2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Everyone seems to be checking portals! I guess that's one more thing to obsess over hahah. My UVA portal just says "submitted." I don't know if it's all that helpful to be fretting over this when they probably won't be reaching out for some time.. That said, I get it. I'm going crazy over here

In the meantime, I just started this book called "The Queen of the Night" by Alexander Chee and have been loving it so far. I've also been playing WAY too many video games... I think these are the only two things that fully distract me from this whole crazy process. Am curious to hear what non-app related things you've been doing to keep occupied. I have started leaving my phone in the other room and that's really helped (apparently I have no self control lol). 

And CONGRATS @Ydrl !!! And to everyone else with good news ❤️ 

20 minutes ago, susweekly said:

just landed an interview for Brooklyn College (my top choice if I ignore financial restrictions). felt auspicious because it’s bernie’s alma mater and he emailed me about Walmart in the exact same second

Same here! Good luck to us both! 

20 minutes ago, susweekly said:

just landed an interview for Brooklyn College (my top choice if I ignore financial restrictions). felt auspicious because it’s bernie’s alma mater and he emailed me about Walmart in the exact same second

WOW!!! Yay!!! Congrats!!! I hope you rock your interview and I hope you get ALL the money. :D

3 minutes ago, teasel said:

Everyone seems to be checking portals! I guess that's one more thing to obsess over hahah. My UVA portal just says "submitted." I don't know if it's all that helpful to be fretting over this when they probably won't be reaching out for some time.. That said, I get it. I'm going crazy over here

In the meantime, I just started this book called "The Queen of the Night" by Alexander Chee and have been loving it so far. I've also been playing WAY too many video games... I think these are the only two things that fully distract me from this whole crazy process. Am curious to hear what non-app related things you've been doing to keep occupied. I have started leaving my phone in the other room and that's really helped (apparently I have no self control lol). 

And CONGRATS @Ydrl !!! And to everyone else with good news ❤️ 

I'm reading "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth, and loving it so far, too. :) Also, I haven't been doing a terribly good job of doing other things, but trying to remedy that today. Also, music. Lots of music.

7 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Excuse me wtf? I got into U New Hampshire????? WHAT

Congratulations!! I did a happy dance for you! I was soooo hoping you would get an offer that also had funding! Woohoo! 

3 hours ago, KZK said:

Wow - so much good news this weekend! Congrats y'all! 

I am officially in purgatory with four of my final five having sent out responses to others in the last few weeks but nothing to me yet (looking at you, Rutgers-Camden, University of Montana, University of New Mexico, and Hollins)! Ugh, the waiting is so brutal! Just put me out of my misery! 

Hollins, Purdue, FSU, LSU lol I’m in the same boat...it’s agony. 

3 minutes ago, Chabek said:

Hi everyone! I applied to New Writers Project (poetry) at UT Austin and received a notification that I'm on a "very short" waitlist. I also applied to Michener. Any poetry applicants heard from Michener yet?

Congrats!!!! I didn't apply to NWP, but I applied to Michener (poetry) and haven't heard anything. If you search "creative writing" under the grad cafe results page, it shows one acceptance for poetry from a few days ago. I usually trust the results from the draft group more, since it's less anonymous but who knows? Fiction acceptances seem to have gone out already from what I can tell at least 

Just now, teasel said:

Congrats!!!! I didn't apply to NWP, but I applied to Michener (poetry) and haven't heard anything. If you search "creative writing" under the grad cafe results page, it shows one acceptance for poetry from a few days ago. I usually trust the results from the draft group more, since it's less anonymous but who knows? Fiction acceptances seem to have gone out already from what I can tell at least 

Thanks!! And thanks for the response! Very best of luck to you and I hope you get into Michener! I have some friends who have made their way through that program and it's a special one. 

12 minutes ago, Chabek said:

Hi everyone! I applied to New Writers Project (poetry) at UT Austin and received a notification that I'm on a "very short" waitlist. I also applied to Michener. Any poetry applicants heard from Michener yet?

Congrats!! Did you hear via email about the waitlist? 

1 hour ago, teasel said:

Yeah I saw that post. It's the shrimp lover. They also posted acceptance to Iowa for fiction...so...trolling?

4 minutes ago, Chabek said:

Yeah I saw that post. It's the shrimp lover. They also posted acceptance to Iowa for fiction...so...trolling?

I know not many people get the “Shrimp” thing, but I do get it and maybe they aren’t trolling.

I’m curious if y’all will ever figure out “shrimp”, I’ll tell you if you get it right.

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I know not many people get the “Shrimp” thing, but I do get it and maybe they aren’t trolling.

I’m curious if y’all will ever figure out “shrimp”, I’ll tell you if you get it right.

Sensitive High-Resolution Ion Microprobe?

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

Syracuse-Helen Zell-Rutgers-Iowa-Michener-and now I can't think of programs beginning with P... Pittsburgh? 

Congrats to everyone who got in! First time poster here but I'm stressing out so thought I would ask! If I didn't get an interview (I applied to BK fiction, got waitlisted last year and was hoping to get in this time around) should I let go of all hope? ?‍♀️

Ahh I stopped obsessively carrying my phone everywhere because I had given up hope but then I go and MISS an acceptance call! I got into University of San Fransisco guys! I'm not so sure about funding yet so I'm still on the fence, but I got an incredibly kind and validating voicemail from Laleh Khadivi so I'm going to celebrate ☺️

3 minutes ago, evkl said:

Congrats to everyone who got in! First time poster here but I'm stressing out so thought I would ask! If I didn't get an interview (I applied to BK fiction, got waitlisted last year and was hoping to get in this time around) should I let go of all hope? ?‍♀️

I truly don't know! I've seen two other ppl on Draft who are mentioning interviews, no outright acceptances, nothing else in terms of decisions. I'm not sure if they're doing them for all prospective admits or if they're for something specific/they're on the fence about us. I wouldn't give up hope until you hear back. Did you get an interview before being waitlisted last year or did they just email you? 

1 minute ago, Nervis said:

I truly don't know! I've seen two other ppl on Draft who are mentioning interviews, no outright acceptances, nothing else in terms of decisions. I'm not sure if they're doing them for all prospective admits or if they're for something specific/they're on the fence about us. I wouldn't give up hope until you hear back. Did you get an interview before being waitlisted last year or did they just email you? 

They just emailed me! I will wait and pray then hehe ?

I don't think shrimp lover is a troll. A while back when I was searching for mentions of Iowa decisions on Twitter, I found their profile and they were being excited about an acceptance to Iowa fiction. I think they just goof around in the notes field.

Edited by fireflystasis

19 minutes ago, Jjayy said:

Syracuse-Helen Zell-Rutgers-Iowa-Michener-and now I can't think of programs beginning with P... Pittsburgh? 

Nope haha, nice use of schools in your answer though.