2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 hour ago, pspr said:

Harvard has just responded to my email of inquiry! It is a generic rejection, of course, but a very polite one. The email says that "notifications are being sent just now by the Graduate School" (but I haven't received any tho) and that "there were 588 applications under consideration for an incoming class of eight." 

588... for a class of 8 ...that is INSANE. 

For those who got in: a very, very big congrats!! This finally marks the end of this cycle for me!   

Hey! Sorry to hear that. Was that for the Government program, or which one? And sorry for asking, but did you get the email because you asked, or you just received a notification? My portal hasn't updated and I'm not getting any emails whatsoever, so I'm really nervous.
The numbers are really crazy. Hope you got into a program you liked!

34 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

I'll just emphasize that the application process is truly messy. It's possible you did nothing wrong at all and simply was rejected. Even the most qualified applicants should count themselves lucky to get into MIT and many do not get in. That's unsatisfying of course but if you apply to more programs next year you'll increase your odds. I understand your apprehension about coming to the US but, despite all the difficulties, things are great her. In my opinion at least.

What do you all think?

Yes there is division these days and many things I don't like, but at least it's true that in any phd program you'll find like-minded, curious, intelligent, and brilliant people. I also find that the division is exaggerated - most normal people get along just fine in spite of political differences. Everything is blown up on the news but you could really come here and make a great life for yourself (I think).

Thanks for the insights ! Yup could be a straight rejection and that'd be fine as well... my transcripts came in really, really late so it probably did not help. Reality is that's a rejection, and I have to prepare for next year more properly.

Oh, I have been thinking about going to the US for study for a long, long time ; I am sure starting my adult life over there would be fulfilling and eye opening. It was not really a question of politics or values, more a comparison with the quality of life here in Montréal. I do not think there is a better student city in the world than MTL from the cost of living to the sheer diversity in people that can be met and things that can be done, experienced. I have ambitions as a researcher so obviously I think a Ph.D from the US is necessary, but with COVID and the political divisions in the US, Montréal had an appeal that made me reconsider If I should apply for 2021. I applied but not fully committed, so I am eager to try again next year with 15+ schools.

9 minutes ago, iamlia said:

Hey! Sorry to hear that. Was that for the Government program, or which one? And sorry for asking, but did you get the email because you asked, or you just received a notification? My portal hasn't updated and I'm not getting any emails whatsoever, so I'm really nervous.
The numbers are really crazy. Hope you got into a program you liked!

Yup it is for PhD in Government. I emailed to ask yesterday morning, and got this reply today! I guess the batch of rejections are coming soon (my portal remains the same at the moment). I guess it’s because I asked the coordinator, so he got back with the decision! 

This could also very well mean that the methods and theory acceptances on the result page are real. 

1 minute ago, OttoTheOrange said:

Hey everyone- did anyone else apply to UConn? I haven't heard a thing- from them or on here- and they're the last school I'm realistically waiting on. Has anyone heard anything?

I just broke down and emailed the department, because I was wondering the same thing! I will let you know what I hear back from them. 

26 minutes ago, pspr said:

Yup it is for PhD in Government. I emailed to ask yesterday morning, and got this reply today! I guess the batch of rejections are coming soon (my portal remains the same at the moment). I guess it’s because I asked the coordinator, so he got back with the decision! 

This could also very well mean that the methods and theory acceptances on the result page are real. 

Thank you! I’m actually waiting on the Social Policy + Government program but someone on here was accepted yesterday so I guess it’s the same as you say and the rejection is taking longer to arrive... thanks though!

Now that it seems that the CHYMPS offers are all or mostly out, I'm wondering how many people got offers at multiple tip-top schools. Some posters have clearly claimed acceptances at top schools amidst many other rejections, so now I'm wondering if anyone here has "swept." 

Also, if you don't want to out yourself, feel free to dm me because I'd love to know about your experience and what drove your success :)

10 minutes ago, plus said:

Perhaps in other years. I doubt many had something like 4 or 5 CHYMPS offers.

yeah i've read every damn page of this thread and i can't think of anyone. people who i seriously thought would sweep this year (here and irl) have like 1 CHYMPS offer. unforunately i'm not very hopeful for waitlist offers, if there aren't a ton of cross-admits, yield is going to be insane everywhere. 

Edited by BunniesInSpace

22 hours ago, The Converse said:

As my pursuit of a PhD comes to an end, I still feel like I owe my recommenders a bit of gratitude.  Did anyone on the forum provide gifts to their recommenders and, if so, what did you send?  It is a little bit more difficult with most faculty and coworkers operating from home.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I sent mine virtual gift cards from Starbucks. Just $5 each to show my appreciation  

Received a waitlist from Harvard Govt ~3hrs ago. Theory subfield.

