2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

13 hours ago, Angelo X said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing! Quick question, how do you think about doing a Political Science PhD in Australia?

I am an international student who got rejected by almost every U.S. program I applied to. I plan to take a gap year to reapply to U.S. programs, but my families suggest that I should join ANU. Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!?

If your research is focused on Asia-Pacific and you are planning on working at Asian universities (Taiwan, China, Singapore) then ANU is a really good option. I know several scholars (recent grads) who received their degrees there. I can't speak to the US academic market value of ANU though!

On 3/3/2021 at 11:18 PM, gradpumpkin said:

That's great to know! I haven't heard back but I'm kinda debating between a program like MAPSS (only IF I got full tuition) and a MA doctoral gateway program at a substantially lower-ranked school that gives you full tuition and stipend. Any thoughts? 

Hope you don't mind me asking but which schools run MA doctoral gateway progs with full-tuition?

Edited by defcaffeinated

49 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

If your research is focused on Asia-Pacific and you are planning on working at Asian universities (Taiwan, China, Singapore) then ANU is a really good option. I know several scholars (recent grads) who received their degrees there. I can't speak to the US academic market value of ANU though!

True! I would also add Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia to your list as well. 

In terms of US market, I've noticed a few people working in the US graduated from ANU. But I think it is harder (of course not impossible) to get an academic job in the US with any non-US PhD, whether from Australia or anywhere else.

Btw congratulations on your acceptance to Concordia!! I'm not too active in the forum but I know you've been a positive force here. Makes me happy to see a helpful and positive person like you get accepted. You surely earned it :) 

Just now, Polysciapplicant21 said:

Anyone heard from JH SAIS for PhD programs? Looks like some Masters results are coming in today

I think they will publish their result on March 26.

3 hours ago, defcaffeinated said:

Hope you don't mind me asking but which schools run MA doctoral gateway progs with full-tuition?

Most of the ones I have seen are for URMs but if you search for Gateway to the Doctorate programs there are quite a few! They seem like really good opportunities and are a good signal to adcomms that you're targeting your development specifically towards the PhD. 

29 minutes ago, Professoreire said:

For the person accepted to CUNY. What was your subfield? I also had a long interview but no word yet. Also have a few offers from other universities but plan on rescinding them if get good news from CUNY

Hi! I'm in the same boat, had a long interview and it seemed it had been great (plus I had thought the interview meant we were basically in) but haven't heard back yet... I only applied to three programs and I've already had a rejection, the other one seems to be a rejection as well, and CUNY was my top choice too... I talked to someone here who had been accepted a few days after the interview, I think their subfield was IR (mine too)... so I don't know what to think. What's your subfield? 

13 minutes ago, iamlia said:

Hi! I'm in the same boat, had a long interview and it seemed it had been great (plus I had thought the interview meant we were basically in) but haven't heard back yet... I only applied to three programs and I've already had a rejection, the other one seems to be a rejection as well, and CUNY was my top choice too... I talked to someone here who had been accepted a few days after the interview, I think their subfield was IR (mine too)... so I don't know what to think. What's your subfield? 

45 minutes ago, Professoreire said:

For the person accepted to CUNY. What was your subfield? I also had a long interview but no word yet. Also have a few offers from other universities but plan on rescinding them if get good news from CUNY

Wow that was fast. Just received an email of rejection. It says that because I don't have an MA in Political Science they can only offer me admission to the Master's, and that I should be getting an offer soon. 

Hope you have better luck!

Just wanted to say I've enjoyed being on this forum.  Thank you all for being so supportive! This place has been a haven amid all the stress and anxiety.

I'm still waiting on a couple of programs I'm interested in (Michigan and UBC).  I also have a UCI acceptance, so at this point I know I'll be going to one of these 3 schools.  It might take a month to hear back from the waitlist though, so I'll be bowing out. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone chatting about CUNY. I have received an email a couple of days after the interview (although the interviewer told me that it might takes weeks). I am offered full funding for five years (IR), and intend to accept, but I would like to first attend an upcoming 'Welcome' workshop to learn more about procedures. I appreciate the offer and the overall approach of the CUNY (they were incredibly supportive from the very beginning of the admission cycle) but still wondering how to manage finances in NY (*I am an international candidate). I would love to hear your thoughts on my options to apply for a part time job during the first year (up to 20 hours per week on F1 visa), and whether I should reach them to ask for such opportunity? I already have a graduate degree and 5+ years of research/teaching experience, so would look for a balance between working and studying (quite natural for the background I come from).

