2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

4 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I've been thinking about this. I would probably not have applied to a couple places if I knew they were taking say 8 people instead of their usual 15-20. (and unfortunately I submitted my applications as soon as I had them done once portals opened so I could focus on MA coursework) 

Yeah, not to mention the strange situation where these departments have now collected double or triple their typical fee revenue for reduced spots, with very few departments (can only think of Harvard among mine) disclosing as much in advance.

Just now, BrownSugar said:

Fully relating to you right now. Do whatever you need to do for yourself 

Thank you ❤️ guess I'm not coming back to the USA this year, oh well. 3 more to go!

Just now, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Congrats to the one admit and one waitlist from UChicago! I don't see anything in my inbox so I'm guessing that is a rejection there for me as well. Thought I'd get out of today with only SOME bad news. 

Today has been way too tough, and I'm literally frustrated at this point. 

So today marks the unofficial all-kill day for my 2021 cycle. ? Berkeley, Emory, Austin, and probably Vanderbilt since I did not get the interview email (IR field, btw). Welp, now I have more time to finish my Master’s thesis and... plan my future at least? 

Edit: question-is it uncommon to get an admission from your alma mater? I got my Bachelor’s from one of those schools and ?

Edited by retrotomato

Hey Everyone, I know that for many of you all today has just been horrible. But I want to let y'all know that going through the cycle again, while daunting right now, is not bad at all. Take what you've learned from the cycle this year, both the good and the bad, and use it to get a head start on next years applications. I know right now it looks hopeless and horrible, but please remember that you are all a bunch of amazingly smart and talented individuals who will get into academia, one way or another. Going through this cycle more than once (or twice or three times) is actually fairly common. So please don't let this get you all too down! 

ALSO, 2020 and corona has really messed up the whole admissions process. Honestly on a normal year I bet you all would've been swimming in acceptances right now. 

10 minutes ago, retrotomato said:

Edit: question-is it uncommon to get an admission from your alma mater? I got my Bachelor’s from one of those schools and ?

I think it is relatively uncommon, yes. Most departments tend to think accepting their own students leads to academic inbreeding and there's less of a chance to branch out and explore other subfields.

There are some exceptions, e.g. Harvard or Stanford might accept some of their own, but even then those undergrads tend to go to another T3 school instead of their alma mater.

However, you have a unique advantage here in that you can probably get detailed, actionable feedback -- go ask your professors what went wrong! I think it's likely the academic inbreeding stigma and nothing to do with your app.

Edited by timeseries

4 minutes ago, retrotomato said:Edit: question-is it uncommon to get an admission from your alma mater? I got my Bachelor’s from one of those schools and ?

Good luck with your thesis. 

Try, but don’t count on it or take it for granted. I got rejected by my alma mater despite being the second highest performer of my year etc. ?

I do not post much on this forum, but honestly I like how this communit is supportive. Keep it going, and i feel you all I am utterly exhausted from rejections and the anxiety/stress. 

But I need to keep a positive attitude and attempt to learn and apply next cycle if I do not get into a good place this year which seems to be what will happen, unless there is a miracle lol

Hi, everyone! I long time lurker. I've been rejected of almost every schools. Today, I received an email with information for the MPP program in UC San Diego.  I will give it a shot since I was rejected in the PHD program. Does anyone is going to apply to the MPP and what are your thoughts of the program?

The email states that I have fee waiver and I can use my SoP and LoRs for this application.

Congrats if you have good news today and my best wishes to all who are waiting (we are in the same boat) ?

Just now, soep13 said:

Hi, everyone! I long time lurker. I've been rejected of almost every schools. Today, I received an email with information for the MPP program in UC San Diego.  I will give it a shot since I was rejected in the PHD program. Does anyone is going to apply to the MPP and what are your thoughts of the program?

The email states that I have fee waiver and I can use my SoP and LoRs for this application.

Congrats if you have good news today and my best wishes to all who are waiting (we are in the same boat) ?

Do you automatically get considered for that, or can we just ask UCSD to apply for the MPP?