2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, pspr said:

I haven’t seen anyone here claim it for CP (only IR and AP, i think). But i’m not sure if it’s likely or unlikely that the DGS sends out acceptances of different subfileds at different times. 

Best case scenario (which I hope so lol) is that the result on that page is a troll bc the acceptances for other subfields were sent out this morning, not yesterday. On the contrary, it can be possible too that CP acceptances were all sent out this morning along with other subfields, but the CP people who got it are simply not on this thread.

Another odd thing is that no one has claimed they are waitlisted at all. So I am not sure if the whole process is really done. Then I decided to email the grad coordinator (not the DGS) to ask if all the decisions and admission process are concluded. She replied: we may send additional acceptances in the next few weeks, so have not concluded our process.”

i just hate this in-between feeling where i’m not sure if i am rejected or still have hope! 

I think someone claimed for Theory too? But I haven’t seen any for CP yet. Have they been from the DGS? I think they’ve only been sent by professors? As perhaps professors are sending out informal acceptances in their own time? Not sure!

Fingers crossed they haven’t finished sending out decisions yet... good luck to you!

6 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

I feel you! Does Cornell normally notify waitlists? Also, I wonder, in previous cycles, how long after the acceptance did the rejections come out?

Within three to six days after acceptances last year and 2019. Check the Poli Sci Oracle here: https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/

Edited by TheLifeofBrian

10 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

I feel you! Does Cornell normally notify waitlists? Also, I wonder, in previous cycles, how long after the acceptance did the rejections come out?

I think they do notify those who are waitlisted (don’t quote on that). Rejection should come several days after I think.

Cornell is a perfect fit for me ...if they reject me thats going to be more heartbreaking than other places! 

7 minutes ago, hannahbananapie said:

I think someone claimed for Theory too? But I haven’t seen any for CP yet. Have they been from the DGS? I think they’ve only been sent by professors? As perhaps professors are sending out informal acceptances in their own time? Not sure!

Fingers crossed they haven’t finished sending out decisions yet... good luck to you!

Someone who claimed the AP acceptance here told me the email is from the DGS and follwed by emails from her several POIs and the grad coordinator.

One of the schools that accepted me actually had notified other successful applicants before me. For unspecified reason, my offer came one day late. I just try to hope that this could also be the case, but of course it is that I am pretty much trying to calm myself by injecting myself with a potentially false hope ?

Good luck to you all!

Edited by pspr

5 minutes ago, pspr said:

I think they do notify those who are waitlisted (don’t quote on that). Rejection should come several days after I think.

Cornell is a perfect fit for me ...if they reject me thats going to be more heartbreaking than other places! 

Someone who claimed the AP acceptance here told me the email is from the DGS and follwed by emails from her several POIs and the grad coordinator.

One of the schools that accepted me actually had notified other successful applicants before me. For unspecified reason, my offer came one day late. I just try to hope that this could also be the case, but of course it is that I am pretty much trying to calm myself by injecting myself with a potentially false hope ?

Good luck to you all!

I hope you get in! I remember you only applied to 4 schools, so I hope you also received offers on the other 3.

I am officially taking a break from the forum since my only remaining "pending" are likely rejections. If I get in at any of the two remaining schools, it will be a very nice surprise; if not, no need stress about.

For those who have been accepted into programs, congrats! For those still waiting, best of luck!

Will probably log back around mid March to start talking about programs and where to go etc. 

Good luck to all!

Edited by PolNerd

Hi, sorry to distract the heated debate on Cornell but I must ask: Is there anyone who hear something from CUNY? It seems like sociology admissions was a bit of mess. I wonder is it the same for POLS as well.

6 minutes ago, Nihankg said:

Hi, sorry to distract the heated debate on Cornell but I must ask: Is there anyone who hear something from CUNY? It seems like sociology admissions was a bit of mess. I wonder is it the same for POLS as well.

Hi, nothing here. Not update in the portal, not email either.

52 minutes ago, pspr said:

Another odd thing is that no one has claimed they are waitlisted at all. So I am not sure if the whole process is really done. Then I decided to email the grad coordinator (not the DGS) to ask if all the decisions and admission process are concluded. She replied: we may send additional acceptances in the next few weeks, so have not concluded our process.”

i just hate this in-between feeling where i’m not sure if i am rejected or still have hope! 

It is the worst. The response you got doesn't make it any easier either, since 'may send additional acceptances' does make it seem like they've sent out their 'for sure' acceptances, and are now waiting to consider people who might be potential waitlists or see how many people reject the offers. 

1 hour ago, Nihankg said:

1 hour ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Hi, nothing here. Not update in the portal, not email either.

Same for me. I did look through the results page from over the years and it seems they tend to notify late (mid March ish) ??‍♀️

If it is a reject, I’d rather not receive a personalised email than have to wait for weeks just to confirm my fears of rejection. Schools should just use a standard reply. I get that personalised emails feel better, but honestly getting a rejection makes you feel so sucky that no amount of personalisation can make you feel better. Just use automated systems and TELL US!!!

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing! Quick question, has anyone heard back from NYU or Georgetown Political Science in Phd? Im pretty sure Im rejected, but the waiting is the worst. 

Edit: Sorry! I have just seen some people have been accepted into the NYU Phd, was it into t the IR subfield? 

Edited by EstherBritoAbrio

3 hours ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing! Quick question, has anyone heard back from NYU or Georgetown Political Science in Phd? Im pretty sure Im rejected, but the waiting is the worst. 

Edit: Sorry! I have just seen some people have been accepted into the NYU Phd, was it into t the IR subfield? 

A couple of people have been accepted by Georgetown this week. I was informally waitlisted. I do not think all decisions (even acceptances) have been released as when I spoke to the admissions chair he said all decisions would be made by the end of the month.

Edited by BrownSugar

4 hours ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

I received a CP acceptance at NYU a couple weeks ago

5 hours ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Also have a NYU acceptance in IR

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it! This is my first time applying to Phds and Im super lost. I think it might be fair to say NYU is done then. If it were ok (I dont know if this is the place to ask), _nutella_ and polisci123_1, can I ask what do yo think was your biggest strength when applying? I am hoping to reapply next year to NYU, its been my dream school for quite a while. I hope this is not a bother! 

7 minutes ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it! This is my first time applying to Phds and Im super lost. I think it might be fair to say NYU is done then. If it were ok (I dont know if this is the place to ask), _nutella_ and polisci123_1, can I ask what do yo think was your biggest strength when applying? I am hoping to reapply next year to NYU, its been my dream school for quite a while. I hope this is not a bother! 

I actually love this idea, people who got into their dream schools, it would be awesome if you shared what you thought you did right! Plus it means you get to brag about yourself :)

Edited by kmccorm327