MSW.K

I don’t know if anyone else applied to the University of Maryland in this thread, but I heard back from them via email today. I applied in December, but the deadline wasn’t until March so I was a little surprised. I am still waiting on one last school (BU) and UMB is my safety school, but it is nice to have options!

On 2/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, clinicalpsychphd2021 said:

Does anyone know when BU will release their admission decisions if I applied for the 1/4/21 deadline? Thank you! :) 

I was told mid to late February. I am guessing it will be either the 18th or 19th because decisions are usually released 6-8 weeks after the deadline and that would be 6 weeks from January 4th. I am also waiting and BU is my first choice. Best of luck to you!

Edited by j.peg

21 hours ago, Minhessica said:

For those who got into programs already congratulations! 

Because the pandemic isn’t over yet, if it continues into Fall 2021 would you end up deferring or don’t mind taking classes online? 

or

If it ends this year and vaccines have rolled out. Would you take in person classes Fall 2021 let’s say at Columbia/UPenn/BC/BU/UCLA if there was no social life due to people moving out and things changing? (if the experience of the city was an important factor)

hi! so i totally get what you’re saying here. i know that i considered maybe even doing an online social work program because of the pandemic situation. i am hopeful about possible vaccines this spring and summer (i believe the roll out has only been going on for a few weeks so far). i am planning to move because some schools have hybrid options, but everything is so uncertain regarding the programs, that that could change depending on what the schools plan. i went to a q&a session with current students and they said that in the pandemic group chats were a big thing among students in the program so they were able to connect that way. i think you could find safe ways to socialize with people if you wanted to try to do that (outside, masks, etc.) i understand if you would want to defer and wait for a better more normal experience. i personally, would like to get my degree asap so that i could get my career started, but i think you will know which is best for you. best of luck! :)

Edited by j.peg

Does anyone have any opinions on the MSW program at NYU vs. Columbia? I have been accepted to both and I am still waiting on a more schools, but I just want to see which program might be better. I am from CA, so I do not know much about NYC either.. let me know your thoughts or if you have heard anything (good/bad) about those programs! 

Just now, MSW.K said:

Does anyone have any opinions on the MSW program at NYU vs. Columbia? I have been accepted to both and I am still waiting on a more schools, but I just want to see which program might be better. I am from CA, so I do not know much about NYC either.. let me know your thoughts or if you have heard anything (good/bad) about those programs! 

hey! I am going through the exact same dilemna and am from CA as well! If you hear any advice about this, that would be incredibly helpful. Are you looking for a more micro or macro focus? I've heard columbia tends to be better for macro but that's about all I've seen

Hey y’all!

Anyone heard anything from UNC - Chapel Hill? I applied by the Dec 8th scholarship deadline but I recognize that might not matter when it comes to admissions timelines on their end. Either way, sure hoping decisions are released sooner than late March!

Good luck, team!

14 hours ago, sweetater said:

hey! I am going through the exact same dilemna and am from CA as well! If you hear any advice about this, that would be incredibly helpful. Are you looking for a more micro or macro focus? I've heard columbia tends to be better for macro but that's about all I've seen

Oh awesome! Are you in the group me? we can private message there if you'd like! I am still narrwoing down what I think the best program would be. I think maybe the direction I want would need a -macro focus. 

48 minutes ago, MSW.K said:

Oh awesome! Are you in the group me? we can private message there if you'd like! I am still narrwoing down what I think the best program would be. I think maybe the direction I want would need a -macro focus. 

