2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, baby__yoda said:

Wait whats the issue with Michigan? Myself and another claimed admits to UMich (I’m AP and they were Political theory I think). Not sure about Berkeley and MIT, I didnt apply there so I havent followed that closely. 

But it seems to me that admissions are being released in extremely weird patterns. UCSD released rejections before admissions, waitlists for Duke came out before admissions and Princeton released their results later than usual. I would urge people to take deep breaths, wait it out, and ignore the results page because its clearly not an accurate way to gauge whether admissions have been released nor if your chances of being admitted have diminished. 

+1 

1 minute ago, baby__yoda said:

Wait whats the issue with Michigan? Myself and another claimed admits to UMich (I’m AP and they were Political theory I think). Not sure about Berkeley and MIT, I didnt apply there so I havent followed that closely. 

But it seems to me that admissions are being released in extremely weird patterns. UCSD released rejections before admissions, waitlists for Duke came out before admissions and Princeton released their results later than usual. I would urge people to take deep breaths, wait it out, and ignore the results page because its clearly not an accurate way to gauge whether admissions have been released nor if your chances of being admitted have diminished. 

Still haven't heard any waitlists from Michigan. Have anyone from CP claimed a Michigan admit? Maybe they really cut their cohort short this year or I'm naively holding out hope to return to the midwest.

Just now, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Still haven't heard any waitlists from Michigan. Have anyone from CP claimed a Michigan admit? 

Also still waiting on Michigan CP. As far as I've seen, there haven't been any CP acceptances for Michigan or CP interviews for Vanderbilt (please correct me on this one if I'm wrong), so I'm holding out hope there as well. 

5 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Also still waiting on Michigan CP. As far as I've seen, there haven't been any CP acceptances for Michigan or CP interviews for Vanderbilt (please correct me on this one if I'm wrong), so I'm holding out hope there as well. 

For Vanderbilt (I was interviewed for IR), my impression is that each subfield has its own schedule so if there aren't any interviews for CP, maybe they are still preparing the shortlist. My interviewer also said that they expect to release the decisions this week or next week latest after each subfield finalizes its decision. 

23 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Would it be a bad move to email one of my interviewers a week after the interview?  Still haven't heard back, and I'm curious.  

Personally I think it depends. During my interview they said their reply would be in a week or two before they would get back to me. I personally would wait a week and a half to two weeks since they are busy and have to find time to meet again. 

Honestly, I’m just waiting for a couple more decisions so that this can be officially over (I know I won’t choose any EU option over the US).  Depending on how the rest of US decisions go, I already know where I’d like to confirm my spot. So it’s really frustrating just waiting and waiting, and I’m sure a lot of you feel this way. I just want to see the end in sight. 

On the subject of waiting for results, my Duke interview was over 3 weeks ago by now and they only released decisions on Monday (and I got no update so I assume a rejection). I am so bad with refreshing my email every 5 minutes lol

fingers crossed Stanford comes in soon! 

7 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

So much of what you write in your first paragraph is wrong and misleading.

1. MPPs are not supposed to be research based, but practical application based. They can definitely have a major research component.

2. No way in hell are MPPs becoming more valuable than MBAs. 

1. My brother went to the Goldman school at UC Berkeley for his MPP and it was a 2-year research based degree that prepared him for policy PhD's. I'm sorry if I used a brush that was too broad with regards to the MPP but I noted that with the top schools, it's research based. I was basing that on Cal. This doesn't make what I said wrong.

2. So much of what you say in #2 is subjective, wrong and misleading. MBA's aren't exactly in high demand right now. From what I've seen in the private sector, MPP's are. 

8 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

My last piece of advice - I would recommend checking out some masters programs in Canada if you are open to studying there. Sometimes the schools will offer international students funding or a scholarship for their MA and can transition you into a PhD route  should that be something you wish to do.

Agree it's good to diversify and include Canadian schools but I'd caution against getting your hopes up about masters-level funding at the top 3 Canadian schools if you are not a Canadian citizen/permanent resident. UofT (Univ of Toronto), where I'm a PhD student, doesn't really fund masters-level students at all in the polisci department and the only funding available is provincial/federal and for residents only. The PhD funding is excellent here, but the master's funding is nonexistent. With that said, tuition costs are significantly lower in Canada versus the USA so if funding isn't vital, it's much more affordable here. And, other Canadian schools outside of the top three (UToronto, UBC, McGill) definitely do fund masters students more.

I'm wondering if there's any way to predict when we're gonna get formal rejections from schools? Specifically wondering about Berkeley, UChicago and NYU, since those schools all released acceptances but have yet to release rejections even though in the past they had been released in the same week at least. any insights?

4 minutes ago, irinmn said:

1. My brother went to the Goldman school at UC Berkeley for his MPP and it was a 2-year research based degree that prepared him for policy PhD's. I'm sorry if I used a brush that was too broad with regards to the MPP but I noted that with the top schools, it's research based. I was basing that on Cal. This doesn't make what I said wrong.

2. So much of what you say in #2 is subjective, wrong and misleading. MBA's aren't exactly in high demand right now. From what I've seen in the private sector, MPP's are. 

