2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

3 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

There's the Harvard rejection. 

Sorry to hear... did you get an email? I'm anxiously refreshin inbox and portal and nothing... I assume at this point it's a rejection but I still need to see it with my own eyes to believe it!!
And I hope you got in somewhere you liked :)

Just now, iamlia said:

Sorry to hear... did you get an email? I'm anxiously refreshin inbox and portal and nothing... I assume at this point it's a rejection but I still need to see it with my own eyes to believe it!!
And I hope you got in somewhere you liked :)

Yes, email to check the portal. Standard boilerplate rejection message. They took in a total of 8 students this year across subfields, so I'm really not surprised. Quite a tough year to apply.

All things considered, I'm happy with the acceptances and waitlists I do have, given how much luck was involved in this cycle. Good luck to you as well :) 

1 minute ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Yes, email to check the portal. Standard boilerplate rejection message. They took in a total of 8 students this year across subfields, so I'm really not surprised. Quite a tough year to apply.

All things considered, I'm happy with the acceptances and waitlists I do have, given how much luck was involved in this cycle. Good luck to you as well :) 

Thank you! I applied to the joint program actually, but someone in here claimed an acceptance last week so I'm sure it's a rejection, I just need to see it! I emailed them asking, because I was missing the English proficiency scores but they said they'd consider my application anyway... I just want the closure lol
Congrats on your acceptances indeed!! Crazy year and to get in is a huge achievement! 

Btw, for those on this forum like me who haven't heard back from UCLA yet, I emailed them to check and they said they are slowly mailing out the notifications and we can expect to hear back by next week at the latest. It's mostly likely a rejection, but in case someone was holding out for UCLA thought I'd pass this information along.

Hey all! Have a tricky question, which i'm not sure if anyone encountered before. I actually have two virtual visits with one day overlapped. Any tips on how to manage the time conflict issue? I don't think either univ is gonna change the tentative schedule as there are many stakeholders (faculty member, prospective students, current PhDs, etc.) involved. 

Hello, does anyone here know what kind of financial aid the UChicago CIR program provides? Do they offer stipends over and above the tuition waiver (if at all)?

Just now, SanC said:

Hello, does anyone here know what kind of financial aid the UChicago CIR program provides? Do they offer stipends over and above the tuition waiver (if at all)?

MAPSS and CIR will offer partial or full tuition (I've seen 1/3, 2/3, 1/2, and full tuition packages), but do not offer stipends. Precisely my problem, as it's still extremely expensive in Chicago even without tuition. They said most students will work 5-10 hours a week and can serve as RAs, but it's up to you how you go about getting income outside of the program. 

Just now, gradpumpkin said:

MAPSS and CIR will offer partial or full tuition (I've seen 1/3, 2/3, 1/2, and full tuition packages), but do not offer stipends. Precisely my problem, as it's still extremely expensive in Chicago even without tuition. They said most students will work 5-10 hours a week and can serve as RAs, but it's up to you how you go about getting income outside of the program. 

Hyde Park (where UChicago is located) is actually pretty affordable (can get a very decent room for 500-600$) and you can probably cover your rent + living by working as an RA or TA or some administrative position for about 10-15 hours a week.

Just now, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Hyde Park (where UChicago is located) is actually pretty affordable (can get a very decent room for 500-600$) and you can probably cover your rent + living by working as an RA or TA or some administrative position for about 10-15 hours a week.

That's great to know! I haven't heard back but I'm kinda debating between a program like MAPSS (only IF I got full tuition) and a MA doctoral gateway program at a substantially lower-ranked school that gives you full tuition and stipend. Any thoughts? 

Just now, gradpumpkin said:

That's great to know! I haven't heard back but I'm kinda debating between a program like MAPSS (only IF I got full tuition) and a MA doctoral gateway program at a substantially lower-ranked school that gives you full tuition and stipend. Any thoughts? 

I would say that the MAPSS or CIR would probably be a better gateway to a PhD program (based on their placement record). Since they're both pretty competitive MA programs that seems to signal well to PhD committees that you are by default a competitive candidate. My two cents here would be - if UChicago gives you even a 2/3rds ride, strongly consider going, because you can work to pay off rent, and so the differential you might have to taken on in terms of debt should be small. Then again, I'm not familiar with your financial situation and if any debt at all is a bad idea, I would completely understand why it's not an option. But if I were optimizing primarily on admissions chances in the next cycle, I would pick the Chicago MA programs with a small amount of debt (nothing over 1/3rd of tuition) over a lower-ranked fully-funded program.

Hi everyone! Has anyone received any news from LSE-Sciences Po dual-degree program? It has been completely radio-silent for me since January:( 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, loiewo said:

Did anyone apply to University of Houston? And if so have you heard anything? thanks!

I did, and I have not heard anything. I am also waiting on North Texas, New Mexico, South Carolina, and Texas Tech. Has anyone heard anything from them?

3 hours ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

I would say that the MAPSS or CIR would probably be a better gateway to a PhD program (based on their placement record). Since they're both pretty competitive MA programs that seems to signal well to PhD committees that you are by default a competitive candidate. My two cents here would be - if UChicago gives you even a 2/3rds ride, strongly consider going, because you can work to pay off rent, and so the differential you might have to taken on in terms of debt should be small. Then again, I'm not familiar with your financial situation and if any debt at all is a bad idea, I would completely understand why it's not an option. But if I were optimizing primarily on admissions chances in the next cycle, I would pick the Chicago MA programs with a small amount of debt (nothing over 1/3rd of tuition) over a lower-ranked fully-funded program.

Would you say the same if instead of the lower-ranked fully-funded MA program, it was a mid-ranked fully-funded PhD program? (Think Rice and Austin, since I'm waitlisted here and I've been thinking about what to do).

4 hours ago, cheetah said:

Hey all! Have a tricky question, which i'm not sure if anyone encountered before. I actually have two virtual visits with one day overlapped. Any tips on how to manage the time conflict issue? I don't think either univ is gonna change the tentative schedule as there are many stakeholders (faculty member, prospective students, current PhDs, etc.) involved. 

This also applies to me! Now I'm wondering if we've been accepted in the same two departments hahaha. I was actually hoping that the schedules would not overlap too much (my two are in different time zones), so that I would attend the sections that interest me.

In other news, finally got my rejection from Harvard! It was in the spam folder, of course. So, officially, my cycle is over.

4 hours ago, Barry B. Benson said:

This also applies to me! Now I'm wondering if we've been accepted in the same two departments hahaha. I was actually hoping that the schedules would not overlap too much (my two are in different time zones), so that I would attend the sections that interest me.

In other news, finally got my rejection from Harvard! It was in the spam folder, of course. So, officially, my cycle is over.

What schools are you considering, if I may ask?

6 hours ago, nivy25 said:

OMG I AM ACTUALLY SO HAPPY FOR YOU! 

How do you feel about this?

Really excited! I love Montreal (and grew up as a native French speaker, so excited to be back in that environment) -- the faculty seem very supportive, and they have broad expertise in the research I want to do (LAC, ethnic conflict/nationalism). And to top it off, I already have an established support network since many family members + friends live in the city, so I won't have to brave the cold alone.

4 hours ago, BrownSugar said:

I am sooooo happy for you!!! Congrats :) 

thank you ☺️