Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

19 hours ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Anyone applying to a program that asks for a writing sample? Would it be okay to submit a draft of a manuscript even though it's missing some figures?

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing! I took the most recent (nearly final) draft of my manuscript and just removed the abstract, figures, and references.

Edited by teenygreeny

2 minutes ago, teenygreeny said:

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing! I took the most recent (nearly final) draft of my manuscript and just removed the abstract, figures, and references.

This is super helpful thank you! Do you mind if I ask a follow up? Since you removed the figures did you also remove the in text citations referring to the figures? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

Just now, justanotherbutterfly said:

This is super helpful thank you! Do you mind if I ask a follow up? Since you removed the figures did you also remove the in text citations referring to the figures? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

Not a dumb question! No I didn't. I honestly don't think anyone on the admissions committee is going to care that much. They are reviewing your writing ability, not the actual content of the paper. That's the job of editorial boards! :)

20 hours ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Anyone applying to a program that asks for a writing sample? Would it be okay to submit a draft of a manuscript even though it's missing some figures?

I feel there may be a caveat to this. If the POIs are experts within the field your manuscript is in, they may be asked to peer-review the journal submission. This would then affect the rater-blind submission process. I'm not sure if this is an express concern, but something to consider. 

Just now, PsyDuck90 said:

I feel there may be a caveat to this. If the POIs are experts within the field your manuscript is in, they may be asked to peer-review the journal submission. This would then affect the rater-blind submission process. I'm not sure if this is an express concern, but something to consider. 

This is a great point! Thankfully non of my POIs are experts within this field, and the population we studied was non-clinical. In my opinion there is slim chance of any of my POIs being reviewers. This particular sample is just the closest to completion and displays my writing well, which is why I was opting to submit it as a sample.

17 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

This is a great point! Thankfully non of my POIs are experts within this field, and the population we studied was non-clinical. In my opinion there is slim chance of any of my POIs being reviewers. This particular sample is just the closest to completion and displays my writing well, which is why I was opting to submit it as a sample.

That's perfect then! That and if the manuscript was heavily edited by someone else would be the times I wouldn't necessarily send that as a writing sample. 

2 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

That's perfect then! That and if the manuscript was heavily edited by someone else would be the times I wouldn't necessarily send that as a writing sample. 

Awesome thanks for your insight! I have co-authored another manuscript, but since our writing responsibilities were divided equally among us, I felt it would be best to submit a draft of something that I have primarily written/edited.

re: writing samples, I've seen that a manuscript that is still under review might not be the best choice, and that anything other than first author papers aren't acceptable. The way it's been worded for some programs is "a peer reviewed manuscript". All the manuscripts I have are under review so I'm planning to submit my comprehensive case review final paper from my master's degree and hoping that is sufficient! 

Good morning guys! Does anyone know of a resource that lists programs by deadline? I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 more programs to my list, but obviously with the time needed to submit GRE scores and recommendations the deadline would need to be December 15th or later. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 hour ago, babybokchoy said:

Good morning guys! Does anyone know of a resource that lists programs by deadline? I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 more programs to my list, but obviously with the time needed to submit GRE scores and recommendations the deadline would need to be December 15th or later. 

I know for a fact there was a spreadsheet that has what you're looking for that was posted quite a bit last cycle. I'm not sure how much will have changed/stayed the same due to covid though...I'm thinking your best bet would be to find programs that you like with people that you fit with and check their deadlines. 

1 hour ago, babybokchoy said:

I don't know of the resource off the top of my head, but Kent State University has a December 15th deadline!

7 hours ago, psytillidie said:

Where all is everyone applying? In previous years threads, people posted the schools they're applying to but it doesn't seem like people have done that this year in this thread!

I think sometimes people will have that information in their signature! I also wonder if program lists were a lot more fluid this year because of programs deciding not to take a cohort, programs waiving the GRE, etc.

But I'll share! I'm applying to 12 programs, all clinical psych PhD. UC Irvine, University of Denver, UNC Chapel Hill, Notre Dame, University of Nevada Reno, Washington State University, University of Utah, Northern Illinois University, Kent State University, West Virginia University, and University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (clinical-community). There are a few reach schools on my list but I'm just going for it this cycle. 

Do you think it's necessarily bad to have applied to a new faculty member who's freshly graduated? As far as I can tell it looks like this cycle will be their first for taking a student. On the plus side, their old advisor is well-respected in my niche and someone I would have applied to myself had they been accepting this cycle.

21 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Do you think it's necessarily bad to have applied to a new faculty member who's freshly graduated? As far as I can tell it looks like this cycle will be their first for taking a student. On the plus side, their old advisor is well-respected in my niche and someone I would have applied to myself had they been accepting this cycle.

I think this is actually a great opportunity. my research mentor tells me all the time that when she started out her mentor was young and new and it gave her so many opportunities that she's not sure she would have had if she was with someone 'established' 

Edited by Schy
spelling

55 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

There are pluses and minuses (but that's the case with everyone). Someone new is fresh and eager and shooting for tenure so they are going to be motivated to publish. Minuses might be that they may not have a lot of stuff set in motion so there's time for lab setup and getting projects off the ground. They may also be relatively inexperienced in terms of mentoring. Also, there is a concern about tenure and if they don't get tenure, they leave. 

19 hours ago, psytillidie said:

Where all is everyone applying? In previous years threads, people posted the schools they're applying to but it doesn't seem like people have done that this year in this thread!

My schools are in my signature! I'm applying to 13 places and hoping for the best. I know a lot of people who aren't super excited about applying this year so maybe that's why lol