Utterly surprised and a bit at sea right now, since I was rejected by every other school except for Northwestern, which is a great school and a fantastic fit for me. I have already begun communicating with students at NW, getting their advice on studying and living in Chicago etc.

I am more than happy doing my doctorate at NW, but now knowing that "in an ordinary year" I could be getting into Harvard, I am wondering if I should do my masters first and reapply in another cycle? 

So I guess I am asking if there is really a chance to get off the waitlist at Harvard and if ppl who are accepted into Harvard theory could lmk if they're accepting? Many thanks and any suggestions from all of y'all would be appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

Utterly surprised and a bit at sea right now, since I was rejected by every other school except for Northwestern, which is a great school and a fantastic fit for me. I have already begun communicating with students at NW, getting their advice on studying and living in Chicago etc.

I am more than happy doing my doctorate at NW, but now knowing that "in an ordinary year" I could be getting into Harvard, I am wondering if I should do my masters first and reapply in another cycle? 

So I guess I am asking if there is really a chance to get off the waitlist at Harvard and if ppl who are accepted into Harvard theory could lmk if they're accepting? Many thanks and any suggestions from all of y'all would be appreciated. 

Go to Northwestern. You really don't want to miss out on that opportunity based upon the possible but by no means guaranteed chance you'd get into Harvard in a normal year. Certainly, there is no harm in hoping you'd get off the waitlist this year (who knows what would happen? And I presume your chances of getting off the waitlist is greater than the initial chance of even getting on the waitlist). But Northwestern is a very good program, especially for theory, that consistently places its students in great TT positions after graduation. Also would you be commuting to Evanston from Chicago? If I recall correctly, Evanston is an hour from Chicago proper, so the vibes would probably be quite different.

Edited by Muan1

5 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

Go to Northwestern. 

Could you perhaps elaborate on your reasons? 

Just wanna add that I am not implying that one of the programs is definitely better than the other, there's so many different factors going into it depending on particular research interests. I am more concerned with the difference in career prospect - esp with how bad the academic market generally is and will be, I have to also think about if a doctorate from Harvard opens more doors in the future.

37 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

The application process is messy and trust me there is zero guarantee that you would have gotten into Harvard had you applied next year. Whether or not you get in depends on if a faculty member happens to have sufficiently overlapping interests with you and if that faculty member has space/capacity to take on a new phd student. It also depends on who is reviewing applications that particular year. Since you did not get admission to several other competitive programs, I would for sure count myself lucky and wait it out for Harvard. If you get into Harvard then that's amazing, but if you don't you should definitely go to Northwestern. The idea that you would have gotten in in a normal year year because you were waitlisted during covid does not make much sense to me. If you don't get off the waitlist, go to Northwester.

26 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

there is no harm in hoping you'd get off the waitlist this year (who knows what would happen? And I presume your chances of getting off the waitlist is greater than the initial chance of even getting on the waitlist)

That is certainly true. if 2020 taught us anything it's there's no guarantee how much worse it could get... but still, can't seem to shake the terrible feeling called hope lol. 

27 minutes ago, Muan1 said:

If I recall correctly, Evanston is an hour from Chicago proper, so the vibes would probably be quite different.

I haven't decided but my partner is at Uchicago, so I might not live in Evanston.

9 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

That is certainly true. if 2020 taught us anything it's there's no guarantee how much worse it could get... but still, can't seem to shake the terrible feeling called hope lol. 

I haven't decided but my partner is at Uchicago, so I might not live in Evanston.

Right, you correctly identified a possible complication: next year's admissions prospects might even get worse. But it also might get better. But the fact that this is an uncertainty should convince you about why it might be incorrect in not entering a PhD program this year on the off (maybe off-off-off) chance you get into Harvard the next year. Moreover, plenty of folks who get waitlisted from a top program one year when reapplying the next year do not get in. Perhaps the faculty on adcom reading theory apps won't be the same next year, or perhaps there might be a candidate next year whom they prefer more. Who knows? Your safest best is to go with Northwestern in the here and now. Yes, of course the Harvard name brand carries some weight when it comes to hiring decisions, but Northwestern is not chopped liver, and what is more decisive is the quality of your research and the strength of your mentorship relationship (not to mention the reputation of the mentor itself). NW does not lack on any of these fronts: depending on what your interests are, plenty of great theorists to work with at Northwestern. Monoson and Dietz immediately pop up in my mind, and Monoson as I understand has a lot of diverse eclectic interests that span the history of political thought.

I'm sorry for the aporetic quality of my advice. But these are the questions that I genuinely would be thinking about if I were lucky enough to be in your position. Hope this helped -- best wishes. 

Edited by Muan1