2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Seeking advice, if possible. 

I never received any notification from OSU, today I reached out to the department and (shockingly) this is the reply I received: 

"I just asked our program coordinator about your file, and apparently it was not reviewed by our panel because it was Incomplete due to the absence of official transcripts. I’m very sorry about this, and wish I had better news for you. I wish you all the best in your graduate studies."

When I replied with evidence that I have submitted official transcripts: 

"Thank you for this information. I will check with the graduate school administration to try to understand the reasons for this error. In the meantime, I apologize that the admissions system did not work."

Does anyone have similar experiences? Any advice on what should I do with this? It looks they screwed up! Thanks.

15 minutes ago, IR_PRC said:

I never received any notification from OSU, today I reached out to the department and (shockingly) this is the reply I received: 

"I just asked our program coordinator about your file, and apparently it was not reviewed by our panel because it was Incomplete due to the absence of official transcripts. I’m very sorry about this, and wish I had better news for you. I wish you all the best in your graduate studies."

"Thank you for this information. I will check with the graduate school administration to try to understand the reasons for this error. In the meantime, I apologize that the admissions system did not work."

Does anyone have similar experiences? Any advice on what should I do with this? It looks they screwed up! Thanks.

Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you showing that you submitted the transcripts will get them to review your file but if they've already sent out admits I'd say the best you could hope for would be a waitlist since sending someone an admit after they've already sent them all out would likely mess with their numbers/estimates. You can't really do much other than that; you got dealt a bad hand with OSU in an already REALLY bad cycle, you'll just have to roll with it. If it makes you feel any better I have a friend who applied to OSU for Computer Science and he had a similar thing happen, seems like OSU as a whole might be a bit backwards when it comes to transcripts. 

18 minutes ago, IR_PRC said:

Wow, that does suck! Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I don’t reckon there’s much they will actually be willing/able to do to budge on this even if it was their fault, assuming they’ve already decided who to accept. It’s just a crummy situation overall and I’m sorry that happened. Definitely no harm in continuing to [politely] advocate for yourself just in case though. But from the sounds of it I don’t think they’ll be able to do anything to make up for it /:

1 hour ago, IR_PRC said:

you should at the very least ask for your application fee to be reimbursed, in my opinion! what the hell!

1 minute ago, cbsag123 said:

you should at the very least ask for your application fee to be reimbursed, in my opinion! what the hell!

Yeah, I agree with this 100%. If you sent in everything and they didn't even look at your file you should at least get the fee back. 

I’m urging everyone who has acceptances from UT Austin who isn’t going there to decline soon. With no other offers, this is mostly my only hope and I’d also be really happy here. 

Please decline sooner rather than later if you feel positive you’re going somewhere else. Thank you.

53 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

It might! Thanks! What’s your sub  field? 

1 hour ago, plus said:

I've just declined an offer from Rice. I hope this helps someone here on the waitlist :))

Also CP. Planned to apply, then found my poi just left this year...

3 hours ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you showing that you submitted the transcripts will get them to review your file but if they've already sent out admits I'd say the best you could hope for would be a waitlist since sending someone an admit after they've already sent them all out would likely mess with their numbers/estimates. You can't really do much other than that; you got dealt a bad hand with OSU in an already REALLY bad cycle, you'll just have to roll with it. If it makes you feel any better I have a friend who applied to OSU for Computer Science and he had a similar thing happen, seems like OSU as a whole might be a bit backwards when it comes to transcripts. 

Thank you so much for sympathy and support. It's really doesn't make any sense, and yes I already provided them all the evidences. Will see what they come up with on Monday. Would it be possible to share the email address of your friend? I could ask him how did he dealt with this? 

For the ones who applied to FIU( Department: International Relations) when I entered myFIU I saw that my status has been changed from "Received and Under Review" to "Application". I am guessing the results are coming soon as my POI told me admission committee meets in February

10 hours ago, nivy25 said:

I’m urging everyone who has acceptances from UT Austin who isn’t going there to decline soon. With no other offers, this is mostly my only hope and I’d also be really happy here. 

Please decline sooner rather than later if you feel positive you’re going somewhere else. Thank you.

Just declined UT Austin. Hope this helps you!

This cycle isn't over for me yet, but I just want to say how thankful I am for this little corner of gradcafe. You have been so positive and supportive, providing advice to others on how to strengthen applications, gain more theoretical/methods knowledge, and helping some nurse their rejection(s). I know gradcafe can sometimes be a bitter and anxiety-inducing space, but you've made it a wonderful part of my application journey this year -- thank you! ☺️