2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

7 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

For those who got into OSU, should we be expecting funding info this week?

I feel like initial info should come this week, but I've also heard some horror stories from past applicants about a really drawn out process. 

4 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

How drawn out? Like individuals who were accepted and not funded?

My understanding of a friend's experience is that he did not initially receive funding but was told he might receive funding as others declined their offers. Leading up to the April 15th decision date he still could not get a clear answer and eventually decided to attend elsewhere. I'm sure his experience is a bit of an outlier but going through that does not sound fun. 

1 minute ago, ovejal said:

My understanding of a friend's experience is that he did not initially receive funding but was told he might receive funding as others declined their offers. Leading up to the April 15th decision date he still could not get a clear answer and eventually decided to attend elsewhere. I'm sure his experience is a bit of an outlier but going through that does not sound fun. 

OH! That doesn't sound fun. I don't get why accept applicants if they can't guarantee funding. Was he accepted from the waitlist?

Just now, PolNerd said:

OH! That doesn't sound fun. I don't get why accept applicants if they can't guarantee funding. Was he accepted from the waitlist?

Nope, he got an acceptance in late January. OSU has a weird funding mechanism where all prospective grad students (of all disciplines) compete for funding after they are admitted. As the department doesn't know which students will be selected, they admit some who do not end up with funding. 

(I don't guarantee the exact accuracy of that description of OSU's funding setup, that is how it was explained to me)

9 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

I don't expect Concordia until March or April since they have a later deadline (Feb 1). I applied early and was notified my materials were under review since December but not sure if it's rolling admissions or they send them all out at once.

Thank you very much. In my profile at Concordia, my status has also been under review for more than a month but I have not heard any news yet. As you said, March or April might be the time they send the results. Fingers crossed 

Tomorrow marks the beginning of yet another week that will be filled with either stress, excitement, pain or happiness. 

But regardless of what we feel, it’s good to know that this stressful process is slowly reaching towards its end (at least for US schools). 

Good luck to everyone for this week :) 

1 hour ago, Indeed said:

hope Stanford and MIT will release their results soon too.

and even accounting for this year's off-the-schedule admissions timeline, MIT results should be out soon...

But, I'd still take 5 rejections over another week of coming-but-not-coming admission results.

(Editing to make it more positive: hang in there friends! Remember, 20 standard drinks per week before it's alcoholism (European standards, obviously :)))

Edited by uname_suggests_rdumb

56 minutes ago, brickinthewall said:

that said, i don't know if i'd expect anything today as its technically a holiday in the US

I know for sure that Stanford isn't opening office today, but then again ucla released their decisions on a Saturday

Claiming a rejection from UMichigan. 

"The University of Michigan Political Science department received nearly 600 applications to our Ph.D. program this year. The pool was extremely competitive, and we were able to admit only about four percent of all applicants."

1a/2w/3r/7p

Edited by poliscihopeful2021

22 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Claiming a rejection from UMichigan. 

"The University of Michigan Political Science department received nearly 600 applications to our Ph.D. program this year. The pool was extremely competitive, and we were able to admit only about four percent of all applicants."

1a/2w/3r/7p

Their website indicates 320 to 375 in a regular year so it’s interesting that a top program like Michigan didn’t get the huge (greater than double) boost in applications that other universities did.

Claiming a Michigan rejection.

Admittedly it stings a bit less in hindsight but still, was in competition for my top spot - I thought it was a great fit. Either way, I couldn’t be happier with my cycle and will be going to Princeton now that my admissions season has effectively come to a close (still waiting on a few but was predominantly waiting on Michigan or Princeton). I’ll be declining other school’s offers over the next few weeks, so hopefully this helps open up the waitlist!

Edited by ssppiikkeerr

1 minute ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Their website indicates 320 to 375 in a regular year so it’s interesting that a top program like Michigan didn’t get the huge (greater than double) boost in applications that other universities did.

That's still nearly double, which is quite a jump. Michigan also did not accept the GRE this year (most schools just made it optional). Couldn't have picked a worse year to apply, god.