2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 hour ago, foucaultscat said:

Claiming a New School for Social Research (NSSR) acceptance. Applied for the master's program, offered full tuition in master's and PhD programs- 7 years of support. Waiting for details on CUNY offer (accepted but haven't received official offer from admissions), not totally sure what I will do. Unreal! Very happy.  

Congrats! That’s amazing! How were you told? I applied to the PhD and I think they said we’d hear back on the 15th, but I’m checking my emails and portal every day... was wondering if someone reached out to you or if it was a generic email? Thanks :)

12 minutes ago, hannahbananapie said:

Congrats! That’s amazing! How were you told? I applied to the PhD and I think they said we’d hear back on the 15th, but I’m checking my emails and portal every day... was wondering if someone reached out to you or if it was a generic email? Thanks :)

Thanks! I received an email to check the portal on Sunday. I went on expecting a rejection (since other people had claimed admission awhile back) so I was pretty surprised!! I think they're just making their way through the stack, keep your eyes peeled for an email!

2 minutes ago, foucaultscat said:

Thanks! I received an email to check the portal on Sunday. I went on expecting a rejection (since other people had claimed admission awhile back) so I was pretty surprised!! I think they're just making their way through the stack, keep your eyes peeled for an email!

Thanks for replying! Well done and congrats!! It’s great that you were offered full tuition- I think that’s pretty rare, so congrats! Did they mention a fellowship for living costs or anything?

Anyone else preparing for the PhD interviews at EUI? Luckily I've gotten a bit of information through common friends but having to present in front of a big panel makes me super nervous ?

Just now, cheetah said:

I applied to SAIS PhD too but no update yet. My friend said SAIS will release decisions around March 26.

I also heard of that deadline. Current students told me funding prospects is not that good at SAIS, plus they are admitting only 6 students this year, I guess.

2 hours ago, hannahbananapie said:

Thanks for replying! Well done and congrats!! It’s great that you were offered full tuition- I think that’s pretty rare, so congrats! Did they mention a fellowship for living costs or anything?

Thank you! They didn't mention living expenses so I don't expect there's a stipend of any kind (I can apply roles in the college if I like). I'm going to speak to them more about the PhD offer (unclear on funding), but I only applied for master's, so if there's no funding the PhD I probably won't be continuing through to that there. Still lots to figure out, but plenty of time.

7 hours ago, h_lenah said:

Anyone else preparing for the PhD interviews at EUI? Luckily I've gotten a bit of information through common friends but having to present in front of a big panel makes me super nervous ?

I declined my interview offer, but I have friends who have gone through interviews and got offers last year if you want to reach out :) 

16 hours ago, h_lenah said:

Hi there! Also currently prepping for my EUI phd interview. And, on the point of panel interviews - I don't know if you have had any yet, but in my experience zoom PhD panel interviews are far less intimidating than their real-life counterparts. If its mainly the 5 min presentation that makes you nervous, then you could definitely pin a single one of the admissions committee during your presentation to focus on and nobody would ever know ? And, feel free to reach out, I would be more than happy to share what I have heard about the interview - particularly so if you are not applying for the same national funding body haha ? (small nordic country)

1 hour ago, UsernamesAreUseless said:

Hi there! Also currently prepping for my EUI phd interview. And, on the point of panel interviews - I don't know if you have had any yet, but in my experience zoom PhD panel interviews are far less intimidating than their real-life counterparts. If its mainly the 5 min presentation that makes you nervous, then you could definitely pin a single one of the admissions committee during your presentation to focus on and nobody would ever know ? And, feel free to reach out, I would be more than happy to share what I have heard about the interview - particularly so if you are not applying for the same national funding body haha ? (small nordic country)

I did! Thank you for the replies :) also to @BrownSugar

Just heard back from Chicago -- 1/2 tuition offer with the total expenses coming out at about 40k without accounting for food/transportation/housing, so I'll be declining.

50 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Just heard back from Chicago -- 1/2 tuition offer with the total expenses coming out at about 40k without accounting for food/transportation/housing, so I'll be declining.

Same re: 1/2 funding - I would pay a lot less at a european program (my LSE offer jumps to mind) but wondering whether it's worth it to ask for more funding at MAPSS and try to see if I can afford it, as I think it would be better for my PhD applications particularly having never studied in the US before...

2 hours ago, defcaffeinated said:

Same re: 1/2 funding - I would pay a lot less at a european program (my LSE offer jumps to mind) but wondering whether it's worth it to ask for more funding at MAPSS and try to see if I can afford it, as I think it would be better for my PhD applications particularly having never studied in the US before...

It doesn't hurt to ask, particularly if you can mention other funding offers you have that top theirs (if you have). Otherwise, do not be worried about not having studied in the US that much (depending on which institutions you have studied at/will study at). I've never studied in the US before and still had a decent cycle all things considered. 

edit for typo 

Edited by BrownSugar

On 3/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, foucaultscat said:

Thank you! They didn't mention living expenses so I don't expect there's a stipend of any kind (I can apply roles in the college if I like). I'm going to speak to them more about the PhD offer (unclear on funding), but I only applied for master's, so if there's no funding the PhD I probably won't be continuing through to that there. Still lots to figure out, but plenty of time.

Yeah, fair enough! Good luck, I hope you receive good news about the PhD funding. Thanks for answering all of my questions. The NSSR is my last chance to get into a PhD programme in the US this cycle, so I’m really keen to hear about any updates!

12 hours ago, insightfulramblings said:

I was just notified that I got accepted off the waitlist at UMass!!!! To the beautiful person that turned down their spot, I owe you one! 

I ended up declining my offer to UMass a few weeks ago....sooooo I hope that I was the one that helped you but who knows. Anyway, congratulations ! 

Edited by polisci_gal

Hi all. Does anyone have any insight on the turnaround time with waitlists? What I mean is, if someone rescinds an offer would a DGS typically make an offer to a waitlisted student almost immediately or could it take several weeks (as seems to be the case for the above poster)? or is there simply too much variation between schools to infer a pattern? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

7 hours ago, polisci_gal said:

I ended up declining my offer to UMass a few weeks ago....sooooo I hope that I was the one that helped you but who knows. Anyway, congratulations ! 

Since we cannot know for sure, I am going with that you were the one that helped me out!! Thank you so much!!! Have you decided where you are going yet?

12 minutes ago, insightfulramblings said:

Since we cannot know for sure, I am going with that you were the one that helped me out!! Thank you so much!!! Have you decided where you are going yet?

Haha of course! I'm gathering you're accepting UMass then? I got an insane offer from the University of Western Ontario, so I accepted that and am going there in the fall :)