2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

17 minutes ago, SanC said:

On a similar note, I still haven't received a formal rejection from UT Austin. Wonder if it's because I'm an international applicant and I refused to send in my TOEFL scores.. ?

I am being just curious: why? (Regarding your TOEFL acores)

2 minutes ago, Uberfloweret said:

I am being just curious: why? (Regarding your TOEFL acores)

Because I really think TOEFL is racist and don't think it's fair of universities to ask intl applicants to pay to prove their competency in English when it's been my first language throughout school and college, having done my Masters from Singapore, and also having online think tank level publications. 

7 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Thanks guys, unfortunately, I will assume a rejection from Northwestern then.

7 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Same.

There are better things to come! I had before this point received only rejections and was prepared to pay an exorbitant tuition to attend a MA program. Sending all the good vibes :)

5 minutes ago, SanC said:

Because I really think TOEFL is racist and don't think it's fair of universities to ask intl applicants to pay to prove their competency in English when it's been my first language throughout school and college, having done my Masters from Singapore, and also having online think tank level publications. 

Yeah.  My partner started a PhD in English literature recently, and she had to take TOEFL to prove competency in English, just because she is an international student.  ?

For all Northwestern folk:

Firstly, congrats to everyone who got accepted. They received around 600 applications this year and are accepting around 2-3% of them. I just called the Political Science department to get an update.

Secondly, I don't know if there is a lot of hope, but they did say that decisions are sent out on a rolling basis and they're hoping to wrap up the process within the next 3 days or so. I don't know if any more acceptances are coming, but we should hopefully officially know soon if we are rejected or not.

If we do count 2% of 600, that is 12 acceptances. We have seen around 5-6 on here so far, and maybe there's a few others who don't report it on gradcafe. There might be a slim chance that maybe a handful of acceptances come later (I hope). 

1 hour ago, spotted said:

ok i def misremembered, just looked back through the thread and i was wrong about it being DGS, yall think theyre doing it individually/slowly over this week then? struggling to cope with the idea of basically 5 rejections in one week

I just contacted NW. They said they have to input letters to the system of 500-600 ish applicants for this year. We should have decisions by Friday. Six people have already claimed acceptance on the forums, so honestly, it seems they likely entered acceptance first and for those of us who haven't heard by now, it is more likely a rejection.

55 minutes ago, SanC said:

Most universities waive TOEFL if you have a bachelors or masters in English, don't they? That was the case for me, I didn't send TOEFL to any schools as far as I remember. 

2 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

I am still waiting! There are 3 posts on the results page but I don't remember anyone claiming admit here on the forum.

Same here! Applied before the priority deadline on 1 st December and still waiting. Well, after seeing those 3 posts I'm a bit afraid.

23 hours ago, BrownSugar said:

Actually, I prefer USC over Chicago (controversial, I’m sure haha, but it’s for a few reasons). Depending on the remaining ones, I think I’ll actually be confirming USC in the end.

I do hope one of you on the forum here can get my place at Chicago :) 

Hey! I've been stalking this thread for awhile! I also applied to USC. I'm sure you have already explained this, but how did you find out about your acceptance? 

Just now, soyergabriel said:

Same here! Applied before the priority deadline on 1 st December and still waiting. Well, after seeing those 3 posts I'm a bit afraid.

One of them claims to be a fast-track phd admit, I have no idea what that is but maybe they receive results earlier? Well my portal still says awaiting decision so fingers crossed! I was unable to apply before the priority deadline as well, hopefully that won't affect my application very much

4 minutes ago, ballofstress said:

Hey! I've been stalking this thread for awhile! I also applied to USC. I'm sure you have already explained this, but how did you find out about your acceptance? 

I had emailed regarding the timeline. They responded saying decisions would be made throughout February, and then got my offer in an email about a week or so later (can't remember the exact amount of days!) So just hang in there!! :)

Just now, BrownSugar said:

I had emailed regarding the timeline. They responded saying decisions would be made throughout February, and then got my offer in an email about a week or so later (can't remember the exact amount of days!) So just hang in there!! :)

Thank you so much! Do you think this means all acceptances have already mostly gone out or are they just coming randomly/in batches? 

15 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

I am still waiting! There are 3 posts on the results page but I don't remember anyone claiming admit here on the forum.

Hi! I can claim a Georgia acceptance. Sorry I'm new and you have no reason to believe me, but DGS, Teena, called me about two weeks with my acceptance to the fast-track program.