Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Yeah, I'm starting to worry about that. I consider myself a fairly competitive applicant, but admissions is also a complete crapshoot. Ugh. 

I'm in a similar position. I've applied multiple times and I really thought I'd be a super competitive applicant this time, but now I'm a bit concerned. Trying to stay upbeat and positive but it does get hard!

2 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

DAMN. 

62856388-EBAB-4CE4-A202-7264BE557BC8.jpeg

I urge myself to think this way: even if I could halve the number of applicants from 980 to 490, my chance of getting accepted would only increase from 1% to 2%. Seriously, what's the difference bwteen 0.01 and 0.02? I bet they're insignificantly different lol...so relax....

It works, at least for me. ┑( ̄Д  ̄)┍

Edited by Yuchen

13 hours ago, plantgirl96 said:

When do yall expect to start hearing from interested professors?

I would recommend going to the section of the grad café, where applicants share when each program reached out to them with news regarding your interviews, successes, and rejections. 

17 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Is anyone here applying with a BA from a small college (SLAC, not R1/R2, etc)? I did, and I'm worried this sort of thing will be used (unfairly) as an easy excuse to weed out applicants, especially this year.

I went to a small liberal arts college and am currently a 2nd year at one of the schools you applied to :)

I’ve heard from a PI at University of Kentucky, who I’ve worked with through my work in the APA briefly. She knew I got a new job and asked if she should still consider my application closely. So not any significant news but I think it’s means they started! 

On 12/2/2020 at 12:12 AM, pomegranateleaves said:

To contribute to the support train, we've got this guys! We've cried many tears, grown many grey hairs from the stress, and have written and rewritten so many versions of our personal statements and statements of purpose. To those who have had to submit more than one essay in your application(s), kudos to you! We've grown so much from this experience and have prepared the best we could! Now we can sit back and wait it out! Stressful, yes, but in a different way ?. Fingers crossed for interview invites ? If any of you are interested, I would love to form a group where we can practice out some mock interviews!

Uhm, Yesssssss. I need this!

1 hour ago, BabesDoItBetter said:

I’ve heard from a PI at University of Kentucky, who I’ve worked with through my work in the APA briefly. She knew I got a new job and asked if she should still consider my application closely. So not any significant news but I think it’s means they started! 

PI initials? ?

I want to post a reminder to TAKE A BREAK from this site if needed. I absolutely love the GradCafe community and the camaraderie the forum brings, but it definitely exacerbates anxiety and stress. Last year I made sure to take a few hiatuses and it did wonders for my mental health. Take care of yourselves, everyone. ❤️ 

30 minutes ago, babybokchoy said:

OK...gimme some good news already. 

Yeah, in my head I keep saying I could hear anytime in December or January. But because I applied once before with no interviews, my heart just wants one piece of positive feedback to confirm this time is different lol

It'll come guys ? the pandemic has caused the majority of schools to completely conduct their interview weekends online. This is unprecedented and very different from what they have done in the past, so they have had to completely redo their entire system. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll be hearing from them later than usual in general. They cant do anything in person. Can you imagine the department individually going through applications online, needing to schedule Zoom calls that work with all of them, and continuing to deliberate on those online on their own computers??? That sounds so nuts to me man. I mean, they might have done this individually in the past too, but I always pictured a group of people sitting in a room with the applications displayed on a screen where they can all talk to each other in the same space and point to different parts very easily. Plus, the influx of applications is going to cause them to take longer too

Edited by pomegranateleaves

First time commenting here but I've gotta say I'm super super nervous (I guess who isn't though). My first deadline was November 1st and I still haven't heard anything yet (a current student told me thats normal but I can't help but take it personally haha) and the rest of my deadlines were Dec 1st. I applied to 6 schools because I wanted to be more intentional this time around but now I'm worried I undershot it. This is my second time applying but fingers crossed it goes well. Last time I was coming straight out of undergrad and had little to no clinical experience which is what I was told weakened my application now I'm finishing my MA so I'm hoping that'll help. 

I feel like I'm just rambling now haha but its nice to get this stuff out with people who are in similar positions. Good luck to everyone! We got this! 

I just searched my name in Google Scholar and I found out that I was listed in the acknowledgements of a dissertation! I left the lab to pursue my Masters degree in 2019 and the doc student I worked with graduated last year ?? I had no idea he did that! Is there any way I can add that to my CV? I know it won't matter for this application cycle but it's still super cool!