MSW.K

4 hours ago, rsimons1993 said:

Hello! Any update on how this worked out for you? I am considering appealing the FA I received from WashU and I am curious to find out how it went. I just received an email back from the FA office stating that they do not negotiate FA based on awards from other schools. I am wondering if that is the case at other schools. Best of luck to you!

I'd like to second this question! 

Has anyone been successful in appealing for more aid? And by how much? 

There's a huge gap in what I've been offered from different schools (15k+ gap) and I'm wondering how realistic it is to ask schools to increase aid by such a large amount! Does anyone know if that's something schools do or have done in the past? 

Thanks so much. You guys are the best. 

10 minutes ago, msw.LS said:

I am sorry to hear:/ It’s so late minute too. But hoping you get in/ have already gotten in to the other schools you wanted! 

22 minutes ago, FearedEffect said:

I'm sorry to hear that especially since they made you wait so long. I hope that you got into some other great programs.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It wasn't meant to be. I know there is a better path for me. Wishing you luck. Hoping you get good news! 

Just now, mswcandidate2021 said:

I am also on the waitlist and haven't heard

yeah I think they have until April 15th? I am very frustrated tbh

On 4/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, EJM said:

I replied to your other thread before I saw you posted here, I'm just reposting it in case it helps anyone else thinking through their choices. 

Thanks so much for the elaborated response! I keep hearing that NYU is more clinical and I wonder how that is possible given that Hunter has a clinical pathway from year 1 (when other programs do a generalized first year.) As for tuition, I'll be paying out of state, unfortunately, so with the money from NYU the difference isn't that great.   

17 hours ago, Shan Shan Song said:

Did you hear anything yet? I found out from Depaul where I will go if I don't get into UIC that I can accept admission and rescind if I hear back from UIC. One of my doctors went to UIC for his degree and he told me hre also got waitlisted and he found out like the week before school started. I am trying to figure out if I can go to Depaul a year or two and then transfer credits and finish at UIC. Pretty sure every grad program is tailored to the specific school though but not sure. 

The assistant dean of admissions at UIC actually called me the other day and said that they were just waiting for me to accept my admission for the MPH program in order to move forward with my MSW application and accept me there. I told her that I was deciding between two schools at the moment and she said she would just get me off the waitlist. I received the letter of admission yesterday. Tbh, I'm sort of disappointed that it took only an email and phone call to get me easily off the waitlist and accepted. With how they handled this I've reinforced my decision to go with University of Michigan. I'll decline my offers at UIC and hopefully expedite the process of getting more off the waitlist! Good luck! 

10 hours ago, Korovyev said:

Thanks so much for the elaborated response! I keep hearing that NYU is more clinical and I wonder how that is possible given that Hunter has a clinical pathway from year 1 (when other programs do a generalized first year.) As for tuition, I'll be paying out of state, unfortunately, so with the money from NYU the difference isn't that great.   

Ah! I completely forgot about out of state tuition! My take on NYU being so clinical is in the clinical internships they have and the second year focus on passing your licensing boards. I'm with you though, I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make to a 2 year clinical focus. 

I wish I was more help figuring it out. Let us know what you choose!

Has anyone who applied to Columbia in Feb (regular deadline) heard from them in terms of a timeline? I know that their email from months ago said up to 8 weeks, but I may reach out to them if I don't hear by the end of week since I have deposit extensions and would like a more specific date. 

22 hours ago, rsimons1993 said:

Hello! Any update on how this worked out for you? I am considering appealing the FA I received from WashU and I am curious to find out how it went. I just received an email back from the FA office stating that they do not negotiate FA based on awards from other schools. I am wondering if that is the case at other schools. Best of luck to you!

Hi! Yes they gave me 5k more but still was not enough to make it an affordable option for me. The person I spoke to was very nice and very honest and even shared why my competing offer/program might be a better fit for me. I would definitely recommend negotiating and submitting any and all documentation they ask for. I know other schools ask for competing offers from other schools so its surprising WashU does not ask for those! Good luck!!! 

34 minutes ago, cccrsn22 said:

Has anyone who applied to Columbia in Feb (regular deadline) heard from them in terms of a timeline? I know that their email from months ago said up to 8 weeks, but I may reach out to them if I don't hear by the end of week since I have deposit extensions and would like a more specific date. 

Last time I communicated with the school, which was early last week, I was still told that decisions for regular deadline applicants would be around mid-April ?

46 minutes ago, cccrsn22 said:

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and asked about the timeline because I had a deadline approaching. They sent a seemingly copy-and-pasted response about priority applicants finding out in February and regular applicants in late March to early April. 

On 4/5/2021 at 6:57 PM, mswhopeful21 said:

On the same boat with work study and living off campus, but it's still far from affordable and I can't imagine taking out that level of debt with the expected starting salary... I'm almost certain I will turn down Columbia and go to Hunter. What are you thinking? 

I committed to BC last month because at the time Columbia had told me I wouldn’t hear back for a few weeks. I was hoping that Columbia would give me better money than BC but BC is cheaper even with me having to find housing.

19 minutes ago, cp98 said:

I committed to BC last month because at the time Columbia had told me I wouldn’t hear back for a few weeks. I was hoping that Columbia would give me better money than BC but BC is cheaper even with me having to find housing.

Makes sense. Congrats on committing! It's such a relief to be nearing the end of the whole application process. 

3 hours ago, cccrsn22 said:

I emailed a week ago asking for an update - like a few other people, I have decision deadlines approaching - and I got a form email in response: 

"Applicants who complete their applications by December 1, 2020 will receive an admissions notification in February 2021. All other applicants who complete an application for the fall 2021 term will receive an admissions notification between late March and early April. We have received a record number of applications this year and are working our hardest to make sure each application gets the attention it deserves. We appreciate your patience." 

1 hour ago, HopefulMSWStudent2021 said:

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to Columbia today!!! My application was complete on January 18. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from schools!!

Congratulations!!! It looks like Columbia is starting to release people who applied mid January. I think February applications will come out mid-late April