2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I am with you there, friend. Out of curiosity what professor in IR were you hoping to work with at Emory?

Gade, Davis and Sexton. To be really honest, it wasn't the best research fit for me. I still wanted to apply to Emory and learn more in that area of research, and because I really liked the program overall. You?

2 minutes ago, polisciii said:

Re: Apparently Duke interviewed with those that they were not sure.

How do you know this?

Not a sophisticated inference. Just seen that above another person claimed a Duke admit with no interview. 

RED_Cardalso claim a Duke admit. No interview. Political institutions. Notification via email to check the portal.

Edited by TwitterNotGivenAPItoME

Claiming an Emory rejection. It was basically my top choice school and I thought I had great fit. Grad school standard email that didn't even have my name. No clue as to why I've done nothing but strike out this cycle... This one hurts. 

Anyone have any input on backup plans/MA/jobs/fellowships?

Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. First, congrats to all the recently admitted! So exciting!

I haven't seen many MA applicants posting in here (maybe you're lurking too), but I'm wondering if it's common for admissions notices to comes later in the spring for MA programs? Like everyone else I am obsessively checking my email and worried about the large applicant pool, but I have a feeling I won't get any news until March at the earliest so I think I'm torturing myself pointlessly.

Edited by foucaultscat

16 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Claiming an Emory rejection. It was basically my top choice school and I thought I had great fit. Grad school standard email that didn't even have my name. No clue as to why I've done nothing but strike out this cycle... This one hurts. 

What is your subfield?

17 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

I'm right there with you! I've applied for 3 Masters programs: LSE, Columbia and Chicago. LSE and Chicago are still taking applications. 

If you know of any fellowships, then let me know! I'm also in the midst of a job search, primarily looking at think tanks and corporations like Booz Allen Hamilton, or other political consulting firms. Journalism might be a good bet too. 

2 hours ago, nivy25 said:

I don't want to sound like a horrible person, but seeing other people receive rejections makes me feel like this is so normal. In the beginning, I would almost take it personally and almost think that other people are better, or more qualified (which they are many times). But now, after seeing really really talented and qualified people being rejected makes me feel like this process is honestly so random and based on chance, and the reason I'm getting rejected is not because I'm necessarily underqualified but simply because it's a tough year with tough choices. 

I've received a few rejection emails so far, and I truly believe graduate departments when they sympathize and say that they were unable to admit a lot of highly qualified applicants because this is probably true! 

So if you're in the same boat as I am, and you're getting rejections, just try not to blame it on yourself and just look at it as an opportunity to keep doing what you do and improve until your time comes :)

I really don't think the process is random or based on chance at all, it is all about fit. Given how competitive it is this year, even a "loose fit" will probably not suffice. I think that's the mistake a lot of people made, they applied to schools simply because of ranking and name. 

24 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Not to be the Debbie Downer but there's honestly no solid/guaranteed backup plan possible.

1) Graduate school competition in general has increased due to pandemic, and with most MAs being devoid of funding, it's extra debt (depending on where you go to school)

2) Jobs and Fellowships are also highly competitive. I have friends with similar credentials who have been on the academic research/political consulting/campaigns job market since August who have yet to land anything after several applications.

Edited by icemanyeo

Just now, raabs said:

I really don't think the process is random or based on chance at all, it is all about fit. Given how competitive it is this year, even a "loose fit" will probably not suffice. I think that's the mistake a lot of people made, they applied to schools simply because of ranking and name. 

I understand what you mean and fit is incredibly important. I've also seen people who believed they had the best "research fit" with schools that have been rejected from those. Additionally, sometimes, a lot of great people work on similar research areas and that gets them far, but out of those few only 1-2 are selected due to other limitations. Also, sometimes even if you do have a great fit, that professor might not be taking more students that year, or might want to slightly change the direction of their research etc. The possibilities are endless and that's what makes this process so unpredictable (almost random) in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, raabs said:

Agreed that good fit is more important than anything else.  I got accepted to UC Irvine because of strong fit but got put on the wait list for UMass, which is lower ranked.