@MSW.K @sweetater hi both!! just read through your comments thought I'd give my two cents!  I am considering NYU and HOPEFULLY will be admitted to columbia soon and be in the same boat! I  also did my undergrad in nyc  so can help if yall have questions about NY. as far as the programs go, i've also heard columbia is better for macro and nyu is more clinical but IMO, kind of feel like that is outdated because it seems like you can cater each program more to what you want to focus on through electives etc. field placements are probably very similar, so I don't think that carries too much weight for me in differentiating the two. i can't remember how columbia does field placements - I know NYU basically chooses yours the first year and you have more say the second year. Would love if you know about columbia's process bc i think field placement is super important and i have heard that a lot of first year students at NYU aren't thrilled w how it's worked out. aside from that - both also have incredible faculty and almuni network but maybe one program has better resources for what you are interested in than another? like a research lab or specific faculty member you want to work with /learn from? then of course, the $$$.   to be completely honest though, i don't think one program is significantly better than another enough to go further into debt.  sorry this is so long hahaha but would love to hear your thought processes for making your decision/ any tips from anyone else on this thread!! 

16 hours ago, j.peg said:

I was told mid to late February. I am guessing it will be either the 18th or 19th because decisions are usually released 6-8 weeks after the deadline and that would be 6 weeks from January 4th. I am also waiting and BU is my first choice. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the reply! Yikes, I hope they come out this month. BU is my top school as well! Best of luck, also! :)

Hi- if anyone here applied to Hunter CUNY i have a question: I submitted my unofficial transcripts as prompted by the application. However, now the app says my transcripts aren't submitted, and Hunter has a website that says I ought to send official transcripts in one envelope (however if they come from me... don't they cease to be official? lol. I guess they are still sealed). Is that something I'm supposed to do ASAP, rather than waiting for a decision like other schools? Thanks :D

On 2/7/2021 at 7:37 PM, MSW.K said:

I am still going to attend. I just want to get my degree started. It's tough beacuse I would love for it to be in person to gain the full experience. I am applying to all of the schools you listed, minus BC.  I am planning to move wherever I decide to go. 

What are your thoughts on attending during pandemic?

I would definitely like to take classes in person and get the full experience. During undergrad I lived a big city and loved it and now I would like to experience another big city. It would be interesting to move to a city and take online classes. But we will see. I don’t think I would defer as well because I would like to get my career start ASAP. 

52 minutes ago, clinicalpsychphd2021 said:

Thank you for the reply! Yikes, I hope they come out this month. BU is my top school as well! Best of luck, also! :)

yeah i am super anxious waiting for the decision as well! i have heard back from all the other schools i applied to and am waiting to hear back from BU before declining those offers. i would love it if they told us this week ??????

Edited by j.peg

1 hour ago, OrangeJuice14 said:

@MSW.K @sweetater hi both!! just read through your comments thought I'd give my two cents!  I am considering NYU and HOPEFULLY will be admitted to columbia soon and be in the same boat! I  also did my undergrad in nyc  so can help if yall have questions about NY. as far as the programs go, i've also heard columbia is better for macro and nyu is more clinical but IMO, kind of feel like that is outdated because it seems like you can cater each program more to what you want to focus on through electives etc. field placements are probably very similar, so I don't think that carries too much weight for me in differentiating the two. i can't remember how columbia does field placements - I know NYU basically chooses yours the first year and you have more say the second year. Would love if you know about columbia's process bc i think field placement is super important and i have heard that a lot of first year students at NYU aren't thrilled w how it's worked out. aside from that - both also have incredible faculty and almuni network but maybe one program has better resources for what you are interested in than another? like a research lab or specific faculty member you want to work with /learn from? then of course, the $$$.   to be completely honest though, i don't think one program is significantly better than another enough to go further into debt.  sorry this is so long hahaha but would love to hear your thought processes for making your decision/ any tips from anyone else on this thread!! 

Hey! It is so beyond helpful meeting people in the same boat and getting some advice from someone in the city. Being from CA, its hard to hear more details about programs in east coast As for the placements, I've heard the same frustrations are going on at Columbia (someone please correct me if I am wrong), but I do know someone who withdrew for the year because of it. It seems like its pretty much going on everywhere due to covid circumstances and many field placements not being available. I find myself a bit more drawn to the clinical focus and location of NYU but I am just scared to close opportunities by not picking an Ivy which sounds silly I know but its still in the back of my head. What school do you see yourself leaning more towards?

