2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

11 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

has anyone gotten formal rejections from UCLA and/or NYU yet? aka is there still hope?

I haven't gotten a formal NYU rejection, but I'm not holding my breath for good news

On 2/20/2021 at 2:14 PM, BrownSugar said:

I know it's Saturday and all I can do is just wait, but I am struggling inside to wait patiently for Yale. I am super happy with and thankful for my offers I already have and don't want to come across as anything else. I just really love their program and think I have a really great fit so I'm still super hopeful for some positive news. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to vent my feelings to people I know will understand me :)

It's hard to wait but least you already have incredible/outstanding/amazing/mind-blowing options :) 

Hi all, it's my first time using the forum. Just wanted to say first that I appreciate all the positivity and encouragement I had indirectly received from this place! I hope we all receive good news this week :) 

Besides this, I was wondering if any of you received information regarding funding at OSU already? Last email I received said it would be released last week or early this week.

11 minutes ago, polisci21 said:

Hi all, it's my first time using the forum. Just wanted to say first that I appreciate all the positivity and encouragement I had indirectly received from this place! I hope we all receive good news this week :) 

Besides this, I was wondering if any of you received information regarding funding at OSU already? Last email I received said it would be released last week or early this week.

I haven't yet, but I am expecting it will come soon because of that email and the fact that their virtual visit event is next week!

22 minutes ago, iamlia said:

Hey! Hope everyone gets good news this week!

Someone asked on here a some time ago about the joint social policy program at Harvard but I can't find the message. Did anyone hear from them? 

I had asked about it quite a while ago! I applied but have yet to hear back.

The results page for past applicants seems super limited, so I don't have a clue when to expect to hear anything

I have learned from my POI at Cornell that they can only admit 2 CP people from the pool of over 200 CP applications. That's basically less than 1 percent! This cycle is BRUTAL. I think there's one or two people on this thread who have already claimed the CP acceptances and/or waitlisted. These guys are basically Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark ?

By the way, my POI is not on the adcom, so he had no idea about when the official results would be sent to us, nor can he explicitly tell if I have been rejected ?

Just now, pspr said:

I have learned from my POI at Cornell that they can only admit 2 CP people from the pool of over 200 CP applications. That's basically less than 1 percent! This cycle is BRUTAL. I think there's one or two people on this thread who have already claimed the CP acceptances and/or waitlisted. These guys are basically Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark ?

By the way, my POI is not on the adcom, so he had no idea about when the official results would be sent to us, nor can he explicitly tell if I have been rejected ?

I'm astounded than an Ivy league university department can only offer a spot to 2 CP students, even if it's a pandemic year. Same question for Columbia and UPenn, both of whom didn't admit students to be able to support current students better. Maybe there's something about university funding that I don't get but where do those Ivy league endowments go???

21 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

I'm astounded than an Ivy league university department can only offer a spot to 2 CP students, even if it's a pandemic year. Same question for Columbia and UPenn, both of whom didn't admit students to be able to support current students better. Maybe there's something about university funding that I don't get but where do those Ivy league endowments go???

My understanding is that part of it is money, but part of it is time. Many current PhD students are having to extend their time in program due to Covid-19 - particularly those who have had to put fieldwork on hold. So in addition to funding constraints, some programs aren't taking on a full cohort because they don't want to wind up with too many PhD students in the program at one time and not enough supervisory support to do their current and future students justice. 

29 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

I second @afjackie. Also, it may be in part because these programs are so well resourced and highly respected that they can afford to "take a year off" or scale back to be sure that funding and other resources (time) are best allocated. They can prioritize current students and make sure the program is in order without taking a lasting hit to their reputation or future interest in their program - people will always be interested in a Cornell, Columbia, UPenn, UNC, etc. degree, so they likely won't be dinged long-term for being cautious for a year or two.

1 hour ago, polisci21 said:

Hi. My first time here as well even though I have been lurking for the last couple of weeks or so. I got an email from OSU's Director of the dept. last week informing me that I have been awarded a university fellowship, and that an official letter should come this week but she wanted to congratulate me....

1 hour ago, btermite said:

I had asked about it quite a while ago! I applied but have yet to hear back.

The results page for past applicants seems super limited, so I don't have a clue when to expect to hear anything

Got it, thanks! Yes, there is so little in the results page there's no way to know what to expect... hopefully soon! Good luck :) 

13 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

In that case i think it would be safe to call them up and ask

If it's anything like past years they'll hit you with the vague "not all decisions have been made" line. However, all that really means is they're considering the app for the unfunded MA, not that you're still in the running for the phd.