MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 minute ago, XSX said:

I did like the faculty. And the setup was each faculty member asked me one question. Questions that were asked included: Why I wanted to go to grad school and why UW? How do you view your work in relation to the current political climate? What was a recent exhibition you saw that had an impact on your work? What was your most valuable thing learned during your undergrad experience? How do you imagine seeing your work 5 years from now?

Hope that helps? I'm assuming photo will have different questions. 

thank you! I will practice these questions just in case. 

2 hours ago, LisaM said:

Can you share more about your experience? This concerns me as CalArts was one of my top choices, but I've never visited the campus...

Hi Lisa, last time I applied to schools I got accepted to CalArts, and I visited for my interview. Evidently, I didn’t go at the end. Partially, it was because of the funding. It’s a very expensive school without great financial aid. I got about 1/3 of the tuition covered by scholarship, and that definitely was not enough for me, especially if I was gonna be living in California. I would be willing to take that amount of debt, for Yale MAYBE. I also visited Yale’s school of art, back then when you could do such things. Back to CalArts, I *really* disliked the vibe of the place. Current grad students were day drinking with the applicants to be interviewed. I have nothing against alcohol, but the whole vibe was seriously weird, and not good weird. I just feel like I had enough of that non-chalant, destructive, teen-like attitude in college. I take my studies very seriously, and the ambiance at the school seemed very naive, and not very serious at all. I saw the painting MFA thesis show and I really disliked everything I saw except for the work of one person, everything else seemed extremely derivative. Cherry on top: teachers confused my home country when interviewing in sort of racist fucked up way... 

Anyways, particularly in contrast to the vibe at Yale, or Northwestern, where I also visited, CalArts just seemed like freshman year in college all over again. Also, their students tend to be on the younger side in comparison to other MFA programs.

This is just my experience, in the painting department specifically.

Edited by Hphphphp

3 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi Lisa, last time I applied to schools I got accepted to CalArts, and I visited for my interview. Evidently, I didn’t go at end. Partially, it was because of the funding. It’s a very expensive school without great financial aid. I got about 1/3 of the tuition covered by scholarship, and that definitely was not enough for me, especially if I was gonna be living in California. I would be willing to take that amount of debt, for Yale MAYBE. I also visited Yale’s school of art, back then when you could do such things. Back to CalArts, I *really* disliked the vibe of the place. Current grad students were day drinking with the applicants to be interviewed. I have nothing against alcohol, but the whole vibe was seriously weird, and not good weird. I just feel like I had enough of that non-chalant, destructive, teen-like attitude in college. I take my studies very seriously, and the ambiance at the school seemed very naive, and not very serious at all. I saw the painting MFA thesis show and I really disliked everything I saw except for the work of one person, everything else seemed extremely derivative. Cherry on top: teachers confused my home country when interviewing in sort of racist fucked up way... 

Anyways, particularly in contrast to the vibe at Yale, or Northwestern, where I also visited, CalArts just seemed like freshman year in college all over again. Also, their students tend to be on the younger side in comparison to other MFA programs.

Damn. I am so sorry about your experience. it IS really fucked up considering that it seems to have so much prestige. To me it was or is a top choice school because of the faculty (people like Sharon Lockhart of Jo Ann Callis, whose photography I have a connection to on a personal level). 

I wonder, do you think it is better when the grad cohort consists of older students? (For example, my husband who is 32 is horribly worried that he is becoming too old for grad school, while on the contrary, I am 24). 

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

Damn. I am so sorry about your experience. it IS really fucked up considering that it seems to have so much prestige. To me it was or is a top choice school because of the faculty (people like Sharon Lockhart of Jo Ann Callis, whose photography I have a connection to on a personal level). 

I wonder, do you think it is better when the grad cohort consists of older students? (For example, my husband who is 32 is horribly worried that he is becoming too old for grad school, while on the contrary, I am 24). 

In general, MFA programs prefer older students. As long as you’ve kept a studio practice and you have a lot of strong work to show from the past year, age will work to your benefit.I am 27, I am applying to MFAs for the second time, last time I was a senior in college. I sort of knew I was gonna get rejected, although I did get into CalArts. I wanted to have the experience of applying while having the resources and coaching of faculty for my application. I am really glad I did apply before because I learned A LOT doing it. And I am definitely super glad I took time to get professional experience and work on my art practice. MFA programs definitely tend to favor having professional experience, maturity and grounded expectations. ? good luck! You got this!

Edited by Hphphphp

9 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

In general, MFA programs prefer older students. As long as you’ve kept a studio practice and you have a lot of strong work to show from the past year, age will work to your benefit.I am 27, I am applying to MFAs for the second time, last time I was a senior in college. I sort of knew I was gonna get rejected, although I did get into CalArts. I wanted to have the experience of applying while having the resources and coaching of faculty for my application. I am really glad I did apply before because I learned A LOT doing it. And I am definitely super glad I took time to get professional experience and work on my art practice. MFA programs definitely tend to favor having professional experience, maturity and grounded expectations. The question is how will YOU show them that ? good luck! You got this!

Thank you so much. You seem really sweet. 

Just an update

MFA Photo. Just got a interview request from Columbia Chicago. Still waiting to hear back from RISD :/. After I get work back from them that will round out all the schools I applied to.

Has anyone heard back from RISD?

40 minutes ago, seenmanwell said:

Just an update

MFA Photo. Just got a interview request from Columbia Chicago. Still waiting to hear back from RISD :/. After I get work back from them that will round out all the schools I applied to.

Has anyone heard back from RISD?

What department? I saw on this thread that some people got interview invite from RISD painting. I haven’t heard anything from them. They don’t interview everyone who gets accepted though

2 hours ago, berries said:

What department? I saw on this thread that some people got interview invite from RISD painting. I haven’t heard anything from them. They don’t interview everyone who gets accepted though

Photo department. I wasn't aware that they don't interview everyone accepted. I thought an interview would be standard. Fingers crossed then

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Great to hear everyones successes, and help!

