Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

So, for anyone who might be wondering, I got an email 2 hours ago from the University of Chicago that my application was under review and that they would be making decisions by mid-February. I'm really nervous, but fingers crossed! 

45 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

So, for anyone who might be wondering, I got an email 2 hours ago from the University of Chicago that my application was under review and that they would be making decisions by mid-February. I'm really nervous, but fingers crossed! 

I got one from Florida State University that also said they were reviewing my application. They didn't indicate when final decisions would be made, though.

I guess I like to be informed, but I kinda wish they wouldn't send so many emails out. I get a heart attack every time.

Yeah, @TaciturnTales, I can completely understand that! I'm glad that the University of Chicago at least told me the decision timeframe. I personally like being informed but they really need to work on the subject lines so we don't freak out when seeing it. I got an accidental email about acceptance from a program before and that's never fun! The day after we got an apology email about the department mistakenly sending it out. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to anyone else!

28 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

I got an accidental email about acceptance from a program before and that's never fun! The day after we got an apology email about the department mistakenly sending it out. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to anyone else!

That is absolutely awful. I am so sorry.

3 minutes ago, TaciturnTales said:

That is absolutely awful. I am so sorry.

Thanks. Honestly, I just had to laugh because I didn't know what else to do about it. Just crossing my fingers and trying to focus on work stuff until I hear back from schools!

Can anyone clarify some university politics to me? I spoke with a PI at a university I applied to and they told me they make decisions after they have a meeting with the department and a meeting with the field. What does this mean? Is this an peculiarity for this one university or a common division? Any clarity would be helpful!

1 hour ago, Chaplin said:

Can anyone clarify some university politics to me? I spoke with a PI at a university I applied to and they told me they make decisions after they have a meeting with the department and a meeting with the field. What does this mean? Is this an peculiarity for this one university or a common division? Any clarity would be helpful!

It sounds like some/all professors who are categorized in a given field of study (you should have gotten a chance to specify this in your SOP or on the application, examples may be things like "archaeology" or "Greek philosophy" or "late antiquity") get to choose the student(s) they most want to admit who match their field of study, and then the different fields discuss it to decide who actually gets admitted to the department.

There's a parallel process in the history departments I'm applying to, so I think this is relatively common in the humanities.

1 minute ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

It sounds like some/all professors who are categorized in a given field of study (you should have gotten a chance to specify this in your SOP or on the application, examples may be things like "archaeology" or "Greek philosophy" or "late antiquity") get to choose the student(s) they most want to admit who match their field of study, and then the different fields discuss it to decide who actually gets admitted to the department.

There's a parallel process in the history departments I'm applying to, so I think this is relatively common in the humanities.

that clears things up a bit - thanks so much!

Congrats to everyone who have gotten interviews or acceptances already!

And, @ClassicsApp21, I'm honestly surprised people are hearing back this soon. I'm not expecting all of mine to come in until mid-March at the earliest (I know about the University of Chicago to say my app was under review but that's the only thing I've heard so far).

Very interesting@ClassicsCandidate, thanks for sharing your perspective! Actually I know nothing about the results time frame. I am an international students and I think I have been very anxious. But you are right, most of the Programs say the candidates won't hear from them until Feb / March.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by ClassicsApp21

we're all impatient and wanting updates, so I thought I'd let you guys know that my app at UBC has changed from 'submitted' to 'in progress', so it looks like they've started the review process!! Fingers crossed!

@ClassicsApp21 Yeah, I asked a while ago for folks I know in PhD programs when they heard about their acceptances. Some people said they heard back really early, some people said they heard back right before the deadline to decide, and a few told me they heard AFTER the deadline to choose or not at all. So, it could be all over the place. Also, waitlisted results might not come back until right before the choice deadline, too. We'll see.

Crossing my fingers for you, too, @exhaustionandtoast!

18 minutes ago, PeppermintTea said:

Anyone have any tips on how to stop checking my email every 20 minutes...?

I've been dealing with this a lot myself. 
I'm trying to distract myself with other projects; I'm about to make a schedule for things I have to do during the day, i.e. work, but then things I want to do, like volunteer hours (I'm doing a lot of online stuff), creative writing, and trying to clear out my regular emails because I have so many. Usually, that is tedious enough for me to want to get away from my inbox, lol. I hope you find something to distract yourself! I'm trying to fully dive into hobbies and hope it helps.

1 hour ago, Chaplin said:

soooooo how's everyone doing? I think the worst part of this stage is not knowing when we'll hear back. Wishing everyone good news!

I still have another application due, so luckily that's keeping me distracted. After that, my plan is to just pretend that graduate school doesn't exist.