MSW.K

1 hour ago, sweetater said:

Thank you so much for this! NYU offered me slightly more funding, do you still think its worth it to choose NYU over Columbia? 

Hey no problem. I do not know what concentration you want to focus on but reading what you posted before I can infer that you probably want to focus on clinical route since you were checking PsyD programs. If you want to focus on the psychotherapy/ clinical route, I would recommend NYU. They have a great reputation for the clinical route and if it's the cheaper option, I would take it. I personally did not apply to NYU or Columbia but I will be attending Rutgers this fall. I know someone who is attending NYU now and is interested in doing the clinical therapy route and is loving the program. I hope this is helpful and I could give you some comfort in the choice you make. I am sure you will succeed in whichever place you choose. Best of luck!

7 minutes ago, ZippyZup123 said:

Hey no problem. I do not know what concentration you want to focus on but reading what you posted before I can infer that you probably want to focus on clinical route since you were checking PsyD programs. If you want to focus on the psychotherapy/ clinical route, I would recommend NYU. They have a great reputation for the clinical route and if it's the cheaper option, I would take it. I personally did not apply to NYU or Columbia but I will be attending Rutgers this fall. I know someone who is attending NYU now and is interested in doing the clinical therapy route and is loving the program. I hope this is helpful and I could give you some comfort in the choice you make. I am sure you will succeed in whichever place you choose. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for this, you have no idea how helpful its been. I definitely feel more at ease with my decision of NYU since psychotherapy/clinical route is my goal. And congrats on Rutgers! I've heard its a great school with great faculty, almost applied for PsyD there! Wishing you the best!!

2 minutes ago, OrangeJuice14 said:

Also going to toss into the discussion about NYU v Columbia- where's Fordham fall into the mix? Right now I've only heard back from NYU and Fordham and already struggling, if I get accepted to columbia its going to be quite the decision!

Fordham is also well regarded but there is a big difference between their in person program and their fully online program. I work with people who attended the in person program and they said that they liked the smaller classes and easy accessibility to teachers and felt supported. I also think the starting cost of Fordham is $65000 which is 20K cheaper from the start of NYU or Columbia, not including scholarships. The same can't be said with their fully online program. I was interested in their fully online program but I personally felt that they were too pushy and didn't feel professional. 

If you are curious about what some of their graduates are doing now, I know someone who is running a residential facility for I/DD population and is fantastic and the other person works for a well know hospital doing in-patient case management. Both people attribute some of their success to Fordham. 

3 minutes ago, sweetater said:

Thank you so much for this, you have no idea how helpful its been. I definitely feel more at ease with my decision of NYU since psychotherapy/clinical route is my goal. And congrats on Rutgers! I've heard its a great school with great faculty, almost applied for PsyD there! Wishing you the best!!

No problem. I have done tons of research and I am happy to help :) I am really happy with Rutgers and have been satisfied with their responses to my questions and feel supported. I also heard great things about their clinical and macro program and I am interested in both sides of social work so I want the ability to explore what I want to focus on. It also helps that they are the best and most well known social work school in NJ. I am very excited to start as well. 

Oh my goodness, this thread is popular today! 

I don't have much to weigh in on some of the discussions, but I'll throw out a question that's been asked on other forums: 

How competitive do you think MSW programs are? Are there any differences in micro/macro? And does anyone feel (or have evidence to suggest) this cycle is considerably more competitive with deferments and a possible increase in applications due to the pandemic? 

21 hours ago, j.peg said:

I don’t know if anyone else applied to the University of Maryland in this thread, but I heard back from them via email today. I applied in December, but the deadline wasn’t until March so I was a little surprised. I am still waiting on one last school (BU) and UMB is my safety school, but it is nice to have options!

Ahhh congratulations! I also applied to Maryland! Glad to hear they're relatively on top of sending out decisions, I applied mid-January and wasn't expecting a response for a long time since the admissions office seemed so busy. 

I know you've said BU is your first choice (crossing my fingers for you!), but is there a reason you applied to Maryland? I've never been to Baltimore, but find myself really attracted to the city and their program. Would love to hear how and why it made it onto your list! 

15 minutes ago, genericmswname said:

Ahhh congratulations! I also applied to Maryland! Glad to hear they're relatively on top of sending out decisions, I applied mid-January and wasn't expecting a response for a long time since the admissions office seemed so busy. 

