this year only because of the waived GREs for example may not have been as serious in the past, so they may not have prepared as much as we have or known what to do or what not to do when writing personal statements. We've got this! Just breathe and submit the best applications that you can :) 

2 hours ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

I'd like to further add that I follow a few PIs on twitter (non that I'm applying to just people I think are cool) and they've stated that although there has been an increase in applications there also has been an increase in people who are applying and are not good fits with their research. I do think applying to grad school has become much more manageable for certain people this year due to programs being more accommodating (which is great I would rather know these programs are willing to be understanding than pretend like things are normal), but this also has lead to a huge increase in the applicant pool. I completely empathize with you as I am very stressed about applying this cycle but all we can do is our best and hope that our best is good enough! Send positive vibes your way :)

thank you! this was really reassuring ❤️ we'll all do great!

1 hour ago, katgoheen said:

It's December 1st finally! Just wishing everyone the best of luck! Applications have been a stressful time. I hope you all take time to celebrate being finished this stage of the process. 

I agree! celebrate being finished with this stage of the process, but also celebrate the fact that you're in a position where you are applying to phd programs! All of us have put so much work into building up our applications and we shouldn't take that lightly. ❤️ We have done so many great things while preparing for this moment. 

Good luck to everyone! Whatever happens, try to remember your worth isn't wrapped up in the outcome of this process. If you don't manage to land a spot this cycle, it says nothing about your competency or fitness for graduate work. Charge on and keep trying! We've got this! ?

To contribute to the support train, we've got this guys! We've cried many tears, grown many grey hairs from the stress, and have written and rewritten so many versions of our personal statements and statements of purpose. To those who have had to submit more than one essay in your application(s), kudos to you! We've grown so much from this experience and have prepared the best we could! Now we can sit back and wait it out! Stressful, yes, but in a different way ?. Fingers crossed for interview invites ? If any of you are interested, I would love to form a group where we can practice out some mock interviews!

Edited by pomegranateleaves
fixed an emoji