2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

2 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Michener is expecting to get ALL decisions out by early next week.

Thank you for asking, brave soul! Really wondering what their logic was in accepting a few then just...dropping off? Maybe it was a hot debate

3 hours ago, M-Lin said:

Thanks for letting us know! Good luck!!! 

Just wondering about folk who applied to NYC area programs how much overlap there is among the applicants? If most of these programs are getting 500 plus apps for fiction, then I figure many or a decent % of these applicants are applying to the same schools. I figure the yield rates at NY, Columbia, New School etc. must be quite a lot higher than their acceptance rates. Even competitive programs like Hunter and Brooklyn must lose accepted applicants to other programs, if they're all chasing the same people. So, I wonder if these programs maintain robust waitlists...? But maybe the applicant pools to these programs are basically discrete, which would seem weird. 

44 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Just wondering about folk who applied to NYC area programs how much overlap there is among the applicants? If most of these programs are getting 500 plus apps for fiction, then I figure many or a decent % of these applicants are applying to the same schools. I figure the yield rates at NY, Columbia, New School etc. must be quite a lot higher than their acceptance rates. Even competitive programs like Hunter and Brooklyn must lose accepted applicants to other programs, if they're all chasing the same people. So, I wonder if these programs maintain robust waitlists...? But maybe the applicant pools to these programs are basically discrete, which would seem weird. 

Looking at past results, NYU seems to keep their waitlist going until late summer... not sure how? I thought everyone has to make their choice by April 15th.

But yeah, I would think people who are looking to stay in New York, like me, are probably all applying to the same programs. But after submitting all my applications, I realized that I'm really not interested in going to a big program, so probably shouldn't have applied to The New School and Columbia. 

Hunter's website also says that once they make an offer, the applicant has one week to decide whether they accept. I don't know if it's still true but that seems a little overbearing to me... 

Edited by M-Lin

Hello Hopkins applicants - This was posted on Draft a couple of hours ago:

Hello Hopkins applicants! I just finished class with Jean McGarry who said she would email me the date they plan to call people (she couldn’t remember it off the top of her head) with acceptances! I will absolutely relay the answer to this group as well. After I explained I wasn’t “expecting much” during this, my first application cycle, she added that their program, and similarly competitive programs, like to see a year or two between undergrad and MFAs. Additionally, that of the approximately 400 applicants, only 30 or so are “worth considering.” Take that as you will, but this is not the first time I’m hearing such a thing so interested to see what y’all think.

Edited by goodcynara

11 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

Hopkins applicants: this was posted on Draft a couple of hours ago: 

AC692842-EDE5-4087-A536-BEECD2D95302.png

Hey might be nice to crop the real name off. Draft is a private group and this is a public forum. The person might not want her/their identity exposed here. Just a thought! 

Just now, M-Lin said:

Hey might be nice to crop the real name off. Draft is a private group and this is a public forum. The person might not want her/their identity exposed here. Just a thought! 

Oh dear! Will do immediately! So sorry!

On 3/3/2021 at 11:58 AM, susweekly said:

Just interviewed with Joshua Henkin at Brooklyn College. I would be interested to know if he was running the interviews for all the other finalists as well or if y’all interviewed with someone else. 

I interviewed with him on Tuesday! I think he is probably doing all of them since he seemed to have some pretty extensive slots available? I hope yours went well! I'm curious how many he's interviewing and how many they're taking on. BK is my top choice and I'm a lil anxious. 

2 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

3 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

? I think we're all losing it a little bit... 

I am for sure! I erroneously uploaded while running around doing errands. My apologies. My post now includes text only. Hope this also removes the original from your Quotes. Will check when I get to my laptop - my phone is super old!

Just now, Ydrl said:

Which schools are you waiting on?

U of Florida, Brooklyn College, Hunter College, Notre Dame, U of Maryland, Columbia, Emerson College, and Boston U. All for fiction. Looks like Florida sent out its acceptances and the two CUNY schools have their interviews going, so I'm not too confident about those.

On a more positive note, a lit magazine accepted one of my stories today.

Hadn't heard back after 3 weeks from program after an interview and emailed the graduate director (who also interviewed me) about status update. He replied, "our real challenge now is to match students and faculty with openings so there can be a rotation. We are working through that and you should hear something soon." 

does this mean a rejection? Would it be ok to email faculty of interest in the program, just introducing myself, and obviously telling them how there work interests me and how it fits in with my previous research background. ?

27 minutes ago, g to the b said:

Hadn't heard back after 3 weeks from program after an interview and emailed the graduate director (who also interviewed me) about status update. He replied, "our real challenge now is to match students and faculty with openings so there can be a rotation. We are working through that and you should hear something soon." 

does this mean a rejection? Would it be ok to email faculty of interest in the program, just introducing myself, and obviously telling them how there work interests me and how it fits in with my previous research background. ?

Hey - I saw your other posts. This is the Creative Writing board - you're probably in the wrong spot to ask this question :)

If you're also working on poem though, let me know. I love a good science crossover...

1 hour ago, Nervis said:

I interviewed with him on Tuesday! I think he is probably doing all of them since he seemed to have some pretty extensive slots available? I hope yours went well! I'm curious how many he's interviewing and how many they're taking on. BK is my top choice and I'm a lil anxious. 

Same here!!! I interviewed Wednesday and it was short and professional — truly nothing to write home about. At least he said they would try to notify us by the end of the weekend. Here’s hoping we see each other in Brooklyn next fall! ??

1 minute ago, susweekly said:

Same here!!! I interviewed Wednesday and it was short and professional — truly nothing to write home about. At least he said they would try to notify us by the end of the weekend. Here’s hoping we see each other in Brooklyn next fall! ??

Same! Good luck to us both!! 

1 hour ago, goodcynara said:

I am for sure! I erroneously uploaded while running around doing errands. My apologies. My post now includes text only. Hope this also removes the original from your Quotes. Will check when I get to my laptop - my phone is super old!

It did ?

I quit Draft/FB finally (after quitting once already but couldn't stand the wait and rejoined...) It was just taking too much of my time and energy. While I still have quite a few more schools to hear back from, the one offer and one interview I had put me slightly at ease. At least I'll have somewhere to go in the fall. Now I'm just trying to chill... though of course I'm still checking gradcafe every 10 minutes ?

45 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

Hey - I saw your other posts. This is the Creative Writing board - you're probably in the wrong spot to ask this question :)

If you're also working on poem though, let me know. I love a good science crossover...

Me, too!

13 minutes ago, Nervis said:

Same! Good luck to us both!! 

18 minutes ago, susweekly said:

Samesies! ?

It did ?

I quit Draft/FB finally (after quitting once already but couldn't stand the wait and rejoined...) It was just taking too much of my time and energy. While I still have quite a few more schools to hear back from, the one offer and one interview I had put me slightly at ease. At least I'll have somewhere to go in the fall. Now I'm just trying to chill... though of course I'm still checking gradcafe every 10 minutes ?

Congratulations on having excellent options! I admire your discipline in quitting Draft. I honestly had no idea this would be a half-yearlong gauntlet. I console myself that it promotes necessary endurance, a là this James Baldwin quote that keeps circling in my brain: “Do this book, or die. You have to go through that. Talent is insignificant. I know a lot of talented ruins. Beyond talent lie all the usual words: discipline, love, luck, but most of all, endurance.”

57 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

You’ll be happy to know that I write science based poetry.

Edited by Ydrl