2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Also rejected, and this is my first. Still, while waiting, I reevaluated my understanding of my own fitness for Berkeley and Berkeley’sfitness for me, especially since I am in the middle of an unexpected shift of interests and they do not align well with the faculty, so I accepted the rejection - a bad pun intended - with grace. Sending good vibes to everyone who also got the “no” news! 

6 hours ago, nivy25 said:

Some people are cut out for the competitive and super busy top tier environment, but some prefer a better quality of life in terms of living and working in cooperative environment. I personally do know now that if I do apply next year, I’m not going to make the mistake of skipping USC, and I’m also going to consider lesser ranked schools because my happiness matters more. 

I would suggest choosing a school based on your personal goals and ambitions. 

Thank you for throwing in your two cents. The point you made about people who prefer a better quality of life certainly applies to me, and whenever I mention fit I am including the environment and atmosphere into it as I see it as something all-encompassing. It seems others don’t for whatever reason. And, for whatever reason, I haven’t really been drawn to Chicago. For instance if the conversation was Cornell v USC, I’d have a tougher time even though Chicago is better ranked. I almost didn’t apply to Chicago actually but I got the fee waiver for all the schools so I decided to anyway. I think, though, we all agree the decision, like any other, depends on my goals, which as I mentioned in another post aren’t set (e.g. don’t plan to live in the US etc.) so I think that is also what is making me lean more towards USC in this moment. I feel no intrinsic pressure to go there just because it’s more recognized or has a stronger reputation. 

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me :) 

Wishing you luck with the rest of your decisions!! 

Edited by BrownSugar

7 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

I definitely get how you feel. When I was looking for schools to apply, my advisors basically suggested two pools: ultra-competitive environments where you have at least a general fit and probably better chances of an R1 job; and a 2nd pool of more relaxed environments where you'll be competitive for teaching colleges but probably not R1. As an applicant, you can mix and match or go all in on one side or another, it's up to you. 5-7 years is a long time and you need to be happy/healthy both physically and mentally.

I got similar advice - couple of my advisors said t10 or t20 is definitely important to an extent, but if you go to a mid-lower ranked place that has really well known faculty,  has good methods training, you get some publications in, and you really excel - then you can still be a competitive applicant on the job market.

Was also told that getting into any program during this time would be a huge accomplishment. 

Hi all--just a friendly reminder that this is a public site, frequently read by current graduate students and faculty. Admitted cohorts, even in regular years, are small, and people's identities are obvious. Please remember that if you're coming on here talking about how disinterested you are in a program that admitted you, you may have saved yourself the trouble of being enthusiastically recruited by that program!

I'd also recommend everyone wait to form final impressions about departmental culture and placement records until speaking to current graduate students. A former undergraduate or fellow applicant cannot tell you what it's like to work with a specific advisor, what the pressure to teach or publish looks like, or how it is to work under a specific funding model. There are plenty of informal, off-the-record ways to get genuine impressions of a program from current graduate students. I'd encourage you to take advantage of those. 

6 minutes ago, NeedaMormon said:

It looks like an individual email from the DGS. Oh my goodness I am shaking and I should be focusing on the class I'm in right now.

congrats!! happy for you!

I can confirm a UCLA admission from late last night! Also a Vanderbilt interview that I had yesterday (which was very informal and lead to a nice conversation). The silence from Michigan on my part is ominous, and I assume a rejection at this point. 

On that note, I wanted to let you know that I have started to let certain schools (I don't feel comfortable saying which) know that I will no longer be considering them - which has been more difficult of a process than I thought. Hopefully, though, this means some of you great scholars will be getting off the waitlist with enough time to make your own informed decisions. 

8 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

guess WashU is yet another school I'm not in then -- this is getting very disheartening. Much love to all of you out there who are in a similar position as I am, not having gotten a single piece of good news yet this cycle.

Same here. That's four I've struck out on with one to go, and I am not too confident the last one will go my way. Oh well. Better luck next year I guess.

12 minutes ago, NeedaMormon said:

To the others accepted to WUSTL( @_nutella_@Barry B. Benson@aae322 ), the funding info should be sent soon in the formal offer letter.

You’ve been knocking em out of the park, friend! Congrats on another acceptance!