Just now, icemanyeo said:

Not to be the Debbie Downer but there's honestly no backup plan possible.

1) Graduate school competition in general has increased due to pandemic, and with most master's being devoid of funding, it's extra debt (depending on where you go to school)

2) Jobs and Fellowships are also highly competitive. I have friends with similar credentials who have been on the academic research/political consulting/campaigns job market since August who have yet to land anything after several applications.

I see what you mean. There's definitely no guarantee that you will get a job, and the job market (especially rn) is incredibly competitive. Almost the same odds of getting into a PhD program if I may. We can still "try" I guess and see how it goes.

A lot of schools in Canada and Europe are a lot cheaper for Masters so that's a possible avenue to explore. Additionally, I feel like one could also independently try to learn some research skills or topics that might help them by taking online courses with top universities. (Definitely not the most attractive thing on your profile if you're trying again for next year, but definitely looks better than doing nothing). 

Hey, I've been lurking here a bunch and just wanted to say I really appreciate this thread. I've cycled between feeling like trash about rejections and feeling hopeful for the next batch of decisions; seeing a bunch of other people going through the same kinda stuff and offering consolation or insights to one another has helped my mood a lot. Knowing this community of talented and genuinely kind people is out there makes me feel way more secure about what I'd be getting into by going for a PhD.

This waiting game sucks ass, but you guys are gems. That's all.

Just now, nivy25 said:

I see what you mean. There's definitely no guarantee that you will get a job, and the job market (especially rn) is incredibly competitive. Almost the same odds of getting into a PhD program if I may. We can still "try" I guess and see how it goes.

A lot of schools in Canada and Europe are a lot cheaper for Masters so that's a possible avenue to explore. Additionally, I feel like one could also independently try to learn some research skills or topics that might help them by taking online courses with top universities. (Definitely not the most attractive thing on your profile if you're trying again for next year, but definitely looks better than doing nothing). 

1 minute ago, StarkDark1 said:

Agreed that good fit is more important than anything else.  I got accepted to UC Irvine because of strong fit but got put on the wait list for UMass, which is lower ranked.

I think a lot of applicants see a professor has published on peacekeeping (random example) and they assume they are a strong fit because the applicant is also interested in peacekeeping. While that may normally be a good fit, these unprecedented times mean that an even stronger fit is required. In terms of whether a professor is taking a sabbatical or not is definitely luck, but I'd still say that schools are being more strategic than ever this year. 

28 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

I am in the exact same spot as you with no acceptances so far. This is just an extremely crazy cycle and a lot of us are in this together! 

As for MA programs I applied to Chicago MAPSS and I think their application is open until April. The placement record seems great and I've heard great things from its alumni. But I agree with icemanyeo above that this is however a big financial undertaking. There is still time anyways so I would suggest not panicking for now, take stock of your situation like financial circumstances and career prospects, and wait until most decisions come out before applying!

30 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

I'm right there with you! I've applied for 3 Masters programs: LSE, Columbia and Chicago. LSE and Chicago are still taking applications. 

If you know of any fellowships, then let me know! I'm also in the midst of a job search, primarily looking at think tanks and corporations like Booz Allen Hamilton, or other political consulting firms. Journalism might be a good bet too. 

You should look into these:

https://careers-cfr.icims.com/jobs/1770/assistant-editor%2c-foreign-affairs/job?mobile=false&width=870&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-180&jun1offset=-180

https://careers.foreignaffairs.com/job-details/354215/research-associate-latin-america/?JbeBatchId=413&kw=Latin+America&JobAlertId=703&utm_source=JobAlert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-01-22

29 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

I think this is an important thing to highlight this year. There is so much to the admissions process besides one's basic credentials or simple the ranking of the school. Lots of focus on fit this year - probably especially since there are so many cuts everywhere

43 minutes ago, foucaultscat said:

Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. First, congrats to all the recently admitted! So exciting!

I haven't seen many MA applicants posting in here (maybe you're lurking too), but I'm wondering if it's common for admissions notices to comes later in the spring for MA programs? Like everyone else I am obsessively checking my email and worried about the large applicant pool, but I have a feeling I won't get any news until March at the earliest so I think I'm torturing myself pointlessly.

