2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

16 minutes ago, retrotomato said:

Edit: question-is it uncommon to get an admission from your alma mater? I got my Bachelor’s from one of those schools and ?

I actually have been wondering about this but in my case I got my Master's from NYU and applied there for a Ph.D., although in a different department... I thought that might be beneficial for my application but seeing what people replied to you just discouraged me ?

Also, has anyone here applied to CUNY?? I never see it mentioned in the comments and have no idea as to what to expect from that.

2 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Do you automatically get considered for that, or can we just ask UCSD to apply for the MPP? 

I received an email in the morning, they ask me if I want to apply with fee waiver and my SoP and LoRs of my PhD application.

2 minutes ago, iamlia said:

I actually have been wondering about this but in my case I got my Master's from NYU and applied there for a Ph.D., although in a different department... I thought that might be beneficial for my application but seeing what people replied to you just discouraged me ?

Ah, what I said really only applies to people in the same department as the one to which they're applying. And people still do get admitted to their home departments and choose to attend; I just think it's generally discouraged. 

3 minutes ago, soep13 said:

I received an email in the morning, they ask me if I want to apply with fee waiver and my SoP and LoRs of my PhD application.

Yeah, UCSD asked me to do this too but for their MIA program. It was last month though, but I didn’t apply to the political science PhD. It was the GPS one

To those who have offers from BU, is anyone going to decline their offer if you also have offer from other higher ranked program. Would greatly appreciate your response because it would give hope for those who are on the waitlist for BU. 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, 2021POLISCIPHD said:

For those asking, I can claim an admit from BU. IR

I posted on the results page last week

Are you going to accept the offer or you also have offer from another higher ranked program? Would appreciate your response! 

2 minutes ago, Endor0790 said:

So if I haven't heard back from Duke and Berkeley is it safe to assume I got rejected?

Same for Chicago, NYU, and Michigan? Hasn't been a great few days for me lol

Edited by gbheron

Just now, gbheron said:

Same for Chicago, NYU, Berkeley, Michigan? Hasn't been a great few days for me lol

1 minute ago, Endor0790 said:

So if I haven't heard back from Duke and Berkeley is it safe to assume I got rejected?

I would personally just assume so unless otherwise noted.

5 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Just one confirmed UChicago admit on the forums, huh? Guessing they really cut back on the cohort this year too. 

Yeah, just one confirmed UChicago admit. Does anyone claim UChicago acceptance in IR subfield? I have seen an IR subfield waitlisted but no acceptance so far. The ones that were claimed here are CP/AP. 

35 minutes ago, soep13 said:

Hi, everyone! I long time lurker. I've been rejected of almost every schools. Today, I received an email with information for the MPP program in UC San Diego.  I will give it a shot since I was rejected in the PHD program. Does anyone is going to apply to the MPP and what are your thoughts of the program?

The email states that I have fee waiver and I can use my SoP and LoRs for this application.

Congrats if you have good news today and my best wishes to all who are waiting (we are in the same boat) ?

I don't know about UCSD's MPP, but I got my MPP from Georgetown and it was great. It is a HIGHLY marketable degree.

Cornell just told me they are reducing the number of the incoming cohort by "at least 50%" (they said they usually send out at least 26 offers). They also said they plan to "go slow and use a waitlist." Assuming the number of applicants soared from around 300 to, say, 400 or 500 thanks to the GRE waiver, I guess the ratio for Cornell is as terribly horrible as Harvard or Georgetown, which we have only around 1-2% chance (from, say, 300-400 applications) of getting the offer... 

For some of us who are waiting for these places, I am more than confident that it is absolutely not our fault -- as least not entirely -- that we don't get in. It is indeed too hyper-competitive. And I'm sure this is also the cases for the schools that have already released results.    

I am genuinely hoping that everyone on here get's an offer this year, but if any of you don't just know you are not alone. A lot of us on here have been through more than one cycle. I applied for only 5 programs (all top ten) back in 2017, and while I knew it was a risk I thought I had a baller CV, great score, and a master's from a top school - so I was genuinely crushed when I didn't get in anywhere. But I took the opportunity to work on my academic/researcher creds and to REALLY think about what I wanted out of a PhD. This time around I focused on fit above rankings and had a much clearer vision of my research questions and goals. I don't know if I'll get into my top choices this year, but I have succeeded in getting more than one offer! So I just want to stay, hang in there. Don't lose hope. I hope it works out for everyone this cycle, but if it doesn't, know a lot of us have been through it before and you can come out the other side a better academic and more well-rounded candidate. Sending feels to you all!

31 minutes ago, timeseries said:

Ah, what I said really only applies to people in the same department as the one to which they're applying. And people still do get admitted to their home departments and choose to attend; I just think it's generally discouraged. 

Thanks! I know nothing is set in stone, but at this point not having heard yet from any of the schools I applied to anything I read just makes me fear the worst. 

Thanks and good luck with your applications!

4 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Thank you all for sharing about Masters programs! Were any of y'all able to get funding for these programs? I am highly considering them, but really can't make it work unless it is fully funded (ideally even with a stipend, if that's even possible). 

I feel like a stipend for a master's is highly unlikely, but maybe someone else managed that? You can probably find a paying internship, though, once you are in the program (depending on your location, of course). I did manage to get funding to cover almost my entire MPP tuition at Georgetown, but had to take out student loans for most of my living expenses. They didn't offer me any funding at first, but I had another offer so I went back and negotiated. The funding for master's programs is DEFINITELY negotiable, so maybe apply to more than one place so you can then have a stronger negotiation position. That's my two cents! Don't be afraid to ask, and don't be afraid to ask for more! 

8 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Thank you all for sharing about Masters programs! Were any of y'all able to get funding for these programs? I am highly considering them, but really can't make it work unless it is fully funded (ideally even with a stipend, if that's even possible). 

It depends on the program. The Master Program I'm in at Cornell ended up basically being fully funded. I got a scholarship for my first semester and then had either TA or RA positions that included a tuition waiver and stipend each semester. I think that is the exception and not the rule for Master's though, the program info should tell you if you're eligible for TA or RA positions.  

8 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

If you are interested in Public Policy/Public Administration, there is the University of Connecticut's Department of Public Policy.  They used to have fully GA positions and embedded GAs with local and state government organizations.  The deadline appears to be February 15th, but you are likely competitive for their programs.