2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

I am also claiming a waitlist on UGA's PhD Program. Also IR/subfield. Does anyone have any idea when they might reach out to waitlisted students? I have an offer from another university with a deadline of 15th March. I can't risk waiting longer, as that is my only offer with funding at the moment. Any advice?

19 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

I am also claiming a waitlist on UGA's PhD Program. Also IR/subfield. Does anyone have any idea when they might reach out to waitlisted students? I have an offer from another university with a deadline of 15th March. I can't risk waiting longer, as that is my only offer with funding at the moment. Any advice?

Is the deadline from Albany? If so it might be worth getting in touch with someone as their deadline shouldn't be before April 15th. If it's not a CGS (Council of Graduate Schools) member then you might want to reach out to UGA to tell them about your deadline. It might not change anything, but it's probably a good idea. 

36 minutes ago, Homeless said:

Is the deadline from Albany? If so it might be worth getting in touch with someone as their deadline shouldn't be before April 15th. If it's not a CGS (Council of Graduate Schools) member then you might want to reach out to UGA to tell them about your deadline. It might not change anything, but it's probably a good idea. 

Yes it is from Albany. I have sent an email to UGA telling about my situation. Hopefully it helps, or at least they'll let me know my chances. 

29 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

Yes it is from Albany. I have sent an email to UGA telling about my situation. Hopefully it helps, or at least they'll let me know my chances. 

That's curious. I thought all programs had the April 15th deadline, but obviously I was wrong.

20 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

That's curious. I thought all programs had the April 15th deadline, but obviously I was wrong.

An April 15th dealine would be perfect for my situation right now haha but I guess at least for UAlbany it's different

3 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

An April 15th dealine would be perfect for my situation right now haha but I guess at least for UAlbany it's different

Okay. I have you not heard from NYU yet? It might be a good time to reach out to them and check. I think I'd take Albany and not wait for Georgia if I was in your position

2 hours ago, Theory007 said:

Okay. I have you not heard from NYU yet? It might be a good time to reach out to them and check. I think I'd take Albany and not wait for Georgia if I was in your position

Right now I'll definitely pick Albany since Georgia is not certain but if they also give funding, well that will be though :D I'm thinking about reaching out to NYU as well but I think that's already a rejection at this point.

14 hours ago, HolyGinger said:

I wish everything work out for you at UAlbany! Regarding UGA, did they tell you anything about the waitlist? I sent an e-mail to the GDS inquiring about the cohort's size and also to know my chances.

35 minutes ago, applicant45457 said:

I wish everything work out for you at UAlbany! Regarding UGA, did they tell you anything about the waitlist? I sent an e-mail to the GDS inquiring about the cohort's size and also to know my chances.

Thanks! They have just returned my email but they didn't say anything about the cohort size. Only that the next round of offers probably won't come before March 15th. I guess my problem solved itself hahaha

11 hours ago, Homeless said:

It may be worth checking with the DGS on that. Most schools have an agreement that prohibits them from setting deadlines before April 15 (and I think Albany is one). It may be different for you, but there may have been a mistake. 

Well I they sent me the offer on 15th of February so I thought 15th of March was for everyone who got the offer 1 month prior to the deadline. It might also be that way cause I'm an international student and I assume it takes a loong long time to get a visa. I thought about asking them to possibly extend my deadline but I'm so sure that it would ne fair to others on UAlbany's waitlist to wait longer because of me. I'd really appreciate if anyone else had a similar experience and would want to share. Also, are there any UGA admits with funding who are thinking of rejecting their offer?

On 2/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, ps10 said:

Thanks for this! A question I have for the group regards point 3: to contact faculty or not to contact faculty? 

I am not from the US so am not sure about the customs there regarding reaching out to faculty during the applications process. I'd be grateful if people could share their thoughts and experiences of this. It has struck me that a lot of admits on this forum and the results page have first heard about it from their 'POIs'. To those who reached out: did you find this made a difference? How so? When did you reach out? To those who didn't: I'd also be very grateful to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks in advance everyone! 

I have contact some of the faculty members. For one school it helped me determine it was not the right school for me. I asked them about some classes that the professors was said to be teaching soon and was informed that the class has not, and will likely not be taught again for some time. In other instances professors I have who are recent alumni and helped me contact faculty members. I have never had a poor response/reaction from emailing a faculty member and most have been happy to answer any question. I don't think it hurt my application at all. If it helps according to my professors it allows for the possibility of name recognition when they are looking at applicants and they highly suggest we do it.  

Hi everyone! Long time observer, first time posting. 

I was wondering if anyone's heard back from BC since the last time people were talking about it in this thread (Jan 23-Feb 9, according to the search results). I'm getting very anxious and I'm debating if I should call the department to see when I should expect to hear back. I'd much rather email them but there's no address available for the department.. 

Here are my admission results so far (all PhD programs)-

Accepted: SUNY Buffalo

Rejected: Maryland, Missouri, UVA, USC, Colorado-Boulder

Pending: Boston College, Georgetown

My subfield is IR/comparative. This is my third time applying for PhD, and I feel like this cycle's been the most brutal. I hope everyone's taking care of themselves mentally and physically. Congratulations to all those who got in to their top choice programs, and best of luck to those still waiting!

12 minutes ago, FranklinKing said:

I was wondering if anyone's heard back from BC since the last time people were talking about it in this thread (Jan 23-Feb 9, according to the search results). I'm getting very anxious and I'm debating if I should call the department to see when I should expect to hear back. I'd much rather email them but there's no address available for the department.. 

My subfield is IR/comparative. This is my third time applying for PhD, and I feel like this cycle's been the most brutal. I hope everyone's taking care of themselves mentally and physically. Congratulations to all those who got in to their top choice programs, and best of luck to those still waiting!

I would email the DGS before calling, but if you don't hear anything it might be ok to call.

Hi I recently checked the past thread of MAPSS and realized that most of acceptance offer of MAPSS will be conveyed via portal not email. But I cannot find other portal except the application portal. And I do not have "my UChicago account" email. Do you already have this kind of account? And could you give me the exact address of portal to check the decision letter? Thank you.

53 minutes ago, FranklinKing said:

I was rejected from the PhD program and offered a spot for the MA program on Feb. 1st. I would email the DGS, they have been responsive and helpful in my discussions with them. 

1 hour ago, FranklinKing said:

Hey, so I go to Missouri (Mizzou). We just straight up don't have a PhD program next fall because of lack of funding due to Covid. Just wanted to let you know.  

forever lurking so hi there. congrats to all of you have have gotten acceptances.

there's no easy way to say this, but please, if you have an offer elsewhere especially with funding, please please considering declining UGA. It is quite literally the only hope I have and I have dream professors there. I hate to even post this, but this is bringing so much pain. There's no way to explain the importance of this place (especially not without creating a dissertation itself on it), but please please, please consider declining, and sooner rather than later. 

Edited by poliscipls

1 hour ago, ballofstress said:

Hey, so I go to Missouri (Mizzou). We just straight up don't have a PhD program next fall because of lack of funding due to Covid. Just wanted to let you know.  

Hi. Thanks for letting people know. I applied to Mizzou and was rejected. Thought I had a good shot so I was a bit surprised to get the news. I was actually going to ask Mizzou for some suggestions for improvement on my application...

But why does the program not accept applications in the first place, rather than receiving them and then not admitting anyone?

Edited by natpvh72

2 hours ago, FranklinKing said:

Congrats on the SUNY Buffalo acceptance!!

Can you share when and how you receive the decision from Maryland? I still haven't heard anything from them.

Thanks.