2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 hour ago, jjiffy said:

Cornell rejection here, also just heard back that OSU put me on their funding wait list. Bummer. Was thinking I was safe with the OSU acceptance. Anybody know when we can expect to hear back from MIT?

1 hour ago, polisci21 said:

Waitlisted for funding at OSU too. CP subfield. I was wondering something... the departmental virtual visit is next week, are we supposed to attend it now? I was excited to go, but now I don't know. Any thoughts on what do you think is the best to do?

When did you get notified for the funding waitlist?

Also + on Cornell rejection.

16 hours ago, Miss Evidence said:

Same here!

Waiting for MIT. Were any of you invited to an interview? I was not. 

No interview at Yale, I don't remember seeing anyone invited but I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Habermas said:

No interview at Yale, I don't remember seeing anyone invited but I could be wrong.

Thank you! No interviews invitation from MIT either? I wasn't invited to any interview from anywhere. I am mostly applying to Public Policy or Government related programs and a few PoliSci ones. Only heard from Yale so far, rejection. Congratulations on your acceptances and good luck on your Harvard pending application!

4 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Also got a rejection from Cornell! I also added my stats etc. to the thread I created for results :)

Hey @BrownSugar, congrats on this cycle. I know this has been litigated already, but I just wanted to add in case one more push could change your calculus. I think turning UChicago for USC is objectively not be the best move. It doesn't matter if you were to teach in the U.S or not, UChicago is arguably a better program and its brand is widely recognized than USC. It will open doors both in academia and industry. Secondly, yes, CA is nice and sunny and all, but this is a decision that will impact your long term career; I will rather go to freezing Chicago if it means I will be able to teach at any of the UC schools and enjoy that weather for the remainder of my career. Also, think about the cost of living in LA, I think Chicago is definitely cheaper which means your stipend will probably go a long way. Anyways, just some points here. If you have truly made your mind, congrats and I wish you the best!

5 minutes ago, PolNerd said:

Hey @BrownSugar, congrats on this cycle. I know this has been litigated already, but I just wanted to add in case one more push could change your calculus. I think turning UChicago for USC is objectively not be the best move. It doesn't matter if you were to teach in the U.S or not, UChicago is arguably a better program and its brand is widely recognized than USC. It will open doors both in academia and industry. Secondly, yes, CA is nice and sunny and all, but this is a decision that will impact your long term career; I will rather go to freezing Chicago if it means I will be able to teach at any of the UC schools and enjoy that weather for the remainder of my career. Also, think about the cost of living in LA, I think Chicago is definitely cheaper which means your stipend will probably go a long way. Anyways, just some points here. If you have truly made your mind, congrats and I wish you the best!

Thank you! I truly appreciate you all taking my best interests into account! I have indeed made up my mind about USC based largely on my experience with its faculty, which seems much more collaborative and supportive which is of utmost importance to me. 

8 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Thank you! I truly appreciate you all taking my best interests into account! I have indeed made up my mind about USC based largely on my experience with its faculty, which seems much more collaborative and supportive which is of utmost importance to me. 

Congrats! Both Chicago and USC a great programs. From what I learn from my prof USC's a great place.

Btw did you receive the USC offer long ago? I applied to USC as well but received nothing so far. Would this means I should assume rejection? Thanks. 

Just now, natpvh72 said:

Congrats! Both Chicago and USC a great programs. From what I learn from my prof USC's a great place.

Btw did you receive the USC offer long ago? I applied to USC as well but received nothing so far. Would this means I should assume rejection? Thanks. 

Thank you! They said decisions would come throughout February so I can't say what to expect honestly. I received my decision weeks ago, informally from my POI. 

1 minute ago, China_IR said:

Sorry to ask again.... But did anyone besides sugar claim the USC acceptance in the result page?

I can't remember if someone claimed it on here. I feel like I saw one. But I know someone else who got his offer just a few days ago (informally). 

8 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Thank you! They said decisions would come throughout February so I can't say what to expect honestly. I received my decision weeks ago, informally from my POI. 

7 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

I can't remember if someone claimed it on here. I feel like I saw one. But I know someone else who got his offer just a few days ago (informally). 

Thanks for the info. USC is one of my favorites so the wait's killing me.

Edit: Just curious. Have you heard USC say anything about the competitiveness this year? Esp. for IR?

Edited by natpvh72

7 minutes ago, natpvh72 said:

Thanks for the info. USC is one of my favorites so the wait's killing me.

Edit: Just curious. Have you heard USC say anything about the competitiveness this year? Esp. for IR?

Nothing sorry. For some reason I think most unis only give statistics in rejections. 

13 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

out of curiosity -- how did the cornell rejection read?

Just a generic rejection, they got 600ish applicants or something. Very boilerplate.

1 hour ago, PolNerd said:

When did you get notified for the funding waitlist?

Also + on Cornell rejection.

I heard at around 11:15 central. They seem to be releasing funding offers slowly over the last couple days.

1 hour ago, StarkDark1 said:

Does anyone know how UBC compares with BU and UC Irvine?  UBC is a top Canadian school but I'm not sure how it translates to a US context.  

Pretty sure on like a greater institutional and global level, UBC is ranked significantly higher than BU and UC Irvine (at least according to QS). I know they have a really strong political science dept as well and I think it would be worth seriously looking into who is working there. They might have some great names in your particular subfield which would likely hold some more weight as well when you hit the job market if end up working w them

22 hours ago, suovren said:

Claiming a waitlist from Stanford

Congrats on the waitlist -- in usual times, this would likely be an acceptance. They are just really being careful with funding this year. Depending on your subfield, it could work out!