2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, Sharpweaselz said:

Where did they state that the decisions have been reached? The quote that spawned this conversation stated that they are "working as fast as they can to notify applicants . . . ." Applicant notification is the end result, not necessarily the entirety of the process. Someone on the phone saying they are "working to notify applicants" can just as well be a stand-in for, "we are working to make decisions as fast as possible and get notifications to applicants."

Go back and read the comments on this thread. I called the day people received acceptance and the guy said decisions have been reached and everyone should get them that Friday. Others have also called more than one time. NW has been saying all throughout they are working to upload those decisions and that the process takes them 5 minutes for each upload bla bla bla. Never have they said decisions haven't been finalized. 

11 minutes ago, politicsgal said:

I also haven't heard much from Northwestern since being admitted for AP on 2/10.

Has anyone heard anything from Duke or UCLA lately? I'm curious if they're just taking a long time to reject people or if there could be more acceptances or waitlists coming.

Curious about the same for Duke! Seems like a long time to just end up handing out rejections. 

5 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

Speaking of the GRE, does anyone have any resources they recommend for studying? I already have a practice test book that I work on, but I'm wondering if there's more (like online classes). I'm pretty much out of the running everywhere pending Yale, so now I'm turning to a 2nd master's as well!

I used Magoosh to prep for the GRE. It’s a super cool platform. They are kind with extensions as well. I bought the 6 month pack, and you’re allowed to pause /freeze account as many times as you like in case you’re taking a few weeks off and you don’t want the clock running. Even after the 6 months ended they offered me a few extra months when I requested I needed more time. I think my mistake was ONLY doing Magoosh. They are great for prepping but next time I am going to entirely solve Manhattan 5lb, and maybe look over Barron’s for words. 

Oh, btw, if you do wanna join Magoosh let me know, I have a code that might give us both some benefits :) 

One could think that 2021 there would be an automated system for sending rejections. Say an application costs $100 on average. Is that an insufficient amount to have a system that manages rejections in an efficient way? When you have 500 applicants, wouldn't be in the best interest of the graduate school to put in place such system? I cannot imagine the amount of inefficient time wasted on sending rejections, if time is really the reason for the delay.

I feel I am on a little rant here. Maybe is my millennialism... I guess I just want the process to be more transparent. At this point I don't think departments are really revealing what happens on the admissions process. It feels such a black box. But does it really needs to be this way? Are departments scared people will try to 'game' the process? 

I feel that there are huge asimetries of information that ultimate give an advantage to graduates of elite schools that can gain access to this 'hidden knowledge' just by talking with their professors.

Edited by skullkid

32 minutes ago, Prof2B said:

Go back and read the comments on this thread. I called the day people received acceptance and the guy said decisions have been reached and everyone should get them that Friday. Others have also called more than one time. NW has been saying all throughout they are working to upload those decisions and that the process takes them 5 minutes for each upload bla bla bla. Never have they said decisions haven't been finalized. 

Just called, and they clarified that yes, they have reached all decisions and all they need to do is send out letters.

BUT they told me that they are releasing letters in random order, not based on admission result.

So while decisions are finalized, not all admissions have been sent out yet. People who are still waiting are just as likely to be admitted as people who heard early on.

26 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Have been wondering the same, especially considering we turned in our applications before December 1st...

Although Stanford's deadline is December 1st, the committee does not start its work until mid December. That's why the  graduate program manager allows you to update your application by the 10th. I think the committee did not start working until the 16th last year because the graduate program manager contacted me regarding my missing materials that day.

5 minutes ago, Sharpweaselz said:

Just called, and they clarified that yes, they have reached all decisions and all they need to do is send out letters.

BUT they told me that they are releasing letters in random order, not based on admission result.

So while decisions are finalized, not all admissions have been sent out yet. People who are still waiting are just as likely to be admitted as people who heard early on.

Yeah right. I applaud the optimism. Logic will say they will send out the 20 or acceptance first and drag out the rejections (I don't know why though - use a waitlist if you aren't sure about your yield like other programs). If it was in random order, then why did the first batch only consisted of acceptance and the subsequent sporadic decisions been rejections? But hey, I can't fault keeping the hope alive.

Edited by Prof2B

9 minutes ago, skullkid said:

One could think that 2021 there would be an automated system for sending rejections. Say an application costs $100 on average. Is than an insufficient amount to have a system that manages rejections in an efficient way? When you have 500 applicants wouldn't be in the best interest of the graduate school to put in place such system? I cannot imagine the amount of inefficient time wasted on sending rejections, if time is really the reason for the delay.

I feel I am on a little rant here. Maybe is my millennialism... I guess I would want the process to be more transparent. At this point I don't think departments are really revealing what happens on the admissions process. It feels such a black box. But does it really needs to be this way? Are departments scared people will try to 'game' the process? 

I feel that there are huge asimetries of information that ultimate give an advantage to graduates of elite schools that can gain access to this 'hidden knowledge' just by talking with their professors.

Most schools do have efficient ways of sending rejections...Northwestern literally does this every year though where they send a bunch of accepts earlier, and drag the rejections on forever. Read some old threads and y'all will see that this is Classic Northwestern behavior. 

