2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, polisci1 said:

Just wanted to pop in here and say that UChicago’s MA programs (CIR and MAPSS) do offer quite a bit of funding! Full tuition waiver, 2/3, 3/4 etc, is all very doable. And they’re really amazing programs (CIR if you’re CP or IR, MAPSS for AP), with great PhD placement!

I checked the box on my Chicago app that I'd be fine with an offer for CIR if I didn't get admitted to the PHD program there. I'm hoping when I do get the rejection I get an offer to CIR with at least SOME funding. I'd consider that to be sure. 

8 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I checked the box on my Chicago app that I'd be fine with an offer for CIR if I didn't get admitted to the PHD program there. I'm hoping when I do get the rejection I get an offer to CIR with at least SOME funding. I'd consider that to be sure. 

I don't remember if I checked that box or not...a CIR acceptance with some form of funding would be manageable!

9 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I don't remember if I checked that box or not...a CIR acceptance with some form of funding would be manageable!

Well I'd say wait until you get the official rejection letter back and hopefully you have an offer. If not you can reach out to the DGS and say you meant to check that box or you could just apply for CIR if you are willing to go that route, the application is open until April 30th.

Edited by Mad Scientist Malfrost
I checked when the CIR deadline was like a proper researcher.

12 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Well I'd say wait until you get the official rejection letter back and hopefully you have an offer. If not you can reach out to the DGS and say you meant to check that box or you could just apply for CIR if you are willing to go that route, the application is open until April 30th.

That’s what I did! I let them know I want to be considered and I reapplied but they waived the fee and linked the transcripts and GRE scores! 

Edited by nivy25

For those of us they maybe experiencing some existential dread I recommend this video below where someone has clipped Steve Harvey to make it look like he is constantly experiencing an  existential crisis. Sometimes you get the most relief and cantharis by being able to laugh at your own circumstances from the outside looking in I find!

1 minute ago, nivy25 said:

That’s what I did! I let them know I want to be considered and I reapplied but they waived the fee and linked the transcripts and GRE scores! 

So you've already sent in an application for CIR? I'm guessing you had to get new LoRs? 

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

So you've already sent in an application for CIR? I'm guessing you had to get new LoRs? 

Yes I have. Two of my professors checked a box that said they didn’t mind if I used this recommendation for any other application this year, so they didn’t have to resubmit it. I asked two others to resubmit the same one they did for the PhD app. I don’t know if the professors made any changes cause I waived the right to see them. 

6 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Yes I have. Two of my professors checked a box that said they didn’t mind if I used this recommendation for any other application this year, so they didn’t have to resubmit it. I asked two others to resubmit the same one they did for the PhD app. I don’t know if the professors made any changes cause I waived the right to see them. 

Gotcha. Thanks for this info. I'll reach out to someone at CIR to see if I do indeed need to go through the whole application process again or if since I clicked the box saying to consider on the PHD that will already be handled. I don't want to send them another app to read through if they don't need it per say. 

9 hours ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Just one confirmed UChicago admit on the forums, huh? Guessing they really cut back on the cohort this year too. 

One of the POIs I have known now for a while told me that they received ~600 applications (last year was 300-350) and have cut down their cohort from 22 to 8. So yes that's like an 83% reduction in the chance of getting into Chicago. It's nuts.

Edited by poliscihopeful2021

3 hours ago, comradecommissar said:

Did anyone who got waitlisted at Princeton get a third, more optimistic email from a faculty member regarding the waitlist or is it just me?

Nope, no other email. I'm waitlisted in CP. I know someone in the PE/FQ track that got a similar email from the director of the Research program in PE. What subfield are you in and which prof. emailed you?

Edited by poliscihopeful2021

15 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Nope, no other email. I'm waitlisted in CP. I know someone in the PE/FQ track that got a similar email from the director of the Research program in PE. What subfield are you in and which prof. emailed you?

I'm in CP too. Though the Professor who emailed is IR. This probably means nothing, the odds of getting off the waitlist are extremely low. 

31 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Historically speaking, how many people get an admission off a waitlist at a top-10 program? Asking because I have no clue about how this waitlist process works.

Meeting with Princeton's PE director this week, will ask just that and report back!