2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

I received a funding offer. Does anyone know where I can find a blog post or information like PhD Income Taxes Explained For Dummies? As an international student, the information on the school's website seemed confusing and complicated to me. I want to approximately calculate how much income I will have

Edited by Indeed

3 hours ago, comradecommissar said:

This is definitely trolls. Id believe that no one who frequents this thread got an acceptance, but no one getting a rejection either is just weird.

inclined to think these are trolls too... on MIT FAQ page:

"Are applications reviewed as they are received?

Applications are not reviewed until after the December 15th deadline. Admission decisions will be made in late February."

3 hours ago, Indeed said:

I received a funding offer. Does anyone know where I can find a blog post or information like PhD Income Taxes Explained For Dummies? As an international student, the information on the school's website seemed confusing and complicated to me. I want to approximately calculate how much income I will have

Not sure this is what you’re after but you might find something here... http://www.phdstipends.com/results

4 hours ago, Indeed said:

It depends on the state and their income tax rate. You can usually google it and find a tool that helps you calculate disposable income after taxes have been taken. 

Edit for e.g. if the stipend is $30,000, you might find your disposable income is~ $26,000 if the tax rate is around 12-14%. 

Edited by BrownSugar

3 hours ago, MEESASOBOREDSA said:

Is there anyone who applied to York University? I checked the last year's info and apparently they do not send e-mails at all...

Hi! I applied to York as well, but I'm not sure if they email you about their decisions. At least you can check how your application did on their online system (MyFile). I've been checking the portal constantly ever since I submitted my application (lol), although I know it's most likely too early to hear from them. Looking at past trends, I suppose we will get the decisions late February or early/mid-March. (I hope I understood your question correctly, and wasn't just stating the obvious.) Best of luck!

Edited by Mikel

Now that I finally had the courage to figuratively open my mouth, I wanted to echo what so many others have already said: I really, really appreciate the positive attitude people have expressed here in this thread. Although I know that I won't be hearing about my own applications for a few weeks or so, it has been uplifting to read this thread and see the way you have supported, and continue to support, each other. I sincerely hope your spirit changes academia (which in its contemporary form often promotes individualistic, egoistic, and competitive values) for the better in the future. Good luck everyone!

3 minutes ago, Mikel said:

Now that I finally had the courage to figuratively open my mouth, I wanted to echo what so many others have already said: I really, really appreciate the positive attitude people have expressed here in this thread. Although I know that I won't be hearing about my own applications for a few weeks or so, it has been uplifting to read this thread and see the way you have supported, and continue to support, each other. I sincerely hope your spirit changes academia (which in its contemporary form often promotes individualistic, egoistic, and competitive values) for the better in the future. Good luck everyone!

My thoughts exactly. Been thinking about how this side of Gradcafe that no one knows about (in my country, at least) turned out to be my safe space since I don’t feel like I can bother my friends or advisors with the issues that phd application provokes this year, so I am grateful to everyone here, who knows and understands! 

Just now, Senochka said:

@ovejalHi, congrats on the UF admit and your other offers. Would you mind telling me when did you submit your app? Nothing new on my portal, so I thought it's either a rejection or they are moving slowly starting with earlier submissions. .

I don’t remember the date exactly but either late November or early December.

6 minutes ago, Senochka said:

@ovejalHi, congrats on the UF admit and your other offers. Would you mind telling me when did you submit your app? Nothing new on my portal, so I thought it's either a rejection or they are moving slowly starting with earlier submissions. .

I was just talking to the DGS there, he said that they submitted their decisions to Office of Admissions and the office will release them until the end of next week. 

I got admitted there as well but most likely will reject the offer. Good luck!

Just now, StarkDark1 said:

I applied to JHU.  Based on previous years, it seems they send out results between February 15th and February 28th.  Looks like we have a bit of waiting.  

Portal history for Political Science dept. or SAIS ? I thought it's for Political Science Dept.