Counselling Psychology Applicants 2021 CANADA

psychstudent3

Thought I'd post about it because I haven't seen anyone do it yet- University of Alberta has made their offers. There were over 200 applications this year, and they made six course-based and four thesis-based offers. I was informed that those who have been accepted have until March 15th to accept, so if any of you are waitlisted you can expect to hear before then! 

I was accepted at the U of A today after being on the wait list for about a week; if you have questions about the process or my stats or anything let me know! 

1 hour ago, chicha3maddy said:

Thought I'd post about it because I haven't seen anyone do it yet- University of Alberta has made their offers. There were over 200 applications this year, and they made six course-based and four thesis-based offers. I was informed that those who have been accepted have until March 15th to accept, so if any of you are waitlisted you can expect to hear before then! 

I was accepted at the U of A today after being on the wait list for about a week; if you have questions about the process or my stats or anything let me know! 

Thanks for this info and congratulations on your acceptance! I am anxiously hoping to get off the waitlist at U of A so this is good to know! 

2 minutes ago, lpitt said:

Thanks for this info and congratulations on your acceptance! I am anxiously hoping to get off the waitlist at U of A so this is good to know! 

Congrats to you too, with so many applicants being waitlisted is a huge accomplishment! Did you apply to the course-based or to the thesis-based stream? 

1 minute ago, chicha3maddy said:

Congrats to you too, with so many applicants being waitlisted is a huge accomplishment! Did you apply to the course-based or to the thesis-based stream? 

Thank you :) I applied to the thesis-based stream! Yourself? 

2 hours ago, Happiness is key said:

Just putting this out there - if anyone hears from OISE MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy if you could post on here it would be greatly appreciated! ? I know that myself and others are definitely anxiously waiting to hear!

Someone shared this from OISE website on the clinical forum so thought I would share it here. Not that my anxious self can handle more waiting but I guess it is to be expected ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.13.25 PM.png

Edited by lpitt

3 minutes ago, lpitt said:

Thank you :) I applied to the thesis-based stream! Yourself? 

I applied to the course-based stream! So that's actually good, I believe that the two streams have their own waitlists which means you could still be at the top of yours. Good luck, I really hope you get an offer! 

Has anyone who applied to McGill gotten that "recommendation for admission" email that they supposedly send a few days before the official acceptance letter comes? According to the results page this is around the time they start to send them!

3 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Has anyone who applied to McGill gotten that "recommendation for admission" email that they supposedly send a few days before the official acceptance letter comes? According to the results page this is around the time they start to send them!

Not yet. My prof said that they should be out this week so either we will hear today/tomorrow or they are late on things. 

2 minutes ago, Vygotsky101 said:

Not yet. My prof said that they should be out this week so either we will hear today/tomorrow or they are late on things. 

That's what I heard too! Wouldn't be surprised if they are late due to COVID as I see in this thread + the Clinical thread that that's been the case for many programs.

Just now, carlrogersfan98 said:

That's what I heard too! Wouldn't be surprised if they are late due to COVID as I see in this thread + the Clinical thread that that's been the case for many programs.

Yes exactly! I know that all final decisions have been made weeks ago but everything needs to be processed by GPS so that's probably where the hold up is.  

21 hours ago, Happiness is key said:

Just putting this out there - if anyone hears from OISE MEd Counselling and Psychotherapy if you could post on here it would be greatly appreciated! ? I know that myself and others are definitely anxiously waiting to hear!

I heard back today around 2PM! I was fortunate to receive an offer ?

39 minutes ago, lebensphilosopher said:

That's amazing, I am so happy for you! Could you share about your experience and gpa here? I know this year was especially competitive so you 100% deserved it!! 

10 hours ago, lebensphilosopher said:

Omg!!!!!!!!! Congratulations ?!!

i would love to hear your gpa/work experience too!!!!

Hello guys, this is my first time posting in here ... I applied for both MED psychotherapy and counselling at OISE and Msc. Psychotherapy at McMaster. I have not heard back from OISE (assuming a rejection by now). However, I got an interview at McMaster on February 22nd, they mentioned they were doing interviews the week after and I should hear back whether I was accepted or not by the second week of March. My question is: what do you guys think is better having MEd or Msc. with regards to more job opportunities? also, if I do the Msc. at Mcmaster, will I be able to apply to the doctoral program at OISE in the future? I wish everyone luck in the application process. It is quite nerve-racking but please do not lose hope. It took me many years before I am able to get an interview, i am sure a lot of you are competitive applicants with great skills, if this is your dream, keep fighting for it till you get in.   

4 minutes ago, MAMED said:

I just got my offer of admission for the MSC psychotherapy at Mcmaster ... feel free to message me for any questions. Good luck everyone and I wish you all the best. 

That's amazing, congratulations!!! ❤️ I'm planning on applying to that program next year and am going to PM you :)

Congratulations to those who got accepted!! 

As many schools have already sent out their interview invitations/ offers, am wondering if anyone here would apply for alternative programs e.g. Yorkville/ Athabasca if you can't get into your top choices this year? 

I talked to the admission advisor of Yorkville before, but I am afraid that the chance to practice counselling skills is not sufficient since there is not real-time lectures and in-person discussions. And how students are required to find their own practicum sites and supervisors in their province sounds risk-taking as well. Would like to hear how you guys choose between applying to these alternative programs vs try applying to the more well-known universities again :)

Hi guys, 

It's March already. Schools started rolling out their results and some of us have already heard back from schools with good or bad news. I know many people here including myself suffered from anxiety and stress about this waiting game in the past couple of months. During this time, my anxiety got really bad and it kinda led to self-blaming and low self-confidence, especially after finding out the mistakes I've made on my application and my interviews (ruminating what I've should have said but didn't). I believe not all people here are going through this same experience with me, some of you might have done really well and boosted your self-confidence as a result. But for those who are experiencing same anxiety, depressive moods or self-blaming, I wanted to share an episode of a podcast that really helped me to alternate these negative thoughts into more realistic and positive ones. Some may be already familiar with this podcast but it's called "The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos". On January 3rd they talk about the topic of self-blaming and self-compassion. Hoping everyone here can manage this anxious time in our life in a healthier way, I recommend trying listening to this on your spare time! it's only 40 minutes long :)

Edited by Jumbo3

On 3/5/2021 at 7:52 PM, Psypig said:

Congratulations to those who got accepted!! 

As many schools have already sent out their interview invitations/ offers, am wondering if anyone here would apply for alternative programs e.g. Yorkville/ Athabasca if you can't get into your top choices this year? 

I talked to the admission advisor of Yorkville before, but I am afraid that the chance to practice counselling skills is not sufficient since there is not real-time lectures and in-person discussions. And how students are required to find their own practicum sites and supervisors in their province sounds risk-taking as well. Would like to hear how you guys choose between applying to these alternative programs vs try applying to the more well-known universities again :)

The other thing I would be cautious about with Yorkville/Athabasca is that those are not CPA-accredited programs!