2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Thanks to all the help above. I think they all make a lot of sense and I will be talking to more people incl my advisors etc. 

Just as clarification, that "in an ordinary year" I would get an acceptance instead of wl is what the chair stated in the email to me. I would not presume to be able to get an acceptance for sure. 

I don't actually mind doing a MA because I am still waiting on the MPhil at Oxford, where I did a year abroad and had wonderful relationships with several professors. If funding turns out to be not a huge problem, I absolutely love the faculty and program at Oxford and will not be sad that I have to do a MA first. 

Hey all! For anyone still waiting on USC, I sent an email today asking about the status of my application and I got a generic email with the following information back:

• Almost 200 applications received, 18 offers made
  • Successful candidates were notified by email on Sunday, February 21
  • Decisions were input into the system on Tuesday, February 23 and will take between 48-72 hours to show up

As a result, those of us who haven't heard back can likely anticipate a reject. But keep your heads up and best of luck for any other applications you have pending!

2 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

Thanks to all the help above. I think they all make a lot of sense and I will be talking to more people incl my advisors etc. 

Just as clarification, that "in an ordinary year" I would get an acceptance instead of wl is what the chair stated in the email to me. I would not presume to be able to get an acceptance for sure. 

I don't actually mind doing a MA because I am still waiting on the MPhil at Oxford, where I did a year abroad and had wonderful relationships with several professors. If funding turns out to be not a huge problem, I absolutely love the faculty and program at Oxford and will not be sad that I have to do a MA first. 

Yes, depending on your research interests, Oxford might be a better place to study, and you could easily stay on via the DPhil. Although the funding is in general a ton iffier than in the states, however the importance of this really depends upon the person. 

25 minutes ago, kongnamul said:

Hey all! For anyone still waiting on USC, I sent an email today asking about the status of my application and I got a generic email with the following information back:

• Decisions were input into the system on Tuesday, February 23 and will take between 48-72 hours to show up

As a result, those of us who haven't heard back can likely anticipate a reject. But keep your heads up and best of luck for any other applications you have pending!

So no waiting list? I was rejected knowing by contacting POI ysd.

6 minutes ago, China_IR said:

So no waiting list? I was rejected knowing by contacting POI ysd.

Darn, sorry to hear :( I also applied hoping to do Asian IR stuff so I'm pretty bummed out too.

As for the waitlist, they didn't mention anything about it in their email at least... unless anyone else has heard otherwise?

Edited by kongnamul
can't english

4 hours ago, kongnamul said:

I second this. I got the same email as well.

Tbh I thought USC was going to take much fewer people.

7 hours ago, verschiedene said:

Ok different story. I understand that's a hard choice.

1 hour ago, XXXXbe1 said:

I received a notification from Vanderbilt today that I was kicked out of a short waitlist and was rejected. The reason is due to the limited offers, they need to first statisfy the research interests of more senior professors. Sad but anyway, not so bad because I was considered.

Gosh I’m sorry that you had to go through that rollercoaster!

7 hours ago, XXXXbe1 said:

I received a notification from Vanderbilt today that I was kicked out of a short waitlist and was rejected. The reason is due to the limited offers, they need to first statisfy the research interests of more senior professors. Sad but anyway, not so bad because I was considered.

I am so sorry this happened to you. Congrats on being considered in this crazy cycle. 

May I ask what is your subfield?

21 hours ago, OttoTheOrange said:

Hey everyone- did anyone else apply to UConn? I haven't heard a thing- from them or on here- and they're the last school I'm realistically waiting on. Has anyone heard anything?

21 hours ago, insightfulramblings said:

I just broke down and emailed the department, because I was wondering the same thing! I will let you know what I hear back from them. 

I applied to this program as well. Haven't heard anything. I did get a fully funded offer from UConn Comms program. There were Professors in both departments that could support my interests, so I went for it.  Crossing my fingers for us all!

Claiming a CUNY Graduate Center admission (Masters). Theory subfield. 

SO EXCITED! My top choice school. 

Good luck to everyone waiting, and while I don't post often here this community has been a huge help to me. 

18 minutes ago, foucaultscat said:

Claiming a CUNY Graduate Center admission (Masters). Theory subfield. 

SO EXCITED! My top choice school. 

Good luck to everyone waiting, and while I don't post often here this community has been a huge help to me. 

Congrats!! Did you apply to the Master's or to the Ph.D. as well? Did you have an interview?
CUNY is such a great school! I don't know where you're located, but if you're outside of NYC, welcome to the city!!! 

With silence from Harvard, I think its safe to presume my cycle is over. A big thank you to everyone on this forum that made this community such a great place for support and info over these past few months. Best of luck to those still waiting on results. Congratulations to everyone, we should be proud of our efforts regardless of the outcomes as this was a crazy ride.

Emailed Maryland asking for when decisions will come out and they told me I was waitlisted!

If anybody here is AP and got an acceptance and not planning on going please decline!

22 minutes ago, spotted said:

Emailed Maryland asking for when decisions will come out and they told me I was waitlisted!

If anybody here is AP and got an acceptance and not planning on going please decline!

Literally in the exact same boat but for CP- if you got accepted and have better options  please please let them know as soon as you're confident in your choice ? 

10 minutes ago, antiq said:

@smug-face Congratulations! When did you receive the phone call (or the email asking for your number)? I'm wondering if they're calling one by one or if the ship has sailed. And do you by any chance know anything on how many people ate admitted this year? :)

Thank you! It was about noon ET when I got the email. No mention of how many were admitted, sorry!

On 2/26/2021 at 1:06 AM, smug-face said:

Got into Chicago Harris! I'm over the moon -- such a great way to end the cycle

9 minutes ago, smug-face said:

Thank you! It was about noon ET when I got the email. No mention of how many were admitted, sorry!

Thanks for the info! Such a relief it must be. Well, then, I guess, do you have any tips for the applicants next year?:) Did you contact any faculty before applying? Or did you do anything else that you think carried you up in the ranking?