2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Long time observer, first time poster here.

I Have a question for the sincere and good people of thegradcafe. Every input is much appreciated.

I am an int'l student on a really, really tight budget. I previously applied to master's programs and received acceptances with good funding (Heller, MIIS, LSE). But I still had to pay a small portion of the tuition 1/4 - 1/5 and for living expenses. In my case, taking out a significant loan would lead me to a disastrous ending if I could not find a place on the already saturated US job market. I would need to return to my home country and due to the parity, it would take me a lifetime to pay the loan even if I survived on very little. Doing a master's at my home country proved to be unfeasible as well because all decent universities demand attendance which would be an issue since I work full time and cannot/could not leave my job So I applied only to five schools. From two of them, I already received rejections. (Turns out my topic is studied by comm and English departments more often than it is studied within polsci. This could be used to my advantage since I have a BA in English but I really really want to do political science.Long story short, alignment issues.)

Anyways, this was to provide some context and to shield myself from the classical "What a whiner, duh." reaction.

Main story, I applied to Vandy but could not pay the fee at the time. Later, I e-mailed the Graduate School to say that I was definitely going to pay the fee and asked them not to penalize my application based on that. They directed me to the department. Same thing, no answer. Meanwhile, the additional documents I submitted a while ago has not been processed meaning that they probably saw that the fee was missing and did not look into the direction of my app. again. Only now I am somewhat capable of paying the fee but everyone here seems so sure that Vandy contacted all the students it intends to admit. The question is, should I still submit the fee? Would they look into my app then? But wouldn't it be joining the race at the finish line? I founnd two lower ranked schools with Feb. 15 deadlines. Should I give them a shot instead or would I be setting myself on a track to hell by applying to these schools? This is my first and last PhD cycle. I am financially, physically, and psychologically exhausted from the previous master's cycles. My family and my professors are tired. I will not even be able to find recommenders. There are financially more capable, better prepared people out there who will ask for letters and why bother with me instead of helping them, right? At least they have reasonable shots at good places.

This is so long, and for that, I profusely apologize. 

What should I do now? Any suggestions?

P.S. When I started on the process, fee waiver deadlines have already passed. I could not start earlier because I was tackling a health problem and in fact I am three days out of surgery.

Hi guys - congrats everyone to have already received a place. I am a UK MSc Student at Durham University, and as you guys seem much more versed with US PhD applications I was wondering if I could ask you some questions?

- I am looking at applying to a few US Masters degrees incase I get rejected from all my choices (Yale, Princeton (rejected), Chicago, Berkeley, Cornell, Georgetown, MIT). Are there any rules about which ones to apply to? If they are terminal does that mean I can still apply to a PhD programme afterwards?

- What is the funding like for these US masters? 

- Will it be looked at a weakness when/if I reply next cycle?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

16 minutes ago, Senochka said:

I Have a question for the sincere and good people of thegradcafe. Every input is much appreciated.

I am an int'l student on a really, really tight budget. I previously applied to master's programs and received acceptances with good funding (Heller, MIIS, LSE). But I still had to pay a small portion of the tuition 1/4 - 1/5 and for living expenses. In my case, taking out a significant loan would lead me to a disastrous ending if I could not find a place on the already saturated US job market. I would need to return to my home country and due to the parity, it would take me a lifetime to pay the loan even if I survived on very little. Doing a master's at my home country proved to be unfeasible as well because all decent universities demand attendance which would be an issue since I work full time and cannot/could not leave my job So I applied only to five schools. From two of them, I already received rejections. (Turns out my topic is studied by comm and English departments more often than it is studied within polsci. This could be used to my advantage since I have a BA in English but I really really want to do political science.Long story short, alignment issues.)

Anyways, this was to provide some context and to shield myself from the classical "What a whiner, duh." reaction.

Main story, I applied to Vandy but could not pay the fee at the time. Later, I e-mailed the Graduate School to say that I was definitely going to pay the fee and asked them not to penalize my application based on that. They directed me to the department. Same thing, no answer. Meanwhile, the additional documents I submitted a while ago has not been processed meaning that they probably saw that the fee was missing and did not look into the direction of my app. again. Only now I am somewhat capable of paying the fee but everyone here seems so sure that Vandy contacted all the students it intends to admit. The question is, should I still submit the fee? Would they look into my app then? But wouldn't it be joining the race at the finish line? I founnd two lower ranked schools with Feb. 15 deadlines. Should I give them a shot instead or would I be setting myself on a track to hell by applying to these schools? This is my first and last PhD cycle. I am financially, physically, and psychologically exhausted from the previous master's cycles. My family and my professors are tired. I will not even be able to find recommenders. There are financially more capable, better prepared people out there who will ask for letters and why bother with me instead of helping them, right? At least they have reasonable shots at good places.

