2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

What an absolute cracker of a day! I am ecstatic! I have been accepted into Syracuse and Maryland. I am over the moon! To all those who have interviews with Maryland - spoiler alert - you have been accepted! The DGSs are delightful! Come prepared to ask questions about the program. I cannot begin to describe the joy of being accepted in such a tough year to such amazing schools. 

To those still waiting - we are still early in this process. You are all so brilliant and supportive. This is a tough year and I wish you the absolute best of luck. 

Now to the stats: I am IR. 2a/1w.

Just now, heyheyheyheyhey said:

What an absolute cracker of a day! I am ecstatic! I have been accepted into Syracuse and Maryland. I am over the moon! To all those who have interviews with Maryland - spoiler alert - you have been accepted! The DGSs are delightful! Come prepared to ask questions about the program. I cannot begin to describe the joy of being accepted in such a tough year to such amazing schools. 

To those still waiting - we are still early in this process. You are all so brilliant and supportive. This is a tough year and I wish you the absolute best of luck. 

Congratulations!  ?

9 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

If you get a large scholarship, definitely a good choice to do an MA at UChicago.  But I wouldn't recommend taking a loan of tens of thousands for a 1 year MA.  I'm glad I didn't do that.  I went to another MA program with more generous funding.  

If you do get into CIR or MAPSS and the funding isn’t enough to justify it for you, I would recommend asking them for money! They do take those requests and can give more funding. And in my experience they are fairly generous, offering many people 1/2, 2/3, or (in some, rarer cases) full funding. The PhD placement is great and it’s very good training.

6 minutes ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

I just had my interview and it wasn't an interview, IT WAS AN ACCEPTANCE! I hope it's the same for you! Good luck! 

WAIT! I have an interview at Maryland too. What do you mean it was an acceptance? Like how did the interview go?

18 minutes ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

CONGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS?

9 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

To those rejected from UChicago (this includes me), did everybody's application get forwarded to either CIR or MAPSS? How tough is the competition for these programs do you think?

Wondering the exact same thing. Hope that they don't forward everyone to MAs and just keep us waiting for another month or so...

1 minute ago, CharmanderGo said:

Wondering the exact same thing. Hope that they don't forward everyone to MAs and just keep us waiting for another month or so...

Exactly! Also makes me wonder if there's anything we can do at this point to show our commitment to the school?

15 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

WAIT! I have an interview at Maryland too. What do you mean it was an acceptance? Like how did the interview go?

I went in all prepared for my interview and they started talking about how enthusiastic they were about our research opportunities, so I asked if this was an interview or an acceptance and they said it was an acceptance! They apologised that the email wasn’t clearer haha! They are super nice. I’m so excited! 

6 hours ago, ssppiikkeerr said:

Claiming a Michigan rejection.

Admittedly it stings a bit less in hindsight but still, was in competition for my top spot - I thought it was a great fit. Either way, I couldn’t be happier with my cycle and will be going to Princeton now that my admissions season has effectively come to a close (still waiting on a few but was predominantly waiting on Michigan or Princeton). I’ll be declining other school’s offers over the next few weeks, so hopefully this helps open up the waitlist!

Wow, I could have written this word for word

33 minutes ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

I just had my interview and it wasn't an interview, IT WAS AN ACCEPTANCE! I hope it's the same for you! Good luck! 

OMGG, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations! How was everything? Did they straightly say you was accepted or did they have a conversation with you first?

Just now, flb1997 said:

OMGG, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations! How was everything? Did they straightly say you was accepted or did they have a conversation with you first?

Yeah! They assumed I knew ahha! My advice is to go in with heaps of questions about the program. They are so enthusiastic about it and keen to let you know all the great opportunities. I was just reeling from being accepted. I’m not sure I was coherent! 

2 minutes ago, kmccorm327 said:

@heyheyheyheyhey CONGRATULATIONS! Re: Syracuse, did they send you a link to the portal, or was it an email from a POI? Hoping not hearing today doesn't mean rejection!

Hey! It was an email from the DGS. Super lovely. No funding info yet but said he would get back to me shortly. I hope they are rolling them out slowly. Definitely not automated. Good luck! 

12 minutes ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

Yeah! They assumed I knew ahha! My advice is to go in with heaps of questions about the program. They are so enthusiastic about it and keen to let you know all the great opportunities. I was just reeling from being accepted. I’m not sure I was coherent! 

What??? I will have the interview tomorrow morning. Hopefully it is also the case for me, since Maryland is definitely my dream school. And, may I kindly ask how long is the interview?

29 minutes ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

I went in all prepared for my interview and they started talking about how enthusiastic they were about our research opportunities, so I asked if this was an interview or an acceptance and they said it was an acceptance! They apologised that the email wasn’t clearer haha! They are super nice. I’m so excited! 

Congrats!!! That is amazing. Did they give you any info on funding?