2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, gbheron said:

So are we just going to be waiting for MIT rejections now or is there any hope of more admits?

I feel like if i was accepted my POI wouldve definitely reached out to me first... so im just assuming rejection 

As my pursuit of a PhD comes to an end, I still feel like I owe my recommenders a bit of gratitude.  Did anyone on the forum provide gifts to their recommenders and, if so, what did you send?  It is a little bit more difficult with most faculty and coworkers operating from home.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

10 minutes ago, The Converse said:

As my pursuit of a PhD comes to an end, I still feel like I owe my recommenders a bit of gratitude.  Did anyone on the forum provide gifts to their recommenders and, if so, what did you send?  It is a little bit more difficult with most faculty and coworkers operating from home.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

This is something I've also been giving a lot of thought to. I've decided on a gift card somewhere local that I can send via email. That way I don't have to worry about being a creep asking for home addresses lol. Now what kind of place, I'm not sure yet. I would normally do a restaurant or similar but I don't know everyone's comfort level with going out to eat or even doing takeout because of COVID. Basically, if you (or anyone else!) have any ideas, please share away!

14 minutes ago, The Converse said:

I was very close with my faculty recommenders so I purchased the gifts online (Amazon, Store Websites) and mailed them to their home address (that might be more of a SLAC teaching thing though -- faculty often invited students in their homes for dinner and game nights in my major). I think another option is sending something to their campus address (if the university campus is still receiving packages/open) and letting them know.

Edited by icemanyeo

2 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

I was very close with my faculty recommenders so I purchased the gifts online (Amazon, Store Websites) and mailed them to their home address (that might be more of a SLAC teaching thing though -- faculty often invited students in their homes for dinner and game nights in my major). I think another option is sending something to their campus address (if the university campus is still receiving packages/open) and letting them know.

That's actually really sweet! Just curious, what sorts of gifts did you send? 

Just now, icemanyeo said:

I sent them traditional art pieces from my home country that they could hang at home or in their office.

That’s awesome. I just got little keychains and I’ll do a thank you note with them I guess. I’m still an undergrad so I don’t wanna do too much because I don’t want them getting uncomfortable or anything! 

Firstly, congratulations to everyone who managed to get admissions during this brutal application cycle. As said before numerous times, not getting an admission is not an indicator of one's abilities since there are so many variables included in this selection process.

As we're approaching to the end of this year's decision timeline, I wanted to ask to those of you who got multiple offers, how do you plan to decline the other offers you managed to get? What kind of email structure do you plan to use? Luckily, I was offered a spot at multiple institutions and I have been in contact with POIs in many of these places, I am not sure how to approach to the POIs with an intention of rejecting their offers. 

Open to all suggestions. 

5 minutes ago, baby__yoda said:

+1 to this question. One program has had 3 professors and 2 graduate students reach out to offer congratulations and speak with me about the program, do I have to email all the professors (I’m not really as concerned with graduate students) individually to let them know I won’t be attending once I finally decline my offer with the grad office? 

I feel like that would be appropriate as to not burn bridges, but I’m unsure if this is standard. 

I got into two programs and I plan on declining both.  I have not applied before, but based on my business experience, I think it is dependent on the situation.  In my personal circumstance, I have spoken with a few professors, but my plan is to email the department heads and a faculty member that I really connected with.  I am not sure what your aspirations are, but if you are concerned with 'burning a bridge' it never hurts to send an email.  I would keep the emails relatively succinct and somewhat tailored to whom you spoke to.  Having gotten several rejections, I am most burned by the boilerplate, zero effort emails.  If you go that route, you are doing more harm than good.  However, if you are willing to make a few passing references to your conversation with them, they will probably appreciate the sentiments.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

Firstly, congratulations to everyone who managed to get admissions during this brutal application cycle. As said before numerous times, not getting an admission is not an indicator of one's abilities since there are so many variables included in this selection process.

As we're approaching to the end of this year's decision timeline, I wanted to ask to those of you who got multiple offers, how do you plan to decline the other offers you managed to get? What kind of email structure do you plan to use? Luckily, I was offered a spot at multiple institutions and I have been in contact with POIs in many of these places, I am not sure how to approach to the POIs with an intention of rejecting their offers. 

Open to all suggestions. 

Your POIs will almost certainly be understanding, and if they're not, that's even better evidence that you've made the right decision. I would recommend sending them a short email saying some like "I've appreciated our conversations, but I have decided that "X" is the best choice for me. I hope we can stay in touch." Maybe personalize it a bit more, but that's essentially what I would/will say. 

5 hours ago, mmads said:

This is something I've also been giving a lot of thought to. I've decided on a gift card somewhere local that I can send via email. That way I don't have to worry about being a creep asking for home addresses lol. Now what kind of place, I'm not sure yet. I would normally do a restaurant or similar but I don't know everyone's comfort level with going out to eat or even doing takeout because of COVID. Basically, if you (or anyone else!) have any ideas, please share away!

Just want to chime in that you don't have to do this, and those who aren't in a position to do so shouldn't feel any pressure to do this. A kind email and an update on your plans is usually enough. Remember that for your profs this is a part of their job, and it should be something they're happy to do (obviously this depends on how well they know you). I'm not saying you *shouldn't* give gifts if you want to, but it's not the norm, and shouldn't be in my opinion.

4 hours ago, pspr said:

Congrats to all the MIT admits!

On the other hand, it seems Harvard is going to be a grand finale for many people in this cycle! Apart from the two results on the result page, has anyone heard anything from them?  

Yeah, I kind of want to get rejected at once just to get this whole cycle over with!

On 2/5/2021 at 6:52 PM, SPN123 said:

If anyone is applying to the PhD in Conflict Resolution and Analysis at George Mason, I got the following email upon inquiry:

georgemason.JPG

Has anyone recieved a response from GM yet? Does anyone know their acceptance rate/ how competitive their PhD program is? I've been having trouble gauging if I should be hopeful. ?

2 minutes ago, The Converse said:

Were you emailed about this?  I am sorry to hear about the lack of acceptances.  Do you have anything pending?

Yes, I was, about 30 minutes ago. 

Not in the US. I didn't really have time to apply to more than 5 places this year, because I was juggling being an undergraduate amidst a pandemic haha.

I do have backup options though, and will try again next year having learned from this process and worked a little longer on my applications. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back and everyone trying again next year!

34 minutes ago, comradecommissar said:

Claiming a Waitlist at MIT. That's 3/5 Waitlists, at NYU, Princeton and MIT, and no acceptances. So close, yet so far...

Many of us would like to switch places with you! ? 

If you don't mind, when exactly did you receive MIT's response about you being on the waitlist? MIT was my top priority and the only one where my POI clearly stated that he would recommend my admission to the committee. But at this point my hopes are almost gone. ?