P.S. When I started on the process, fee waiver deadlines have already passed. I could not start earlier because I was tackling a health problem and in fact I am three days out of surgery.

Hi, I am sorry to hear that and hope you will receive good news. As for the Vandy, I have contacted the department to applied for a fee waiver. But first I needed to send my application documents so I applied without paying the fee. They told me they will look into my fee waiver after that. I completely forgot about the fee waiver and application fee but I was invited for an interview and my interviewer told me that they have granted me the application waiver only during the interview. I feel like they have already finalized their short-list but I do not know. That was my experience and hope it helps you.

Edited by Indeed

16 minutes ago, Senochka said:

Hi, my two cents: if it seems like your research interests would make you a better fit in English departments, and if your background is in English, it really seems like you would be better off applying to English departments. You say that you want to do polisci, but that seems to contradict your claim that you are struggling to find polisci departments where you would be a good fit... in short, fit matters more than anything else!

Having said that, have your recommenders already told you that they would not write you more letters if you were to reapply next cycle? It is very common for students to have to reapply (this year in particular), so don't count yourself out just because you fear you might annoy some referees - writing letters is part of their job after all, and I can assure you that they also asked professors to recommend them for graduate programs or jobs, and they probably got rejected from most of them!

I can totally understand your frustration, but rejection is the bread and butter of academia. I would recommend trying again next cycle, when hopefully your health issues are resolved, you can apply for fee waivers in time, and competition returns to normal levels. And definitely consider applying to departments other than polisci if that's where you would be the best fit!

9 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

I'm really glad to have met such an amazing community, and as the decisions cycle ends, I hope to stay in contact with many of you!

I second this. As soon as the whole cycle is over and I've committed to somewhere, I will definitely disclose my stats and connect with many of you outside of grad cafe!! The solidarity in this community has truly kept me going!!

39 minutes ago, Senochka said:

Hey, first off - sorry that this whole process has been really hard on you! And I hope your surgery went well and you have a fast recovery.

I think it seems like a good idea to apply to those 2 programs with Feb 15 deadlines if you think that they are potentially a good fit for your research and if you do really mean that this is your first and last PhD cycle. Might as well shoot your shot if this is the only time you're going to apply!

I didn't apply to Vanderbilt but I think that by the sounds of it on this forum, they have selected quite a few people to interview and have really begun to proceed with their admissions process. That being said, I personally wouldn't pay the fee especially if you are trying to be strategic with your funds. I would probably allocate your funds to the other programs that are still open. But, you could definitely contact Vanderbilts admissions chair to see and get that clarity if you need it. 

My last piece of advice - I would recommend checking out some masters programs in Canada if you are open to studying there. Sometimes the schools will offer international students funding or a scholarship for their MA and can transition you into a PhD route  should that be something you wish to do.

I wish you all the best and hope for a successful cycle for you. 

@IndeedThanks for the quickest reply in the world. :) The problem seems to be more about me than the fee, then. Now I will settle into my chair and wait for my rejection I guess.

@smug-faceHi, namely, I would like to study conspiracy theories and modern mythmaking. Looking at the Jan. 6 insurrection, at the Hill, theyse theoriesdo not seem  wholly detached from the discussions both within the poli. sci. academia and the civic sphere. I believe English scholars are interested in the topic because these theories are narratives. But I am more interested in the practical implications or consequences of the tendency to create and engage with these theories There is Eric Oliver at UChicago, but I saw no chance, Cynthia Wang  is more on the organizational behavior and management Elise Wang is in English at Duke, Alice Warvşcj şs comm faculty at UNC Chapel Hill. Basically, the experts are all over the place. You are so right about recommenders, but I don't think a reluctantly written letter would do much good. 

Thank you both for your insight. 

13 hours ago, irinmn said:

+1. My brother has an MPP. If you get it from a good department in the US, it's worth a lot. Most top-tier American MPP's are 2-year research degrees, they are not professional "terminal" degrees. An MPP is like a research based master's degree but worth so much more because the professional world (particularly civil service, consulting and corporations) view MPP's significantly more favorably than an MA/MS degree. When everything else is equal, MPP's are actually becoming more valuable than MBA's. 

In your case @soep13 you should seriously consider this. UCSD is excellent both academically and in terms of quality of life (hello La Jolla). Getting an MPP there will allow you to network and make contacts if you want to try again for the PhD, and an MPP specifically will gear you towards pure public policy PhD's as well as polisci/government PhD's. I try to tell everyone to get an MPP over an MS in Political Science because at least with an MPP you can get a job easily if you don't stay in academia. 

So much of what you write in your first paragraph is wrong and misleading.

1. MPPs are not supposed to be research based, but practical application based. They can definitely have a major research component.

2. No way in hell are MPPs becoming more valuable than MBAs. 

13 hours ago, afjackie said:

I don't know about UCSD's MPP, but I got my MPP from Georgetown and it was great. It is a HIGHLY marketable degree.

