2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

If anyone has advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. I have an in-person visit coming up with a school. They are booking the hotel and they are reimbursing me for my flights. I am scheduled to fly out on Thursday, but my state is undergoing a crazy snow/ice storm. I emailed them once to see if I could change my visit, but then I checked on my tickets. There is a cancellation/change fee for the tickets. I'm not sure if they would be willing to pay it, and it isn't something I could really afford. So, I told them that I would get myself to the airport, but that there was a very good chance of the flight being delayed or cancelled. In reality, I'm very nervous to drive the 2hrs to the airport. I have no idea what to do, and how to handle this without making myself look bad with the school. 

1 hour ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

What an absolute cracker of a day! I am ecstatic! I have been accepted into Syracuse and Maryland. I am over the moon! To all those who have interviews with Maryland - spoiler alert - you have been accepted! The DGSs are delightful! Come prepared to ask questions about the program. I cannot begin to describe the joy of being accepted in such a tough year to such amazing schools. 

To those still waiting - we are still early in this process. You are all so brilliant and supportive. This is a tough year and I wish you the absolute best of luck. 

Now to the stats: I am IR. 2a/1w.

Wow! congrats! I did notice that all the people claiming interviews here were not AP, either theres a coincidence that there were AP interviews but all of them arent on gradcafe... or I still have hope 
I'm really hoping for Maryland so I'm trying to be somewhat optimistic lol

17 minutes ago, ballofstress said:

If anyone has advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. I have an in-person visit coming up with a school. They are booking the hotel and they are reimbursing me for my flights. I am scheduled to fly out on Thursday, but my state is undergoing a crazy snow/ice storm. I emailed them once to see if I could change my visit, but then I checked on my tickets. There is a cancellation/change fee for the tickets. I'm not sure if they would be willing to pay it, and it isn't something I could really afford. So, I told them that I would get myself to the airport, but that there was a very good chance of the flight being delayed or cancelled. In reality, I'm very nervous to drive the 2hrs to the airport. I have no idea what to do, and how to handle this without making myself look bad with the school. 

It's a business expense - not personal - for them, so I think you should relax in terms of what you would look like.

Which school is doing in-person visits during COVID anyway?

Just now, aaaaaaaaaa said:

It's a business expense - not personal - for them, so I think you should relax in terms of what you would look like.

Which school is doing in-person visits during COVID anyway?

UGA is having us all visit on different weekends. I think there is a very small number of us, so it is doable. 

Today at around 5pm I received a reply from Cornell's DGS. He wrote "we expect to conclude our admissions process this week. Notifications will be sent out to applicants shortly thereafter." ...I guess it's no longer by the end of Feb or beginning of March. It's THIS WEEK!

I know a lot of us here have applied to Cornell thanks to its GRE waiver and the program's reputation.

My cycle is almost done, with one fully funded offer, one rejection, and two more to hear back from. Hang in there everyone!

26 minutes ago, pspr said:

Today at around 5pm I received a reply from Cornell's DGS. He wrote "we expect to conclude our admissions process this week. Notifications will be sent out to applicants shortly thereafter." ...I guess it's no longer by the end of Feb or beginning of March. It's THIS WEEK!

I know a lot of us here have applied to Cornell thanks to its GRE waiver and the program's reputation.

My cycle is almost done, with one fully funded offer, one rejection, and two more to hear back from. Hang in there everyone!

THIS WILL BE ME ALL OF THIS WEEK 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, pspr said:

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the sender's name as "Dept of Government: Director of Graduate Studies" and not that professor's name.  

Man, I can't wait for this process to be over. March can't come any sooner.

Edited by PolNerd

58 minutes ago, pspr said:

Thanks for letting us know!!! :) 

I think him having written ‘notifications will be sent... shortly thereafter’ could also indicate next week, if decision making concludes on Friday, for instance. So I’ll try not to keep my hopes up too much haha

I just have Northwestern and Yale to hear back from for PhDs. I’m 99.9% sure northwestern is a reject but they’re really dragging it out! 

And honestly, the chances of me getting in Yale are almost non-existent. This is not me doubting myself, just speaking based off of admission statistics. 

For the people asking about MAPSS, the website says they read roughly 1800 apps last year (815 direct and 968 referred) for a cohort of 250 people. Given COVID spikes in applications, I would expect them to have around 2000-2500 apps total for 250 spots this year. 

I finally got an email from Chicago to check the portal and they say admissions decisions about MAPSS should be out in mid-March, so in about a month.

10 hours ago, heyheyheyheyhey said:

What an absolute cracker of a day! I am ecstatic! I have been accepted into Syracuse and Maryland. I am over the moon! To all those who have interviews with Maryland - spoiler alert - you have been accepted! The DGSs are delightful! Come prepared to ask questions about the program. I cannot begin to describe the joy of being accepted in such a tough year to such amazing schools. 

To those still waiting - we are still early in this process. You are all so brilliant and supportive. This is a tough year and I wish you the absolute best of luck. 

Now to the stats: I am IR. 2a/1w.

Did you interview with Syracuse too?