I believe that many schools don't want transparency because the system is easily gamed. In retrospect, it's not hard to do all the things needed to get into top political science programs if you have enough time. It's just hard to know what those things are, and have access to all those things, at the right time. And it just so happens that elite undergrad programs already have you doing these elusive things, while less prestigious undergrad programs just don't. 

14 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Not my subfield so I wouldn't trust my own feedback so my advice is very general. During visit days, tell your professors what schools you're considering. Most will give you very frank advice about where they think your best bet is. Most are morbidly curious about where you got into, and will ask that question right off the bat, and it can be kinda daunting to say something along the lines of "I got into Michigan" to an Emory professor, for example, but trust me, honesty is useful here. They'll try to sell their own program, at least a little bit, for sure, but ultimately most everyone wants to help you make your utility-maximizing decision. Some of the best gems of advice I got from visits and calls with profs are in the vein of "I know you got into XXX, and I'm not stupid so I you won't come here, XXX is a really good choice," and "if I were a student now with those options I'd choose XXX over our program." 

I’m going to agree with this advise, talk to faculty during your visit days. Besides the honest advice they provide, it’s a great way to hear the juicy sub-field gossip that only a professor would know, things like which professors are leaving, which ones hate new students, and which programs are misleading with their information.

Obviously take all the gossip with a grain of salt, but it is hella fun to hear. 

8 minutes ago, Dwar said:

I’m going to agree with this advise, talk to faculty during your visit days. Besides the honest advice they provide, it’s a great way to hear the juicy sub-field gossip that only a professor would know, things like which professors are leaving, which ones hate new students, and which programs are misleading with their information.

Obviously take all the gossip with a grain of salt, but it is hella fun to hear. 

25 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Not my subfield so I wouldn't trust my own feedback so my advice is very general. During visit days, tell your professors what schools you're considering. Most will give you very frank advice about where they think your best bet is. Most are morbidly curious about where you got into, and will ask that question right off the bat, and it can be kinda daunting to say something along the lines of "I got into Michigan" to an Emory professor, for example, but trust me, honesty is useful here. They'll try to sell their own program, at least a little bit, for sure, but ultimately most everyone wants to help you make your utility-maximizing decision. Some of the best gems of advice I got from visits and calls with profs are in the vein of "I know you got into XXX, and I'm not stupid so I you won't come here, XXX is a really good choice," and "if I were a student now with those options I'd choose XXX over our program." 

Thanks guys! I know you can't speak to sub-field, but maybe you could talk about brand name of the university and whether that is important. Say going to a lower ranked program that has better University brand name. 

Just now, Prof2B said:

Thanks guys! I know you can't speak to sub-field, but maybe you could talk about brand name of the university and whether that is important. Say going to a lower ranked program that has better University brand name. 

So I touched on this in the other thread, but generally the department is more important than the university.

The very rare exceptions to this are in the case where the university provides the department with a lot of money to work with. But considering OSU is a pretty wealthy university and Ohio is generally a cheaper state to live in (compared to the East coast), I’d say in your case department beats university hands down. 

Basically, those people who would be hiring for a PhD position (either inside or outside academia) understand that the department is the important thing and will weigh it above any prestige the university as a whole carries. 

22 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Most schools do have efficient ways of sending rejections...Northwestern literally does this every year though where they send a bunch of accepts earlier, and drag the rejections on forever. Read some old threads and y'all will see that this is Classic Northwestern behavior. 

I believe that many schools don't want transparency because the system is easily gamed. In retrospect, it's not hard to do all the things needed to get into top political science programs if you have enough time. It's just hard to know what those things are, and have access to all those things, at the right time. And it just so happens that elite undergrad programs already have you doing these elusive things, while less prestigious undergrad programs just don't. 

What are all of the elusive things?

1 minute ago, Dwar said:

So I touched on this in the other thread, but generally the department is more important than the university.

The very rare exceptions to this are in the case where the university provides the department with a lot of money to work with. But considering OSU is a pretty wealthy university and Ohio is generally a cheaper state to live in (compared to the East coast), I’d say in your case department beats university hands down. 

Basically, those people who would be hiring for a PhD position (either inside or outside academia) understand that the department is the important thing and will weigh it above any prestige the university as a whole carries. 

I agree with @Dwar. Department rankings is paramount! The people who need to know will know! 

Just now, Dwar said:

Just saw your post there! Thank you for that - definitely helps with the decision. It is funny how choosing a Ph.D program throws out everything we know about university ranking/prestige at the undergraduate and master levels. Hope Colorado is treating you well (been lurking on this forum for years now haha)

1 hour ago, Prof2B said:

Btw, seeking thoughts on choices, if anyone wants to provide thoughts it would be much appreciated! Also Paging current grad students like @BunniesInSpace@sloth_girl, @Dwar, @Theory007 etc

Ohio State has a higher ranking and somewhat lower cost of living, but you have to seriously consider Maryland.  Pretty underrated in IR overall, post-grad placement, and opportunities.  There are so many opportunities in DC that you won't get anywhere else, including potential funding sources.  It is expensive to live there, but unless you have a family, you can make it work. 

1 minute ago, Polysciapplicant21 said:

Any news from MIT, JH SAIS, or Tufts Fletcher?

There has been nothing on MIT that I have seen.  I have been wondering when they may make announcements.  It seemed like there was some question as to how many, if any, admissions they were going to make this year.  It is entirely possible it will be a very small cohort.