Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Now that I've submitted my applications I keep second guessing myself...did I actually follow directions? Did I spell the PI's name right? Did I upload my transcripts? Did I miss a requirement somewhere? And I know double checking won't help cause I already like triple checked before submitting ?

Good luck to everyone finalizing apps this weekend! 

42 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Now that I've submitted my applications I keep second guessing myself...did I actually follow directions? Did I spell the PI's name right? Did I upload my transcripts? Did I miss a requirement somewhere? And I know double checking won't help cause I already like triple checked before submitting ?

Good luck to everyone finalizing apps this weekend! 

Congrats!!! I definitely feel the checking for the millionth time, even though you know it's not going to change anything.

Can't believe we might start hearing about interview in a few weeks :)

18 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Don't worry, you guys aren't alone there! I do wonder about the likelihood of interviews going out later given the increased number of apps?

It's possible. Also, I know for instance my university is requiring a mandatory furlough of all faculty the 1st week of December, so they can't do any work that week. I'm not sure if other universities may have something similar. 

15 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Oof, I hadn't though of that. I'm not aware of my local university doing so, let's hope its not a trend.

I'm not sure how common it is. However, it's a state university and they are doing it because of the huge budget deficit caused by the pandemic, so I'm sure it isn't the only university that had to do some temporary furloughs to save money. 

3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Don't worry, you guys aren't alone there! I do wonder about the likelihood of interviews going out later given the increased number of apps?

Interestingly enough a few of my programs have actually moved their interview dates earlier than normal (some are planned for the first week of January) since they're all virtual. However these interview dates were posted before applications were due, so I wonder if things will change once they realize how many applications they have to go through....

1 hour ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Interestingly enough a few of my programs have actually moved their interview dates earlier than normal (some are planned for the first week of January) since they're all virtual. However these interview dates were posted before applications were due, so I wonder if things will change once they realize how many applications they have to go through....

Wow that is early. That doesn't necessarily give people much time to sufficiently prepare between holidays, work, and finals.

Hey everyone! I’m new here and really like that we’re all in the same boat going through this process. I’m curious if anyone applied to specific types of clinical programs or was it more general? I only applied to child-centered clinical programs with the possibility to study neuropsych/neuroscience. What about everyone else?

2 hours ago, PineapplePIe said:

Hey everyone! I’m new here and really like that we’re all in the same boat going through this process. I’m curious if anyone applied to specific types of clinical programs or was it more general? I only applied to child-centered clinical programs with the possibility to study neuropsych/neuroscience. What about everyone else?

Hi! I would say about half of the programs I applied to have a child/developmental focus. I focused more on the faculty member than the program, but I would say almost all of my top choices have a child track. How many programs did you end up finding that fit your criteria?

6 hours ago, PineapplePIe said:

I was also advisor focused, but a few of my schools offer a forensic track, which I'll be opting into.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, spring2000 said:

My schools are in my signature! I'm applying to 13 places and hoping for the best. I know a lot of people who aren't super excited about applying this year so maybe that's why lol

I love your signature, I might adopt something like this. It would be wonderful to begin building community with potential peers early!

20 hours ago, spring2000 said:

Hi! I would say about half of the programs I applied to have a child/developmental focus. I focused more on the faculty member than the program, but I would say almost all of my top choices have a child track. How many programs did you end up finding that fit your criteria?

I did the same focusing on faculty members and ended up eliminating quite a few because some weren't accepting students for next fall. I had a screening criteria for my programs and only ended up applying to six. That low number has me nervous but they were the only ones I felt are good fits.

Cool signature btw! I'm applying to some of the same schools. Mine are University of Kansas, University of Kentucky, University of Denver, University of Memphis, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Florida International.

35 minutes ago, babybokchoy said:

Hi all, just added my signature (copied @spring2000...thanks for the template!). 

Is anyone applying to non-clinical or counseling programs because you really liked the PI's work? This is true for a couple of the schools on my list. 

I am primarily applying to counseling psychology programs, and it is exclusively because I love the faculty’s work. In addition, I really enjoy the approach that counseling psychology utilizes when it comes to client care. I’ve had the fortune of engaging with APA Div 17, which has led me to building relationships with folks in the field (which has been invaluable during the application process).

Hello! I have a weird question...

So some applications ask for a writing sample. Is it okay/appropriate for me to submit a paper that is currently under review at a journal as a writing sample? Or is that ethically wrong and might look bad on my part? I'm just concerned because I'm the first author on the paper so while it shows me in a good light, I wonder if I'm allowed to submit it though? 

Any advice soon would be really appreciated. Thank you!

On 11/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, justacigar said:

re: writing samples, I've seen that a manuscript that is still under review might not be the best choice, and that anything other than first author papers aren't acceptable. The way it's been worded for some programs is "a peer reviewed manuscript". All the manuscripts I have are under review so I'm planning to submit my comprehensive case review final paper from my master's degree and hoping that is sufficient! 

Hi! What if I'm also the first author (with other authors as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively) on the manuscript currently under review? Can I still submit that as a writing sample or would that be ethically wrong? 

1 hour ago, CoffeeErryday said:

Hi! What if I'm also the first author (with other authors as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively) on the manuscript currently under review? Can I still submit that as a writing sample or would that be ethically wrong? 

I have the same question!

4 hours ago, CoffeeErryday said:

I actually emailed a program about this and they said non-first authored papers are fine when I asked if it would be ok to submit part of a paper i am 2nd author on. They just said to be sure to state it somewhere in the document. 

11 hours ago, CoffeeErryday said:

I decided against submitting anything under review because a few schools specifically said "peer-reviewed", but not all did. I think it was just a personal preference to submit something else. It's still technically a sample of your writing, because first author means that you take intellectual credit for most of the paper (in most instances).

Someone said that Penn State has had a 50-100% increase of applications this year. I'm very curious to hear about other programs numbers as well. I think some individuals are panic-applying to schools for possible financial security, and may not necessarily be the most competitive. What are everyone's thoughts?

25 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Someone said that Penn State has had a 50-100% increase of applications this year. I'm very curious to hear about other programs numbers as well. I think some individuals are panic-applying to schools for possible financial security, and may not necessarily be the most competitive. What are everyone's thoughts?

I think we can assume that most programs will see a significant increase in applications.

I've said it before somewhere, but I can imagine we won't see as big an increase in competitiveness. It takes years to prepare for graduate applications. I agree that most panic-appliers are doing it as a last-ditch effort to make a life change.