2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

10 minutes ago, natpvh72 said:

Hi. Thanks for letting people know. I applied to Mizzou and was rejected. Thought I had a good shot so I was a bit surprised to get the news. I was actually going to ask Mizzou for some suggestions for improvement on my application...

But why does the program not accept applications in the first place, rather than receiving them and then not admitting anyone?

That is a great question. I think they were back and forth if they could accept applications, and at the time of the application they thought they could. But, even though I go here, it took a lot of emails and zoom meetings to even figure that out. 

2 hours ago, insightfulramblings said:

I was rejected from the PhD program and offered a spot for the MA program on Feb. 1st. I would email the DGS, they have been responsive and helpful in my discussions with them. 

Same here!

Has anyone heard from Harvard? Still no news by email or portal. Seems they've sent out most of their acceptances already, but wondering if anyone has actually received a rejection yet.

5 hours ago, FranklinKing said:

Hi everyone! Long time observer, first time posting. 

I was wondering if anyone's heard back from BC since the last time people were talking about it in this thread (Jan 23-Feb 9, according to the search results). I'm getting very anxious and I'm debating if I should call the department to see when I should expect to hear back. I'd much rather email them but there's no address available for the department.. 

Here are my admission results so far (all PhD programs)-

Accepted: SUNY Buffalo

Rejected: Maryland, Missouri, UVA, USC, Colorado-Boulder

Pending: Boston College, Georgetown

My subfield is IR/comparative. This is my third time applying for PhD, and I feel like this cycle's been the most brutal. I hope everyone's taking care of themselves mentally and physically. Congratulations to all those who got in to their top choice programs, and best of luck to those still waiting!

I applied for the MA in political science program in BC and heard from them on Feb. 1st. 

2 hours ago, floortile said:

Same here!

Has anyone heard from Harvard? Still no news by email or portal. Seems they've sent out most of their acceptances already, but wondering if anyone has actually received a rejection yet.

Nothing yet. Operating with the working assumption that it's a rejection though, because it seems like acceptances and waitlists have both gone out.

18 hours ago, haribo21 said:

Hi I recently checked the past thread of MAPSS and realized that most of acceptance offer of MAPSS will be conveyed via portal not email. But I cannot find other portal except the application portal. And I do not have "my UChicago account" email. Do you already have this kind of account? And could you give me the exact address of portal to check the decision letter? Thank you.

Hi! Not sure if this answers your question or you already know this, but when you enter the portal, top right corner has a small drop-down option titled "Other Applications". Choose "2021 REF MA MAPSS". Voila. When decision is up, probably that little envelope icon will appear.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, nivy25 said:

+1 for the CIR offer! Same as the person above, more information will follow later! 

At least I have a solid back up if the waitlists don’t work out :)

Congrats! Have you or anyone else heard back about funding yet for UChicago CIR? I also got the email on Friday but the real celebration can't start until I hear about funding...

4 hours ago, djuric said:

Hi! Not sure if this answers your question or you already know this, but when you enter the portal, top right corner has a small drop-down option titled "Other Applications". Choose "2021 REF MA MAPSS". Voila. When decision is up, probably that little envelope icon will appear.

Thanks for your response!!! It seems that I have not accessed the right portal. I cannot find what you mentioned. I have thought the below is the right link to the portal. Is this the right one? Could you please leave the link to the portal you meant?

https://apply-ssd.uchicago.edu/apply/status

1 hour ago, elkzoom said:

Congrats! Have you or anyone else heard back about funding yet for UChicago CIR? I also got the email on Friday but the real celebration can't start until I hear about funding...

I haven’t heard yet! I totally get what you mean tho, I feel the same. 

They said it’ll follow “soon” which could mean a few days, or it could also mean a few weeks. Who knows. 

5 hours ago, djuric said:

That's not what I see? 

1 hour ago, haribo21 said:

Thanks for your response!!! It seems that I have not accessed the right portal. I cannot find what you mentioned. I have thought the below is the right link to the portal. Is this the right one? Could you please leave the link to the portal you meant?

This is where I'm at too.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.37.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.37.10 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, haribo21 said:

You got it, that's the right portal. Here's how it looks:

605981369_Screenshot_2021-03-03ApplicantStatusPortal.thumb.png.8299def13ea3941ca05d0eeaf98c80c5.png

54 minutes ago, djuric said:

You got it, that's the right portal. Here's how it looks:

605981369_Screenshot_2021-03-03ApplicantStatusPortal.thumb.png.8299def13ea3941ca05d0eeaf98c80c5.png

Thanks for your kindness! but mine looks like New_Frequency's one. But now I feel better thanks to you! Don't need to be worried about the portal thing hahaha. Thank you both!

Edited by haribo21

53 minutes ago, New_Frequency said:

No dropdown menu for me... have you actually received any decision?

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.53.21 PM.jpg

Aha, I think I get it now. I was referred from the PhD program, that explains the drop-down. And you applied directly to MAPSS, right? :) EDIT: And no, I didn't get the decision yet.

10 minutes ago, haribo21 said:

Thanks for your kindness! but mine looks like New_Frequency's one. But now I feel better thanks to you! Don't need to be worried about the portal thing hahaha. Thank you both!

Good luck!

Edited by djuric
Forgot to say something :)

4 hours ago, foucaultscat said:

I saw two admits for NSSR (New School) for Politics MA's... anyone else hear from them? 

Yes, i got an offer ysd as well. email directing to portal; 75% funding. 

Will decline soon, hope this means good news for someone else