Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

2 hours ago, plantgirl96 said:

When do yall expect to start hearing from interested professors?

My app for UC Santa Barbara was due on 11/15, and their website says that their first round of interviews are going out in December and second round in January. If any of you had 11/15 deadlines, I'd guess maybe December too? I'd guess we'll hear back from other schools either reaching out or offering interview offers in January or maybe even early February

51 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

A thread has been started on Student Doctor Network in case any applicants would like to follow along or post their interview/acceptance information! 

I will say, I tried to get something going on SDN last year and it's just not super active for applicants. We should definitely get one going on here, though!

Just now, justacigar said:

I will say, I tried to get something going on SDN last year and it's just not super active for applicants. We should definitely get one going on here, though!

Hm, I know we have an interview portal on GradCafe but maybe we can start a forum on here? Maybe it'll make it easier for those who have questions!

1 minute ago, justacigar said:

Aw man, it was me who posted that on SDN, which I creep on regularly. I suppose SDN is for more seasoned folks, lol. 

I decided to make an acct here (rather than keep creeping) to see if it is more active for application cycles. 

Just now, PsychApplicant2 said:

Hm, I know we have an interview portal on GradCafe but maybe we can start a forum on here? Maybe it'll make it easier for those who have questions!

I think a forum would be easier. It looks like the results page really gets cluttered with "who is your POI" rather than acceptances/rejections/interviews. 

1 hour ago, EileanDonan said:

Hard to say this time around, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they start trickling in a few weeks (especially for the 11/15 deadlines). I don't expect much before the semester is over, but who knows?

I know that Indiana State is starting soon and their due date was 12/1 (got an e-mail from the program director). This next week they'll begin reviewing for "phase one," notifying who will/will not move on to "phase two" review, then mid-Jan they hope to have invites sent out. But, I doubt everyone will follow this, as stated that there is an increase in apps this year.

Just now, txpsychology said:

Aw man, it was me who posted that on SDN, which I creep on regularly. I suppose SDN is for more seasoned folks, lol. 

I decided to make an acct here (rather than keep creeping) to see if it is more active for application cycles. 

I think a forum would be easier. It looks like the results page really gets cluttered with "who is your POI" rather than acceptances/rejections/interviews. 

No worries! I made the same mistake last year ?I was the one who started the thread on here last year, so I went ahead and started one for this year too:

3 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

I went ahead and started one! It's a good way to track when invites start going out. 

I know that Indiana State is starting soon and their due date was 12/1 (got an e-mail from the program director). This next week they'll begin reviewing for "phase one," notifying who will/will not move on to "phase two" review, then mid-Jan they hope to have invites sent out. But, I doubt everyone will follow this, as stated that there is an increase in apps this year.

I think Palo Alto started sending out interview invites already!

Just now, justanotherbutterfly said:

Wow hearing how some schools have already sent out invites is not easing my anxiety. Most of my applications were due two days ago but still makes me nervous. Good luck to everyone!

There are some programs that have 11/15 deadlines so that's probably why! No worries. You got this!

Just now, spring2000 said:

one of the POIs I contacted literally emailed me back 3 months later and 2 days after the deadline to tell me he's retiring so things are already off to a great start lol

I applied to very little schools (7), because of things like this. There was a professor at (Utah state, I THINK?) who I was really interested in... retiring. One at another school, I aligned with perfect.... not accepting students. My list went from 12 to 7 quickly due to things like this.

Don't be discouraged yet! It's not your fault the person was suuuuuper slow in responding. 

Just now, spring2000 said:

one of the POIs I contacted literally emailed me back 3 months later and 2 days after the deadline to tell me he's retiring so things are already off to a great start lol

I'm so sorry. Don't let that be your impression of the application cycle though. I know you guys will get invites.

I applied to very little schools (7), because of things like this. There was a professor at (Utah state, I THINK?) who I was really interested in... retiring. One at another school, I aligned with perfect.... not accepting students. My list went from 12 to 7 quickly due to things like this.

Don't be discouraged yet! It's not your fault the person was suuuuuper slow in responding. 

Ah, I'm nervous for this. My list (for next year) has 20 schools on it right now for PI's that I have a similar interest in, but I'm afraid it'll be cut in half due to funding and stuff like that. Ahhhhh!

Edited by PsychApplicant2

2 minutes ago, spring2000 said:

Yikes, he's only now figuring this out? Is he trying to say "nevermind" or just that this is his last year taking a student?

Ah, I'm nervous for this. My list (for next year) has 20 schools on it right now for PI's that I have a similar interest in, but I'm afraid it'll be cut in half due to funding and stuff like that. Ahhhhh!

I've been starting to think of next year a bit too. I think there's a possibility it might have to be my final year trying...I'm planning on going all out and applying to as many as possible. I'm a bit nervous about how COVID will impact next year too. ?

I could've kept going, but it was becoming a stretch. Also my "stats" are "ehhhhhhh" compared to "super competitive" applicants. So, I took it easy this year and literally only applied to 6 I WANT to go to and 1 I can tolerate lol. Basically, I'm testing the waters this time. If I get interviews or acceptances, I will thank the powers that be. But, I don't expect it. Not that I'm harsh on myself, but I know comparatively, I might suck on paper. 

Maybe by the time you are applying, they will have gotten their crap under control and won't be so jarred by the state of the world.

PS. others, thanks for the cool signature idea!! 

Just now, EileanDonan said:

Yikes, he's only now figuring this out? Is he trying to say "nevermind" or just that this is his last year taking a student?

I think he knew, he just took forever to respond. He's basically just not taking students anymore. And I'm hoping the funding situation will rebound a bit by next fall so hopefully you'll have a ton of people to apply to!

7 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

I've been starting to think of next year a bit too. I think there's a possibility it might have to be my final year trying...I'm planning on going all out and applying to as many as possible. I'm a bit nervous about how COVID will impact next year too. ?

Yeah, I'm starting to worry about that. I consider myself a fairly competitive applicant, but admissions is also a complete crapshoot. Ugh. 

8 minutes ago, txpsychology said:

I could've kept going, but it was becoming a stretch. Also my "stats" are "ehhhhhhh" compared to "super competitive" applicants. So, I took it easy this year and literally only applied to 6 I WANT to go to and 1 I can tolerate lol. Basically, I'm testing the waters this time. If I get interviews or acceptances, I will thank the powers that be. But, I don't expect it. Not that I'm harsh on myself, but I know comparatively, I might suck on paper. 

Maybe by the time you are applying, they will have gotten their crap under control and won't be so jarred by the state of the world.

PS. others, thanks for the cool signature idea!! 

Is it your first year applying?

8 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Is it your first year applying?

Yepppp. I've spent the last 3 years making up for my crap BA experience (low GPA, very little research... I had a kid, was lazy, etc.) Got a master's (2 years), then took and passed the EPPP (for licensure in my state - 1 year). So, I'm gonna give it a go. If nothing happens, I will do more research, and try at least 1 more time. 

I picked the worst year to try on, though. Given the app increase :( 

Yepppp. I've spent the last 3 years making up for my crap BA experience (low GPA, very little research... I had a kid, was lazy, etc.) Got a master's (2 years), then took and passed the EPPP (for licensure in my state - 1 year). So, I'm gonna give it a go. If nothing happens, I will do more research, and try at least 1 more time. 

I picked the worst year to try on, though. Given the app increase :( 

GOOD LUCK!!! ❤️