Georgetown's MPP is good if you want to avoid the student body and do stuff in DC + focus on quant. if you care about the Student experience + learning meaningful professional skills, there are so many better options. I wouldn't hire 95% of the people I went to school with. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

27 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

So much of what you write in your first paragraph is wrong and misleading.

1. MPPs are not supposed to be research based, but practical application based. They can definitely have a major research component.

2. No way in hell are MPPs becoming more valuable than MBAs. 

1. You're correct. I'm in an MPP program and have to go above and beyond to get research experience. The program is meant to prepare you to be a policy analyst, consultant, or civil servant. I think it's a great degree if you're hoping to get a good public sector-y job.

2. Hey now!

@polisci_galThank you so much for the input. I have nothing against studying in Canada. I stuck to higher middle to middle range US universities just because I am already familiar with the US HE system. I'd really rather apply to Canadian master's programs than to apply to those schools with later deadlines. 

Edited by Senochka

Hey guys,

So I got waitlisted at my top choice and one of my recommenders, a veteran prof. at a competitive department, asked if I had reached out to the program yet. He then said it shouldn't hurt to email the DGS, mention how excited I am about the possibility of attending and ask when final decisions will be made. I'm a little worried about doing this because I don't want to seem like I'm putting pressure on them, and, to complicate matters, the DGS is also the prof. I would want to work with in the first place. Would this be too awkward? Have any of the wailisted people here reached out to their respective departments?

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, tedneko said:

Hey guys,

So I got waitlisted at my top choice and one of my recommenders, a veteran prof. at a competitive department, asked if I had reached out to the program yet. He then said it shouldn't hurt to email the DGS, mention how excited I am about the possibility of attending and ask when final decisions will be made. I'm a little worried about doing this because I don't want to seem like I'm putting pressure on them, and, to complicate matters, the DGS is also the prof. I would want to work with in the first place. Would this be too awkward? Have any of the wailisted people here reached out to their respective departments?

Thanks in advance!

I got waitlisted at Princeton, and I'm scheduled to meet the director of my program for a brief chat. I think you should definitely schedule a meeting with the DGS (assuming they don't reach out to you first) -- the probability you'll be offered a place is not zero, and the fact that you weren't rejected indicates that the department thought you were a worthy applicant! Definitely listen to your recommender on this!

6 minutes ago, tedneko said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on getting waitlisted at your top choice!

I haven't been waitlisted anywhere but I did some research online in preparation for the possibility. The consensus seems to be that expressing enthusiasm and interest and seeking to connect with faculty you might be working with is a good strategy from trying to get off the list. For what its worth, I have multiple friends in top programs who pursued this approach and were successful . I actually think it falls well that the DGS would be your potential advisor as it makes it less awkward trying to connect with faculty as a waitlisted student.

Also, think of it this way: you could be taken off the waitlist at almost the last minute, and if you haven't connected with profs by then, how will you evaluate the option?

Just my two cents.

1 minute ago, smug-face said:

I got waitlisted at Princeton, and I'm scheduled to meet the director of my program for a brief chat. I think you should definitely schedule a meeting with the DGS (assuming they don't reach out to you first) -- the probability you'll be offered a place is not zero, and the fact that you weren't rejected indicates that the department thought you were a worthy applicant! Definitely listen to your recommender on this!

Hi. Did you reach out to them or did they reach out to you?

7 minutes ago, tedneko said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

It absolutely would NOT hurt to reach out if you're waitlisted. Your prof is right. I've been waitlisted in past cycles and in my experience, the department is just as excited about you joining as they are about the people who they admitted outright. The fact is that there are only a few funded positions and many more qualified applicants. The decisions between admits and waitlists can be extremely arbitrary and subjective. So don't feel like you are putting pressure on them or complicating things. 

24 minutes ago, tedneko said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

Hey!  I think it's okay to contact them and signal your enthusiasm! I am also waitlisted for funding and I even asked if it was possible to learn where I am in the list! Maybe don't do that last part (lol) but definitely contact them.

Edited by HolyGinger

Also I want to ask a general question to people who are waitlisted: are you all waitlisted for funding, or waitlisted for admission (if such thing exists)? Because if it's the first case then I'll still have a bit of hope left from my other applications :D

Edited by HolyGinger

2 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

Also I want to ask a general question to people who are waitlisted: are you all waitlisted for funding, or waitlisted for admission (if such thing exists)? Because if it's the first case then I'll still have a bit of hope left from my other applications :D

I'm not sure. I really hope it's for both, as I have no way of attending without funding.

Felt pretty bad yesterday but going to seminar today and engaging in some great academic discussion helped me feel much better. For the people who applied to Cornell, I hope all of you are accepted because it's such a great department and school in general here.