2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, NeedaMormon said:

Claiming Emory and Princeton rejections. Expected the Princeton rejection, but not the Emory rejection.

I'm counting my blessings though, because I have gotten three acceptances so far.

You are IR subfield as well if I remember correctly? I was the same with you thinking I was a pretty good fit for Emory but I guess it just wasn't meant to be! Glad you are already in at places, I'm hoping for good news soonish. 

To others accepted to Berkeley: I just noticed that my funding letter says that in addition to departmental funding, I was nominated for a "competitive campus-wide fellowship" given the department's enthusiasm about my application. Does anyone else's letter say that? Is this a standard thing or did they actually give me a special nomination? 

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances! And to those getting rejections or hearing nothing, don't lose hope! I was pretty crushed when I didn't receive the admissions email to Princeton last week and felt sure that I would be rejected everywhere else as well

Edited by Heterogeneous_Effects

Just now, Heterogeneous_Effects said:

To others accepted to Berkeley: I just noticed that my funding letter says that in addition to departmental funding, I was nominated for a given a "competitive campus-wide fellowship" given the department's enthusiasm about my application. Does anyone else's letter say that? Is this a standard thing or did they actually give me a special nomination? 

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances! And to those getting rejections or hearing nothing, don't lose hope! I was pretty crushed when I didn't receive the admissions email to Princeton last week and felt sure that I would be rejected everywhere else as well

that's special for you (and maybe a couple others). it's likely you'll get more money (or maybe less teaching) than everyone else if you win the campus wide fellowship. 

2 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

You are IR subfield as well if I remember correctly? I was the same with you thinking I was a pretty good fit for Emory but I guess it just wasn't meant to be! Glad you are already in at places, I'm hoping for good news soonish. 

I'm actually AP/Methods. I thought I would be a decent fit at Emory, but I assume my GRE scores made me less competitive there. In any case, you'll get some good news soon no doubt!

3 minutes ago, NeedaMormon said:

I'm actually AP/Methods. I thought I would be a decent fit at Emory, but I assume my GRE scores made me less competitive there. In any case, you'll get some good news soon no doubt!

Ah, gotcha. Well, it sucks for both of us that we didn't get Emory but here is to good news for both of us further down the road at other programs! 

4 minutes ago, totorophd said:

Hi everyone! 

I need your advice, please. 

What do you think about Rice University? 

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!  

I think its a great university and I am sorry I didn't apply there myself, particularly with the fee waivers they offered, the fit with faculty and this crazy year with admissions. I kinda discounted it because of its location in Texas but in retrospect, I should've applied. If you got an offer then consider yourself lucky, that is amazing!

4 minutes ago, rash_sulganni said:

Anyone claiming the UMich acceptance?

I think it was claimed earlier in the thread if you go back a page or two

Just now, TwitterNotGivenAPItoME said:

Hi all! 

I claim 

Princeton Rejection (Feb ?

Duke Waitlist (Feb 8, Interviewed in January), and

NYU Admit (Feb 5).

Congrats on the NYU admit! Great school!