2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, Ydrl said:

“Dear MFA applicant” Dear god it’s the same bullshit from Syracuse that they did to me last year.

Just got mine as well... Did yours say anything about the "abilities and opinions" of instructors and their feelings on "serving the development of your writing"? Kind of an odd form letter... Mine had a p.s. about reapplication, which I think was standard...

7 minutes ago, fishfish24 said:

Just got mine as well... Did yours say anything about the "abilities and opinions" of instructors and their feelings on "serving the development of your writing"? Kind of an odd form letter... Mine had a p.s. about reapplication, which I think was standard...

mine said all of that. i think this was pretty much a form email for rejections. 

8 minutes ago, fishfish24 said:

Sounds like we got the same exact email. A more personal note would, of course, have been better, though I don't fault them for it given the 10 million applicants they have to respond to. But I also thought that the wording of this was a little strange.

3 minutes ago, kraftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy said:

Sounds like we got the same exact email. A more personal note would, of course, have been better, though I don't fault them for it given the 10 million applicants they have to respond to. But I also thought that the wording of this was a little strange.

Thanks! Yeah, I guessed it was a form email (and totally don't fault them for it), but the wording just seemed a little odd and was different from my email last year. Just curious! Thanks for the info

7 hours ago, goodcynara said:

Anyone have a favorite journal that publishes critical essays on poetry? Looking for examples of well-executed, relatively short critical essays (not reviews). Thanks in advance.

Harriet Blog? 

In the wake of my rejection from Syracuse (ouch) I send yet another imploring plea out into the universe: has LITERALLY ANYONE heard anything about fiction calls for Cornell yet??? I absolutely refuse to believe there were 0 fiction acceptances on here AND on draft for BOTH Cornell and Syracuse, that shit's too whack for my brain to entertain rn

3 minutes ago, NLake said:

I’m also wondering about news from Draft. Has anyone seen poetry acceptances for Montana? I see fiction and nonfiction on here.

I've only seen fiction and nonfiction for Montana so far (in Draft and on GradCafe). Hang in there! 

57 minutes ago, panglosian said:

In the wake of my rejection from Syracuse (ouch) I send yet another imploring plea out into the universe: has LITERALLY ANYONE heard anything about fiction calls for Cornell yet??? I absolutely refuse to believe there were 0 fiction acceptances on here AND on draft for BOTH Cornell and Syracuse, that shit's too whack for my brain to entertain rn

Update - my cry into the abyss was answered in Draft!!! Someone said they talked to a Cornell faculty member over email this week and fiction acceptances have yet to come out. They said they'll probs be out by the end of the week (though idk if that means work week which is Friday or just the week in general which means Sunday)

Holding out so much hope!!!

My only positive from this week is that the other night, while tossing and turning in my bed, I decided I'm going to write a short story called "What's the Problem, Bill?" with nothing planned out other than the title. And now I've gotten some productivity back this morning.

7 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

My only positive from this week is that the other night, while tossing and turning in my bed, I decided I'm going to write a short story called "What's the Problem, Bill?" with nothing planned out other than the title. And now I've gotten some productivity back this morning.

It's so funny you say that, I had a vague dream about a short story called "Baby Year" that I'm planning on writing for my fiction workshop. Weird how things come up in your head like that XD

just heard from Hollins - I'm in for CNF with funding info. I know someone asked about them recently so I thought I'd share. I'm torn - the funding HU is offering me (a first-year fellowship that covers tuition remission and "the opportunity to apply for" a second-year TAship)  isn't guaranteed past the first year, and the other acceptance I've gotten so far is guaranteed all 3 years with a GA from the jump. during the app process I was really drawn to HU's genre fluidity, creative ethos, and some dreamy mountain living. fuck!!!!

5 minutes ago, bettedavisthighs said:

just heard from Hollins - I'm in for CNF with funding info. I know someone asked about them recently so I thought I'd share. I'm torn - the funding HU is offering me (a first-year fellowship that covers tuition remission and "the opportunity to apply for" a second-year TAship)  isn't guaranteed past the first year, and the other acceptance I've gotten so far is guaranteed all 3 years with a GA from the jump. during the app process I was really drawn to HU's genre fluidity, creative ethos, and some dreamy mountain living. fuck!!!!

HUGE congrats! Hollins is an absolute dream program for me (especially that dreamy mountain living!). 

13 minutes ago, bettedavisthighs said:

Congrats! That's definitely a tough choice to make. Hollins seems like a really cool school.

14 minutes ago, bettedavisthighs said:

Honestly, I'd say cash is king -- before but especially now. Not to mention that, in my opinion, the third year makes a huge difference. I'm in my first year of a 3 year program, and I can't imagine being almost halfway done by now.

Congrats, regardless! That's a good problem to have!

Edited by feralgrad

For my NYU peeps (I guess this is the school I'm fixating on this week), it seems there were a couple of fiction calls yesterday reported on GradCafe, but no one has listed anything on Draft. Also nothing on Twitter, though there is a poet who got a call yesterday. I wonder if they are going down the list by priority. Just wanted to vocalize this because it does seem like they are slow rolling. I'm going to assume it's not an acceptance if I don't hear anything by tomorrow. They should send waitlists and rejections next week, based on past years.

EDIT: Someone just posted an email in the Draft group from NYU admissions which states that acceptances are "spread out over several weeks" and that - contrary to what's reported in the GC results - "approximately 20-30" new students are admitted in fiction. So I guess we'll see, but probably no use in staring at the phone like I've been doing. My brain hurts.

Edited by DeepSyntax

On 2/25/2021 at 1:23 PM, DeepSyntax said:

For my NYU peeps (I guess this is the school I'm fixating on this week), it seems there were a couple of fiction calls yesterday reported on GradCafe, but no one has listed anything on Draft. Also nothing on Twitter, though there is a poet who got a call yesterday. I wonder if they are going down the list by priority. Just wanted to vocalize this because it does seem like they are slow rolling. I'm going to assume it's not an acceptance if I don't hear anything by tomorrow. They should send waitlists and rejections next week, based on past years.

Secretly just as fixated! I thought there was only one fiction result on Grad Cafe result yesterday? But it seems impossible that she only made one call yesterday... also with fellowship so maybe they're rolling out fellowships slowly and hopefully faster for regular admissions. Have yet to see other schools giving out acceptances like this... seriously confusing. 

hoping for the best for every NYU applicant here. Speaking of alma maters... UGH 

14 hours ago, Yellow62 said:

LOL you realize Iowa has to contact 50 people not including waitlisters, right? 

Hey - I was on this forum last year during application season, weird to be back - but I was accepted to Iowa and I just want to say for anyone who is worrying right now, I was only accepted about a couple weeks before the April 15th deadline, by phone, later than any other school, and I was accepted with their most well paying fellowship. So application season is weird and just because some ppl are receiving acceptances it really doesn't mean anything. What I learned from here is that forewarning or foreworrying actually worsens your experience of the outcome, because it makes you believe you know what's going on when the administrations that handle rejections/acceptances are all wavy gravy, baby.  It really is all good until you actually personally get the no.