2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 hour ago, afjackie said:

Hi there! I am interviewing this week for Notre Dame's joint PhD in Political Science and Peace studies and I was originally concerned about the same thing. I talked to many people, to include professors, very candidly before applying and what I've gleaned is that while the main university is rather conservative, the political science department and the Kroc, Kellogg, and Kenough institutes are a bastion of liberal and progressives values and ideas. I've definitely gotten that sense during my interviews, as I am particularly interested in feminist and critical peace studies. South Bend itself also has a slightly  progressive bent, though it is a relatively small city in the process of revitalization and reinvention and is definitely surrounded by some conservative areas. There are pros and cons for sure, but from what I understand I don't think the conservative attitudes will permeate all that much into the graduate programs/graduate life...

Thanks a lot @afjackie. It's surely good to know that the department is liberal. I hope it goes well. Do you mind sharing your experience regarding the kind of questions they ask and their expectations during the interview? When do you expect to hear a response? 

Edit: I'd misunderstood earlier; Just realized you said you are interviewing this week. 

Edited by rash_sulganni

33 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I have news for people who applied for CP at Cornell. I'm in a seminar with one of the professors who is on the committee for CP; they are planning to admit 2 people for CP so...take that for what it is worth.  

My heart just dropped. 

40 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

I have news for people who applied for CP at Cornell. I'm in a seminar with one of the professors who is on the committee for CP; they are planning to admit 2 people for CP so...take that for what it is worth.  

When posters/professors say things like this do they mean they hope to enroll 2 students (presumably admitting more than 2) or do they straight up mean 2 admissions and the rest rejections/waitlists?

Just now, Crossed_fingers said:

When posters/professors say things like this do they mean they hope to enroll 2 students (presumably admitting more than 2) or do they straight up mean 2 admissions and the rest rejections/waitlists?

The professor said they had two spots for CP and I would guess that means they would offer admissions to slightly more than 2 and expect a few rejections. 

22 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

When should we expect Maryland to release decisions? Also do they normally conduct interviews? Any one receive an interview request for this cycle?

Heard from one Maryland Professor that this year's applicant number tripled, but the class size will be slightly reduced. So they need longer time than normal years to make the final decisions.

Woah, this thread has expanded quite a bit since I last checked! Anyhow, I've got admissions offers from Ohio State University (arrived late January) and Johns Hopkins (today); both for International Relations.

I know some were predicting changes from the past admissions schedule due to current conditions, so have notifications come noticeably later? Because as far as I can tell, at least according to what I've been told, a few of my notifications came earlier than I was expecting.

Hello! I have not been very active on the forum but I have appreciated all of the posts. It is nice to know that I am not alone in this process. I wanted to go ahead and report an acceptance to John Hopkins (for IR)! I know the results section has been somewhat unreliable so I figured I would drop it here. I am beyond ecstatic - this is my first admit and I felt very unsure of myself through much of this process. Regardless, I am happy to be here and I wish you all the best!

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherScholar said:

Woah, this thread has expanded quite a bit since I last checked! Anyhow, I've got admissions offers from Ohio State University (arrived late January) and Johns Hopkins (today); both for International Relations.

I know some were predicting changes from the past admissions schedule due to current conditions, so have notifications come noticeably later? Because as far as I can tell, at least according to what I've been told, a few of my notifications came earlier than I was expecting.

What time did you get an offer from JH? Was it over email or phone? Personalized?

5 minutes ago, irh4256 said:

Hello! I have not been very active on the forum but I have appreciated all of the posts. It is nice to know that I am not alone in this process. I wanted to go ahead and report an acceptance to John Hopkins (for IR)! I know the results section has been somewhat unreliable so I figured I would drop it here. I am beyond ecstatic - this is my first admit and I felt very unsure of myself through much of this process. Regardless, I am happy to be here and I wish you all the best!

Also wondering about your JH acceptance! 

45 minutes ago, XXXXbe1 said:

Heard from one Maryland Professor that this year's applicant number tripled, but the class size will be slightly reduced. So they need longer time than normal years to make the final decisions.

eek, still holding out some hope here

5 minutes ago, Polysciapplicant21 said:

What time did you get an offer from JH? Was it over email or phone? Personalized?

4 minutes ago, Polysciapplicant21 said:

Also wondering about your JH acceptance! 

I got my offer about an hour-and-a-half ago (~1:30 Pacific Standard Time) via email. It was personalized.

Edited by JustAnotherScholar

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherScholar said:

18 minutes ago, irh4256 said:

Congrats to both of you! Just to confirm, your IR acceptances were for Hopkins political science, not SAIS right?