54 minutes ago, clinicalpsychphd2021 said:

Does anyone intend to do research during their MSW? :) 

me actually! been looking for a good program for me to pursue this. Was originally going for clinical psych PhDs but given how tough app cycle was this year and low funding in PsyDs, I've started to feel MSW is best option for me. I am still hoping to do research on the side as it is something I enjoy. PM me if you want to discuss more!

22 minutes ago, j.peg said:

yeah i am super anxious waiting for the decision as well! i have heard back from all the other schools i applied to and am waiting to hear back from BU before declining those offers. i would love it if they told us this week ??????

Congrats on the other schools! I definitely hope BU gets back to us, soon :) Did you apply to other MSW programs for their January deadlines? 

27 minutes ago, sweetater said:

Hey! It is so beyond helpful meeting people in the same boat and getting some advice from someone in the city. Being from CA, its hard to hear more details about programs in east coast As for the placements, I've heard the same frustrations are going on at Columbia (someone please correct me if I am wrong), but I do know someone who withdrew for the year because of it. It seems like its pretty much going on everywhere due to covid circumstances and many field placements not being available. I find myself a bit more drawn to the clinical focus and location of NYU but I am just scared to close opportunities by not picking an Ivy which sounds silly I know but its still in the back of my head. What school do you see yourself leaning more towards?

Hi! I am from the NYC area and I know plenty of people that attended or are attending MSW programs in the tri-state area. While Columbia is a great school and does have a lot of opportunities, it's not held in better regard than attending a different MSW program. I think they do have more opportunites for the people who want to focus on policy or international social work but there are plenty of social work programs that offer the same level of education and same opportunities at a cheaper cost. If you get an awesome scholarship and you like what hear about  the program then definitely attend but paying for cost of the ivy league name is not worth it. I know people who attended at full price and are still paying off the student loans years later. Obviously do your research, speak to current students, and attend the program that offers you the resources that helps get into field of social work that you want to do. Best of luck!

51 minutes ago, ZippyZup123 said:

Hi! I am from the NYC area and I know plenty of people that attended or are attending MSW programs in the tri-state area. While Columbia is a great school and does have a lot of opportunities, it's not held in better regard than attending a different MSW program. I think they do have more opportunites for the people who want to focus on policy or international social work but there are plenty of social work programs that offer the same level of education and same opportunities at a cheaper cost. If you get an awesome scholarship and you like what hear about  the program then definitely attend but paying for cost of the ivy league name is not worth it. I know people who attended at full price and are still paying off the student loans years later. Obviously do your research, speak to current students, and attend the program that offers you the resources that helps get into field of social work that you want to do. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for this! NYU offered me slightly more funding, do you still think its worth it to choose NYU over Columbia? 

2 hours ago, bananamuffin said:

Hi- if anyone here applied to Hunter CUNY i have a question: I submitted my unofficial transcripts as prompted by the application. However, now the app says my transcripts aren't submitted, and Hunter has a website that says I ought to send official transcripts in one envelope (however if they come from me... don't they cease to be official? lol. I guess they are still sealed). Is that something I'm supposed to do ASAP, rather than waiting for a decision like other schools? Thanks :D

Hi! This happened to me too, and I reached out to their admissions office to ask about this. They said that it's an issue with the system and they need to manually change the transcript status to submitted. It might be worth giving them a call/email to confirm that your application is complete-- you should not need to send official transcripts before being accepted. Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, ZippyZup123 said:

Adding on to this thread...  Thank you for your thoughts @ZippyZup123 @sweetater @OrangeJuice14

I found this youtube channel that focuses on her experience of the MSW program at NYU. It's for sure plus/minus but  the videos may help answer sepcific questions for the NYU program. I wish there were videos from a Columbia student prospective. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrXmW8I48g&t=27s