Quick question here, I have an interview at the end of the month for Yale photo. Wonder if there are any other's here who have clarity on the image submission process. Along with images they're asking for a PDF thumbnail inventory. Can someone tell me wha t the heck that means lol. 

Much love and good luck to everyone!

For anyone thinking about Bard my friend (current student) told me that this summer will be hybrid. As many as 80% of faculty will only be online. I know interviews haven't even been released yet...but I wonder what they will tell interviewees.

Edited by theundoing

2 hours ago, theundoing said:

For anyone thinking about Bard my friend (current student) told me that this summer will be hybrid. As many as 80% of faculty will only be online. I know interviews haven't even been released yet...but I wonder what they will tell interviewees.

I think this will be the case across all summer / low-residency programs, given the state of vaccines and the continued uncertainty. It sounds like the hybrid model is to have the facilities be accessible for students who want to be there in person, but allow students to participate remotely if they prefer, have classes online, and potentially have some in-person gatherings (socially distanced, etc.) All of this subject to change based on what happens of course.... (sigh)

42 minutes ago, artist wannabe said:

For RISD applicants admission office told me that decision will be out on March 1st.

Hello, thank you for giving useful information.

Is that final decision, and is it go for every applicant even who did not invited for interviews? 

I am afraid because I did not get any replies from RISD and also have not found anyone received an interview from the department that I applied. Usually, so far as I know, no interview means rejection... I am getting nervous day by day... ?

Edited by yellowishoverripecucumber

2 hours ago, 123123435 said:

Oh that's some interesting information about Bard. Thanks! Any idea about the size of their cohorts? I applied to Bard for painting.

I would think that the painting cohort will become much larger than usual as they still will accept students (my friend doesn't know how many) but the three painting students who were accepted last year will re-enter as first years so new painters will be added to their cohort. My friend says that she would be shocked if they accept more than 4 people as 7 is the largest cohort size she has ever seen in any discipline (my friend is a third year). 

Edited by theundoing

1 hour ago, cabindweller said:

I think this will be the case across all summer / low-residency programs, given the state of vaccines and the continued uncertainty. It sounds like the hybrid model is to have the facilities be accessible for students who want to be there in person, but allow students to participate remotely if they prefer, have classes online, and potentially have some in-person gatherings (socially distanced, etc.) All of this subject to change based on what happens of course.... (sigh)

yeah. it is just bizarre for Bard as they aren't known for having amazing facilities.  It is definitely not an ideal situation. but of course its not the fault of the school. I just hope they communicate effectively with whoever is invited for an interview.

Edited by theundoing

On 2/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, 8arock said:

I've asked questions about grad student outcomes, ie do graduates stay in the area? Does the program have specific objectives for their grads? What kinds of things have students recently gone on to do?

Congrats on the interview! Who contacted you about it?

Thanks for these! The person who contacted me was named Meghan.

10 minutes ago, katkat said:

Thanks for these! The person who contacted me was named Meghan.

Congrats on your interview with U of Michigan! 

U of Michigan said they'd contact students for interviews in mid-late February. Did your invitation mention anything like they are still in the process of reviewing applicants for interviews? If not, I think I am rejected lol. No invitation from U of Michigan yet. 

22 hours ago, LisaM said:

Can you share more about your experience? This concerns me as CalArts was one of my top choices, but I've never visited the campus...

I don't quite agree with the assessment with CalArts based on my friend's experience. Regardless, CalArts has a ton of weight in the contemporary art world. Also it's a West Coast art so things are going to be less formal then if you were to hang out on the East Coast. Geography and culture are going to be key factors in the art world environs.

14 minutes ago, papayalalala said:

Congrats on your interview with U of Michigan! 

U of Michigan said they'd contact students for interviews in mid-late February. Did your invitation mention anything like they are still in the process of reviewing applicants for interviews? If not, I think I am rejected lol. No invitation from U of Michigan yet. 

also waiting on u michigan and feeling a lil dejected! 

20 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi Lisa, last time I applied to schools I got accepted to CalArts, and I visited for my interview. Evidently, I didn’t go at the end. Partially, it was because of the funding. It’s a very expensive school without great financial aid. I got about 1/3 of the tuition covered by scholarship, and that definitely was not enough for me, especially if I was gonna be living in California. I would be willing to take that amount of debt, for Yale MAYBE. I also visited Yale’s school of art, back then when you could do such things. Back to CalArts, I *really* disliked the vibe of the place. Current grad students were day drinking with the applicants to be interviewed. I have nothing against alcohol, but the whole vibe was seriously weird, and not good weird. I just feel like I had enough of that non-chalant, destructive, teen-like attitude in college. I take my studies very seriously, and the ambiance at the school seemed very naive, and not very serious at all. I saw the painting MFA thesis show and I really disliked everything I saw except for the work of one person, everything else seemed extremely derivative. Cherry on top: teachers confused my home country when interviewing in sort of racist fucked up way... 

This is just my experience, in the painting department specifically.

I really appreciate you taking time to share your experience, a variety of perspectives is really helpful! 

16 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I don't quite agree with the assessment with CalArts based on my friend's experience. Regardless, CalArts has a ton of weight in the contemporary art world. Also it's a West Coast art so things are going to be less formal then if you were to hang out on the East Coast. Geography and culture are going to be key factors in the art world environs.

Thank you for sharing your opinion as well! I have an interview scheduled for the art + tech program, so it helps to hear these things. I'm originally from California, so that vibe is familiar to me, but I do think it's important to taken in people's perspectives, as I've never visited any of the schools I applied to!