2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

19 minutes ago, Polysciapplicant21 said:

Also wondering about your JH acceptance! 

3 minutes ago, worldywise said:

Congrats to both of you! Just to confirm, your IR acceptances were for Hopkins political science, not SAIS right?

Thank you so much! My offer arrived at around 4:30pm-ish (ET) and it was personalized. Also, it was for the political science department. 

Edited by irh4256
spelling error

18 minutes ago, worldywise said:

Congrats to both of you! Just to confirm, your IR acceptances were for Hopkins political science, not SAIS right?

Yep, I applied for the PhD at Johns Hopkins Political Science and only applied to APSIA masters programs in the Western U.S., so not SAIS.

Edited by JustAnotherScholar
Clarification

1 hour ago, gradpumpkin said:

I'm expecting any day now or maybe early next week. I haven't heard anything about interviews. 

I have a friend who received an email from the DGS to set up an interview for next week. Also saw another person claiming an interview request for next week on the result page. So I don't think we will be hearing next and not sure what it means for those who haven't received an interview invite.

5 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

I have a friend who received an email from the DGS to set up an interview for next week. Also saw another person claiming an interview request for next week on the result page. So I don't think we will be hearing next and not sure what it means for those who haven't received an interview invite.

At least, if there is an interview for CP subfield, that would (very likely) be fake news.

6 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

it doesnt seem like they usually interview, so this is definitely an unprecedented year for them i suppose

2 minutes ago, XXXXbe1 said:

At least, if there is an interview for CP subfield, that would (very likely) be fake news.

Why is that?  I am not sure what sub-field the other person is in, but I can confirm the interview requests are real.

Edited by PolNerd

2 hours ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Congrats! Unfortunately I haven’t but could you share some details like what subfield you’re in, how personalized the email was etc.

It was a pretty generic but long email with approximate funding attached (it was extremely confusing, still haven't figured it out). I am in American (I want to study modern feminist movements). I have a bachelors, pretty low GRE scores(under their 25th percentile, so I was surprised), but a high GPA , some research experience, and at least one very strong letter of rec. 

I have just contacted the DGS at Stony Brook, if anyone was wondering he said that there were 70+ applicants and they picked 6 out of that 70. I don't know if that 6 includes the people who have been waitlisted though.

Edited by HolyGinger

Just now, heyheyheyheyhey said:

Hey all. Claiming a Maryland interview. Very excited! Fingers crossed for everyone else looking to get in. It’s late and the email was personalized, so they may email tomorrow too. I’m IR. 

was it from a specific POI or the department? Im so nervous

"This position (TA) comes with an academic year salary of approximately $XX,XXX. Compensation for your appointment includes a maximum of 9-18 hours of tuition coverage for each semester" 

Do we interpret this as meaning that my tuition will also be covered by the department in addition to the salary? I just want to make sure I am understanding it correctly. (I X'd out the amount for this post)

1 hour ago, HolyGinger said:

I have just contacted the DGS at Stony Brook, if anyone was wondering he said that there were 70+ applicants and they picked 6 out of that 70. I don't know if that 6 includes the people who have been waitlisted though.

Have all the acceptances and waitlist notifications gone out?  Is it basically if you haven't heard from them at this point, you are a rejection?

3 minutes ago, The Converse said:

Have all the acceptances and waitlist notifications gone out?  Is it basically if you haven't heard from them at this point, you are a rejection?

Well I have no idea tbh. But I'd assume it is a rejection. Though maybe if you don't get an official rejection by the end of tomorrow they're still considering you as a candidate? That's what I'm guessing at least, there is no way to know for sure. 

56 minutes ago, timeseries said:

I'm thinking very seriously about whether a PhD is worth it. These numbers are terrible:

Well then you should certainly evaluate your desire to go to graduate school; you don't go to grad school because you want a job--no, you do it because you love the subject so much you cannot see yourself doing anything different for the next 5 - 7 years. You should only go if you really love it, and pursue it for its own sake, as an end in itself.

56 minutes ago, timeseries said:

I'm thinking very seriously about whether a PhD is worth it. These numbers are terrible:

And we can most likely expect these numbers to go down as more tenure-track positions are either converted to adjunct positions or the faculty line is completely cut (I wonder how many political science departments across the US have been shut down -- there were major news out of the Midwest last year on several universities eliminating departments).