Everyone calm down, it's not a big deal. Seriously. Cal/GSPP is definitely more of a research MPP, but many others are not. It isn't enough of one or the other to really say "all MPP's are research based" or "all MPP's are professional/terminal degrees". Here in Canada, MPP's tend to be more professional based but we do have research-based MPP's too (see "The MPP is a research based degree" under courses at: https://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/programs/graduate-programs/master-of-public-policy.php). It really goes both ways. No need to argue so much about it. And personally, I'd rather have an MPP in the current economy, but if you'd asked me a year ago, I'd rather have had an MBA. If it's from a good school, MPP's are more marketable in recessions when there's a surplus of MBA's, and MBA's are more marketable when the economy is good. Don't believe me? There's literally tonnes on this right now...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/09/elon-musk-on-the-problem-with-corporate-america-too-many-mbas-.html

https://www.ft.com/content/f2d91aca-8933-11ea-9dcb-fe6871f4145a

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/there-are-officially-too-many-mbas/266880/

Just now, cbsag123 said:

I'm wondering if there's any way to predict when we're gonna get formal rejections from schools? Specifically wondering about Berkeley, UChicago and NYU, since those schools all released acceptances but have yet to release rejections even though in the past they had been released in the same week at least. any insights?

Based on past years' data, Uchicago rejections come some time later. Berkeley rejections should come a couple of days after acceptances (I'd say end of this week)

5 minutes ago, irinmn said:

1. Yes, MPP can be a stepping stone to PhD, but that is not what the program at most schools (including top schools) have it designed for. This includes UC Berkeley Cal - Goldman School. It is rather rare each class of MPP's to follow up with a PhD - no more than 5% of each class. My class was about 2%. 

2. True, I should have given more stats, but I was hoping that it is so plainly obvious how not valuable MPPs are compared to MBAs, others would chime in and help me. So boiling it down too basics - an MBA at a top 15 program (using UVA Darden as an examples can rake in on average 135K + sign in bonus after graduation. 

https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/career-support/employment-report

Most MPP schools don't even publish earnings, because last time a top one did (Harvard HKS about 5 years ago), it $65K after graduation. Even if you bake in inflation, you aren't matching 135K. 

You might see one thing, but the market says so differently.

It is true that some mid-level to bottom level MBAs aren't worth much, but the same is true for corresponding level MPPs.

Oh and yes, I used to do education outcomes research + I have 3 degrees on this stuff - so I'm not pulling smoke. 

3 minutes ago, Paulcg87 said:

Everyone calm down, it's not a big deal. Seriously. Cal/GSPP is definitely more of a research MPP, but many others are not. It isn't enough of one or the other to really say "all MPP's are research based" or "all MPP's are professional/terminal degrees". Here in Canada, MPP's tend to be more professional based but we do have research-based MPP's too (see "The MPP is a research based degree" under courses at: https://www.schoolofpublicpolicy.sk.ca/programs/graduate-programs/master-of-public-policy.php). It really goes both ways. No need to argue so much about it. And personally, I'd rather have an MPP in the current economy, but if you'd asked me a year ago, I'd rather have had an MBA. If it's from a good school, MPP's are more marketable in recessions when there's a surplus of MBA's, and MBA's are more marketable when the economy is good. Don't believe me? There's literally tonnes on this right now...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/09/elon-musk-on-the-problem-with-corporate-america-too-many-mbas-.html

https://www.ft.com/content/f2d91aca-8933-11ea-9dcb-fe6871f4145a

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/there-are-officially-too-many-mbas/266880/

Yeah I'm thinking I'll stick with the MPP being more marketable right now bit. Say whatever you want. If you come from an ivy or somewhere like Michigan or Berkeley, in this economy and with the surplus of MBA's, I'd still rather have an MPP. As far as the research bit, I guess some are, some are not. Seems pretty clear that some are explicitly calling themselves research degrees. This entire discussion has gone way beyond what I intended, which was to say that an MPP from UCSD is a great option to have and I'd rather be doing that than going through an MBA, law school or some other kind of terminal professional degree. 

2 hours ago, The Converse said:

Standing offer.  If anyone wants to reach out Michigan, Berkeley, or MIT that did not apply there, I would be willing to call admissions for a school that I didn't apply to.  We are getting trolled hard, so I would be game to stop the insanity.

I've been posting here for weeks and claimed Michigan, same as other users. I've claimed multiple rejections too (Princeton, Berkeley, UCSD, NYU). There is no issue, as far as I am aware.

6 minutes ago, plus said:

I've been posting here for weeks and claimed Michigan, same as other users. I've claimed multiple rejections too (Princeton, Berkeley, UCSD, NYU). There is no issue, as far as I am aware.

Wait, has Berkeley sent you a rejection?

Got a personalized congrats email from my POI in Berkeley after acceptance from the department yesterday. My POI said the applicant pool is twice the size of that in normal years.

So just wanna say IT IS a competitive year, but don't lose hope or count yourself down if you haven't heard anything positive until now. I'm not sure about Berkeley's timeline to release all decisions, maybe miracles will happen eventually - who knows!