I know you've said BU is your first choice (crossing my fingers for you!), but is there a reason you applied to Maryland? I've never been to Baltimore, but find myself really attracted to the city and their program. Would love to hear how and why it made it onto your list! 

Hi! Thanks! Yes it is good, I wasn’t expecting it because my admissions counselor had told me that they wouldn’t be reviewing applications until after the deadline, but she never replied to my follow up email when I asked if admissions were rolling. so that confused me haha. I applied to UMB because it is in close proximity to where I am currently living, to be honest that was the only reason. I actually applied to the Shady Grove campus in Rockville so I would be able to commute instead of move to Baltimore. I think it is a solid program, but just not the best fit for me because I hope to move somewhere new. Is it one of your top schools?

Edited by j.peg

1 hour ago, researchmswgirl said:

I am waiting so anxiously for UChicago to send out their admission decisions like so many of you I am sure. Has anyone reached out to them this week? I did so last week and was told the same answer as another person - that they anticipate sending decisions out within the next week. 

I got a decision at 6:09pm. I wonder if they're sending them out slowly?

Edited by msw2k21

42 minutes ago, j.peg said:

Hi! Thanks! Yes it is good, I wasn’t expecting it because my admissions counselor had told me that they wouldn’t be reviewing applications until after the deadline, but she never replied to my follow up email when I asked if admissions were rolling. so that confused me haha. I applied to UMB because it is in close proximity to where I am currently living, to be honest that was the only reason. I actually applied to the Shady Grove campus in Rockville so I would be able to commute instead of move to Baltimore. I think it is a solid program, but just not the best fit for me because I hope to move somewhere new. Is it one of your top schools?

Ah, I see! That makes sense! I also applied for similar reasons initially as I have friends in the area, but have grown more and more interested in the interests and specialities of faculty. It's a huge program with so much potential! 

I only applied to 5 schools, so it's definitely in my top haha - I don't think I have a bottom. 

Good luck to you, and thanks for responding! 

8 minutes ago, msw2k21 said:

I got a decision at 6:09pm. I wonder if they're sending them out slowly?

Assuming that was on the results page, I'm guessing it was good news?! 

And if you don't mind me asking for all us other Chicago hopefuls - what drew you to their program, and what do you think made your application? 

Glad they're finally getting back to people! Even if it's slow. 

19 minutes ago, mswfall2021 said:

oh wow, now I'm definitely going to be staring at my email waiting. do y'all think they'll be releasing all the priority deadline decisions tonight? mine still just says submitted. 

god im so sorry for making you worry ?. I have no idea, but someone else posted a decision the other day, so it seems like they are coming out in waves? I know with some schools, they have to determine scholarship and funding information for each person, so some can take longer than others. 

27 minutes ago, genericmswname said:

Assuming that was on the results page, I'm guessing it was good news?! 

And if you don't mind me asking for all us other Chicago hopefuls - what drew you to their program, and what do you think made your application? 

Glad they're finally getting back to people! Even if it's slow. 

Yes :O, I'm still in shock. I was drawn to the program because of the social justice lens and the clinical concentration's therapy techniques that are covered. What has been drawing you all to the program?

I'm not sure what made my app, but it could have been my rec letters or research/volunteer experience? 

Good luck to everyone!

6 minutes ago, msw2k21 said:

Yes :O, I'm still in shock. I was drawn to the program because of the social justice lens and the clinical concentration's therapy techniques that are covered. What has been drawing you all to the program?

I'm not sure what made my app, but it could have been my rec letters or research/volunteer experience? 

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations! So sorry to pry but did you get any scholarships?

Edited by Mswsam

54 minutes ago, msw2k21 said:

Good luck to everyone!

I would be too! That's so awesome, you should feel incredibly proud right now!

And thanks for dealing with all our anxious questions, haha; UChicago is such a toughie. I'm happy to know they value research and volunteer experience! Are you also a recent grad? 

Congratulations again. That's so huge. I hope you feel confident as hell tonight. 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:42 AM, cp98 said:

Does anyone else feel super discouraged about not hearing back anywhere yet? I know its still kind of early and I'm trying to stay optimistic, but I feel like this means I haven't gotten in anywhere. 

I feel that. I'm trying not to worry about it too much. It's difficult though, especially with decisions coming in waves.

You won't know anything for certain until you here back. Hang in there!!