Longtime lurker as well. So far rejected from three schools, but I was offered a spot in Boston College's MA program. 

PhD programs: Princeton, Cornell, Chicago, Boston College, Notre Dame, Austin, Houston

MA programs: Boston College

Accepted/Pending/Rejected

Random, but does anyone actually know the likelihood (%) of getting accepted into a PhD program? Ive tried to google this and most things come up around 4-10% change of getting admitted. Maybe this is fake lol. But I'm just wondering. 

Also - do we know what the *average* intake of PhD students (in the poli sci dept) will be this year at any given uni? I'm under the impression its like 8-12? 

Edited by polisci_gal

57 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

41 minutes ago, The Converse said:

What is your subfield?

I think @gradpumpkin is CP, and although it may not be exactly up your alley, I believe SIAS, Fletcher, and SIPA are also still accepting applications depending on the program you are applying to. 

No matter what happens, you should be proud to have even applied during such a tough year. I believe in you :)

6 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Random, but does anyone actually know the likelihood (%) of getting accepted into a PhD program? Ive tried to google this and most things come up around 4-10% change of getting admitted. Maybe this is fake lol. But I'm just wondering. 

Also - do we know what the *average* intake of PhD students (in the poli sci dept) will be this year at any given uni? I'm under the impression its like 8-12? 

You can google "School Name, PhD Admission Statistics" some schools publish these statistics. For example I know Northwestern https://tableau.northwestern.edu/t/TGS/views/OnlineData/OnlineData?%3Aembed=y&%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3AshowShareOptions=true&%3Adisplay_count=no&%3AshowVizHome=no accepts 11%. I think it varies between 5%-30%, and depends on various factors how long their waitlist etc.

Edited by Indeed

4 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Random, but does anyone actually know the likelihood % of getting accepted into a PhD program? Ive tried to google this and most things come up around 4-10% change of getting admitted. Maybe this is fake lol. But I'm just wondering. 

Also - do we know what the *average* intake of PhD students will be this year at any given uni? I'm under the impression its like 8-12? 

I'm assuming average intake will be closer to 8. Not sure about odds of applying to a PhD program -- so many places don't publish internal stats so it might be hard to even estimate.

1 minute ago, polisci_gal said:

It varies from place to place.  Sometimes they share the acceptance rate on the FAQ section, and sometimes you have to dig around in the broader graduate studies stats.  For example Northwestern's graduate school has the stats for all the different programs.  Their poli sci department on average accepts somewhere between 9 and 11% of applicants a year.  Meanwhile Santa Cruz straight up tells you on their poli sci department that they accept 15 out of 75 applicants, so around 20%.

But COVID has seen a huge spike in applications...  not to mention tight budgets.  So there's no telling this year, although it looks much more competitive than usual.  

Just now, StarkDark1 said:

It varies from place to place.  Sometimes they share the acceptance rate on the FAQ section, and sometimes you have to dig around in the broader graduate studies stats.  For example Northwestern's graduate school has the stats for all the different programs.  Their poli sci department on average accepts somewhere between 9 and 11% of applicants a year.  Meanwhile Santa Cruz straight up tells you on their poli sci department that they accept 15 out of 75 applicants, so around 20%.

But COVID has seen a huge spike in applications...  not to mention tight budgets.  So there's no telling this year, although it looks much more competitive than usual.  

Appreciate this insight. I think its been interesting too to see some faculty members disclosing how many (or an approximate %) of applicants they got on their twitter pages, just to demonstrate more broadly how competitive the COVID situation has made it this year. I remember way earlier in this thread people were posting screenshots of profs at like MIT or whatever saying "yeah we've had double the amount of applications this year" and other replies saying the same thing.... its tough out there ? 

I wonder how many schools will switch back to requiring the GRE after this cycle, given so many of them were able to admit people without relying on it upfront (my assumption for GRE-optional schools).

Edited by icemanyeo

3 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Good point for COVID. Some programs, originally accept 10~20%, only accept 5% or less this year.