2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

On 2/11/2021 at 5:46 PM, heyheyheyheyhey said:

Hey all. Claiming a Maryland interview. Very excited! Fingers crossed for everyone else looking to get in. It’s late and the email was personalized, so they may email tomorrow too. I’m IR. 

I got an interview there too. I'm CP. When did you schedule yours? I'm super nervous. 

9 hours ago, smug-face said:

Out of curiosity -- I've seen a few people on the results page shocked by the FSU funding. How much are they offering? Is it before or after tax?

Honestly, the way it is written it is very difficult to understand. Originally it said "48,000", but if you read through it a few times you notice that actually includes the free tuition as well. I'm still uncertain what the amount actually is. They listed about 4 different numbers in the letter, making it impossible to tell. 

I also received an offer from UCLA tonight! I’m absolutely shocked and thrilled. I’d pretty much assumed I’d been rejected by nearly every single program but turns out that didn’t happen. 

Guys, keep fighting! It’s not the end till April 15th! Best of luck for the subsequent decisions! 

12 minutes ago, ExileOnMainSt said:

I also received an offer from UCLA tonight! I’m absolutely shocked and thrilled. I’d pretty much assumed I’d been rejected by nearly every single program but turns out that didn’t happen. 

Guys, keep fighting! It’s not the end till April 15th! Best of luck for the subsequent decisions! 

Congratulations to you and @pol_real! @ExileOnMainSt, do you mind sharing your subfield? And did you also get an email about 45 minutes ago like pol_real, or are they maybe emailing people gradually? Thank you!

Hi guys, a lurker here,

I know this has been a rough year for all of us, and a really disheartening admission season. I dared to write today because UMass Amherst waitlisted me, and I have been rejected from every other school (I applied to MANY). Just like others before, I'm only here to ask you that if you have been waitlisted or offered admission by UMass, and you believe to have a better option, please decline as soon as possible so others and I can have a shot in here.

I apologize in advance for the inconvenience of this post, because I understand the stress and anxiety.

Thanks. Congrats to those admitted everywhere, and good luck to everyone.?

P.S. Subfield: IR/CP

11 minutes ago, loiewo said:

Seeking advice! Would you go to a 40s ranked PhD or a T10 ranked masters?

I think that depends on the funding situation and your career goals. Back in 2009 I turned down a funded PhD from UCONN to get my Master's at Georgetown, so a very similar situation. But at that time I was happy to pursue a foreign policy career, and the MPP from Georgetown opened all of the doors I needed. I managed to get what was at the time my dream job, but I also wound up with over $100,000 in student loan debt that I'm still paying off. So I think the biggest question is if you really want to go straight into academia and are therefore going to try and get the PhD as soon as you are done with your masters, and/or what your financial situation is going to be like during the masters. I don't regret mine, but if I had decided to immediately go for my PhD afterwards (instead of 10 years after my masters), I would have been super bitter about that student loan debt.