2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

10 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Random, but does anyone actually know the likelihood (%) of getting accepted into a PhD program? Ive tried to google this and most things come up around 4-10% change of getting admitted. Maybe this is fake lol. But I'm just wondering. 

Also - do we know what the *average* intake of PhD students (in the poli sci dept) will be this year at any given uni? I'm under the impression its like 8-12? 

3 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

But COVID has seen a huge spike in applications...  not to mention tight budgets.  So there's no telling this year, although it looks much more competitive than usual.  

It really is pointless to speculate the figures for this year. It’s completely unprecedented so we really can’t draw any solid inferences even using data from previous years. For instance, Georgetown’s rate has allegedly dropped to 1% (according to the information received by a poster on here). 

Just now, BrownSugar said:

It really is pointless to speculate the figures for this year. It’s completely unprecedented so we really can’t draw any solid inferences even using data from previous years. For instance, Georgetown’s rate has allegedly dropped to 1% (according to the information received by a poster on here). 

True say. But holy 1%!!?!?? wow lol

Just now, icemanyeo said:

I wonder how many schools will switch back to requiring the GRE after this cycle, given so many of them were able to admit people without solely relying on it upfront (my assumption for GRE-optional schools).

I hope the GRE stays optional or outright gets axed from admissions. There is little proof that standardized testing is a good indication of success in grad school and it's well know that it's biased against PoC who have neither the time nor funds to prepare for it as well as middle to upper class whites. 

1 minute ago, icemanyeo said:

I wonder how many schools will switch back to requiring the GRE after this cycle, given so many of them were able to admit people without relying on it upfront (my assumption for GRE-optional schools).

I'm wondering this too!!!! I feel like a lot of people wouldn't have submitted scores this year unless they were super confident in them....

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I hope the GRE stays optional or outright gets axed from admissions. There is little proof that standardized testing is a good indication of success in grad school and it's well know that it's biased against PoC who have neither the time nor funds to prepare for it as well as middle to upper class whites. 

Wholeheartedly agree. If anything, this cycle should show admissions committees that the GRE is of little, if any, value. 

5 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Wholeheartedly agree. If anything, this cycle should show admissions committees that the GRE is of little, if any, value. 

Yup, agree with this too. And its also another [unnecessary] cost + stressor for applicants....

Edited by polisci_gal

1 minute ago, StarkDark1 said:

If Foucault were alive today, he'd probably write a book on the GRE as a type of disciplinary power.  ?

That's a good take and I like it a lot lol 

Well it's going on 6 PM EST which means I won't be hearing anything more today most likely. Congrats to all the various admits to different schools! Glad so many people got good news today. I'll be trying to take some of my own advice and attempt to not let this Emory rejection get me down too much! Tomorrow is another day!

1 minute ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Well it's going on 6 PM EST which means I won't be hearing anything more today most likely. Congrats to all the various admits to different schools! Glad so many people got good news today. I'll be trying to take some of my own advice and attempt to not let this Emory rejection get me down too much! Tomorrow is another day!

If you have to grieve the rejection just let it all out and move on -- feels pretty liberating.

I know that everyone has complained about this a ton of times, but I also just wish schools would release their rejections on the same day as all their acceptances. Even if it's way later in the day. For example, for Duke, I've noticed in the past that sometimes their rejections come at least a week after their acceptances. If you already know who is going to be waitlisted or accepted, and already also know who is going to be rejected. Just reject us poor souls that are just sitting on our hands!

Just now, timeseries said:

I haven't heard from Michigan yet. Have you received a rejection letter yet, or are you just assuming?

Assuming given the volume of acceptances in the forum and that it was a mass email from DGS.

2 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Are we thinking all Michigan results came out today? 

At least for acceptances, that's what I'm thinking. Given that some have already claimed here and not everyone who gets an offer is on Grad Cafe, the ones claiming it here might be what we get from a yield of 8-10 people.

Edited by icemanyeo

1 minute ago, icemanyeo said:

At least for acceptances, that's what I'm thinking. Given that some have already claimed here and not everyone who gets an offer is on Grad Cafe, the ones claiming it here might be what we get from a yield of 8-10 people.

Damn. This sucks. Looks like I have to count that as a reject too then cause I haven't heard about being accepted today.

Congratulations to everyone who got happy news today!! 

To those who haven’t and are still waiting, just remember it’s not over until the very last decision comes in. So please don’t lose all of your hope and positivity. Just keep carrying on with your lives as normally as you can until the cycle is over! It’ll definitely help with your well-being. 

1 minute ago, kmccorm327 said:

I know that everyone has complained about this a ton of times, but I also just wish schools would release their rejections on the same day as all their acceptances. Even if it's way later in the day. For example, for Duke, I've noticed in the past that sometimes their rejections come at least a week after their acceptances. If you already know who is going to be waitlisted or accepted, and already also know who is going to be rejected. Just reject us poor souls that are just sitting on our hands!

I'm starting to think we should have a thread documenting ways in which the process could be improved--even it ends up just preaching to the choir, there is catharsis in documentation. This cycle especially raises new questions about the burden the process places on applicants, such as whether collecting application fees for a 1/3 cohort is fair.

26 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I wonder how many schools will switch back to requiring the GRE after this cycle, given so many of them were able to admit people without relying on it upfront (my assumption for GRE-optional schools).

While I really hope that it remains optional or even completely hacked out, I doubt that will happen. Chances are it will be reinstated as a way of curbing the spike in the number of applicants

Just now, Habermas said:

I'm starting to think we should have a thread documenting ways in which the process could be improved--even it ends up just preaching to the choir, there is catharsis in documentation. This cycle especially raises new questions about the burden the process places on applicants, such as whether collecting application fees for a 1/3 cohort is fair.

I've been thinking about this. I would probably not have applied to a couple places if I knew they were taking say 8 people instead of their usual 15-20. (and unfortunately I submitted my applications as soon as I had them done once portals opened so I could focus on MA coursework)