2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

15 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

Has anyone gotten on NW's waitlist yet? i saw a weird post on the results page but I don't trust anything on there..

Nada. I even emailed the DGS, crickets. And to add, anyone got any acceptance or rejection since the few over the weekend? 

Edited by PolNerd

8 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Nada. I even emailed the DGS, crickets. And to add, anyone got any acceptance or rejection since the few over the weekend? What is going on with this department?

15 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

Has anyone gotten on NW's waitlist yet? i saw a weird post on the results page but I don't trust anything on there..

I got a rejection this morning. Came at exactly 12pm EST, just like all of the previous times Northwestern notifications were sent out. Seems like their system sends out notifications every day at that time, based on what has been inputted into the system at that point. Feels to me like they are just coming on a rolling basis as data gets entered into the system, but it could be possible they are holding some back on an informal waitlist. If you look back at previous years, it does not look like Northwestern does an official waitlist. 

2 minutes ago, afjackie said:

I got a rejection this morning. Came at exactly 12pm EST, just like all of the previous times Northwestern notifications were sent out. Seems like their system sends out notifications every day at that time, based on what has been inputted into the system at that point. Feels to me like they are just coming on a rolling basis as data gets entered into the system, but it could be possible they are holding some back on an informal waitlist. If you look back at previous years, it does not look like Northwestern does an official waitlist. 

Do you think its alphabetical order or application order? 

2 minutes ago, Nihankg said:

Do you think its alphabetical order or application order? 

My last name starts with a B so alphabetical is possible, but really who knows! I hope there are some people unofficially waitlisted out there - keeping my fingers crossed for you all still waiting! 

Just now, poliscigirl_ said:

Has anyone else gotten silence from NYU? Assuming a rejection at this point but have they sent all rejections out?

I know a few people who still haven't heard back (all for CP). One of them contacted them last week and they said that they still have a few decisions coming, so you never know! Good luck!

21 minutes ago, smug-face said:

I know a few people who still haven't heard back (all for CP). One of them contacted them last week and they said that they still have a few decisions coming, so you never know! Good luck!

bit reassuring, thank you! hate that everything seems to come by sub-field because I know of friends hearing news but not me and vice versa...

2 minutes ago, nightowlll said:

What does personalized email mean?

It suggests that they are admitting students one by one, as opposed to a massive email dump. The hope is that personalized emails imply that not all acceptances happen at a single time, which implies that if you haven't heard anything yet you still might. Hope that helps.

4 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

It suggests that they are admitting students one by one, as opposed to a massive email dump. The hope is that personalized emails imply that not all acceptances happen at a single time, which implies that if you haven't heard anything yet you still might. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I just feel they may change the name at the beginning of the email, and then send all in the same period. 

43 minutes ago, totorophd said:

No, I was very surprised! 

38 minutes ago, gradpumpkin said:

Oh wow, that gives me hope! ! I'm also CP and didn't get an interview request but thought I had good odds and a great fit. Was it a personalized email?

Oh wow. that's interesting. I had given up because I wasn't called for interview. Perhaps there is still hope

1 hour ago, smug-face said:

Quite interesting to not just send all acceptances at the same time. I applied to the IR sub-field and I haven't heard from them either. Just give me the damn rejection letter already lol

3 minutes ago, hannahbananapie said:

Hey, congrats to those accepted to Cornell! I just wanted to check that nobody has claimed an acceptance to Cornell for CP yet? Thanks!

There is one on the Government results page: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=government&t=a&o=&pp=25
Sorry, I don't know whether this has been claimed here in the thread.

Edited by drmantol

16 minutes ago, drmantol said:

There is one on the Government results page: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=government&t=a&o=&pp=25

Thanks for replying! I wasn’t sure if the ones for yesterday were real or not as they haven’t been claimed here yet.

6 minutes ago, drmantol said:

I haven’t seen anyone here claim it for CP (only IR and AP, i think). But i’m not sure if it’s likely or unlikely that the DGS sends out acceptances of different subfileds at different times. 

Best case scenario (which I hope so lol) is that the result on that page is a troll bc the acceptances for other subfields were sent out this morning, not yesterday. On the contrary, it can be possible too that CP acceptances were all sent out this morning along with other subfields, but the CP people who got it are simply not on this thread.

Another odd thing is that no one has claimed they are waitlisted at all. So I am not sure if the whole process is really done. Then I decided to email the grad coordinator (not the DGS) to ask if all the decisions and admission process are concluded. She replied: we may send additional acceptances in the next few weeks, so have not concluded our process.”

i just hate this in-between feeling where i’m not sure if i am rejected or still have hope! 

1 hour ago, gradpumpkin said:

You're CP too right? Could be wrong but I actually never saw any interviews claimed for CP so maybe they're doing things differently. One can only hope haha

Yup...I am CP. I find it odd that some subfields interviews whereas others do not.

4 minutes ago, pspr said:

I haven’t seen anyone here claim it for CP (only IR and AP, i think). But i’m not sure if it’s likely or unlikely that the DGS sends out acceptances of different subfileds at different times. 

Best case scenario (which I hope so lol) is that the result on that page is a troll bc the acceptances for other subfields were sent out this morning, not yesterday. On the contrary, it can be possible too that CP acceptances were all sent out this morning along with other subfields, but the CP people who got it are simply not on this thread.

Another odd thing is that no one has claimed they are waitlisted at all. So I am not sure if the whole process is really done. Then I decided to email the grad coordinator (not the DGS) to ask if all the decisions and admission process are concluded. She replied: we may send additional acceptances in the next few weeks, so have not concluded our process.”

i just hate this in-between feeling where i’m not sure if i am rejected or still have hope! 

I feel you! Does Cornell normally notify waitlists? Also, I wonder, in previous cycles, how long after the acceptance did the rejections come out?