Overall, a couple of questions to figure out before officially responding, but not sure if I come up with each toward the GC? Appreciate your comments! :)

p.s. Since I am going to be in the city on another academic program by the end of March, I wonder is it unusual to ask if I can visit the school in person, to feel vibes and basically get insight on how everything works. Although I've been to NYC before, it is quite difficult to judge from the Ocean across. :D

Edited by acimova

2 hours ago, iamlia said:

Wow that was fast. Just received an email of rejection. It says that because I don't have an MA in Political Science they can only offer me admission to the Master's, and that I should be getting an offer soon. 

Hope you have better luck!

3 hours ago, Professoreire said:

Hi, my subfield is IS. I had an interview on Feb 25, and three days after received a formal invitation, after which I got a funding offer as well. Please keep in mind that I was told not to be surprised if don't hear from them in weeks. Luckily I did, but it does not mean it is the same for all. Fingers crossed! 

p.s. I have posted a comment bellow (forgot to quote) for more and few of questions that I am looking to answer. Thanks :)

45 minutes ago, TheLifeofBrian said:

Congrats! Have you heard anything from UConn?

Thanks, and nothing yet about UConn, but someone emailed the department, and they answer that the decisions will be sent in mid-March.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:23 PM, Polysciapplicant21 said:

Any news from MIT, JH SAIS, or Tufts Fletcher?

Heard back from Tufts today, they gave me an offer of admission to the Econ/Public Policy PhD program.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, acimova said:

Hi everyone chatting about CUNY. I have received an email a couple of days after the interview (although the interviewer told me that it might takes weeks). I am offered full funding for five years (IR), and intend to accept, but I would like to first attend an upcoming 'Welcome' workshop to learn more about procedures. I appreciate the offer and the overall approach of the CUNY (they were incredibly supportive from the very beginning of the admission cycle) but still wondering how to manage finances in NY (*I am an international candidate). I would love to hear your thoughts on my options to apply for a part time job during the first year (up to 20 hours per week on F1 visa), and whether I should reach them to ask for such opportunity? I already have a graduate degree and 5+ years of research/teaching experience, so would look for a balance between working and studying (quite natural for the background I come from).

Overall, a couple of questions to figure out before officially responding, but not sure if I come up with each toward the GC? Appreciate your comments! :)

p.s. Since I am going to be in the city on another academic program by the end of March, I wonder is it unusual to ask if I can visit the school in person, to feel vibes and basically get insight on how everything works. Although I've been to NYC before, it is quite difficult to judge from the Ocean across. :D

I can chime in quickly -- You cannot work off-campus as an international student during your first year (and you have to apply for a special permit from DHS to work off-campus that requires "experiencing financial hardship" in subsequent years). There might be some RA opportunities available with professors in the department, but I'm not too sure how that would work. You can always reach out to inquire!

Last time I lived in New York to do research, I stayed at International House NYC (cheapest room was $1200). I would contact CUNY to see if they have any graduate housing, but rent is pretty expensive in general and you most likely will have to find roommates. If you don't mind long commutes, you could probably find a basement to rent in Queens for about $1000. 

My other advice is:

(a) take full advantage of pantries and other services that provide basic meal needs to stretch your funds. there might also be some mutual aid programs in your area that are worth looking into as well.

(b) if you commute in public transport, buy the $132 unlimited monthly pass. Using it at least twice a day will make you break even, and you save money if you use it more often.

(c) food shop in bulk at Costco if you can afford the membership, it's worth it.

2 hours ago, Krea96 said:

Hey, guys! Got my acceptance to Keough School of Global Affairs at Notre Dame, the sustainable development specialization. Full tuition off & stipend! As an international student, this is great news for me. 

You got full tuition and stipend for the MA? As an international? Amazing!

Hi everyone, my cycle's officially over & I want to thank you all for making this space so helpful and supportive throughout the stressful process! (even tho I mostly just read your posts) I'm now planning to start at NYU in the fall (CP/methods) and focus on internet/social media politics & political movements. If you're considering NYU, have similar interests, or want to freak out over grad school, feel free to dm :))

On 3/6/2021 at 2:49 AM, gradinho said:

How did you do to carry loads of bags? Did you take Ubers for grocery shopping?

my situation was pretty unique in that I had friends with cars, so I bribed them with food from the costco food center to take me there.